BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

E39 M5 Oil Usage

5K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  msport 
Hi, I have a 99 M5, and I was adding a quart every tank almost! I did a lot of reading on here, and currently my M5 is in the shop, getting the oil breather / crankcase valves changed, once I get the car back, I will report as to wether it has helped the oil consumption!

I had read a few posts about them getting clogged, and so the oil just gets burned off instead of being pumped around... Hopefully this works, and I will post my results once it's ready!

Hi Gareth, was going to be posting shortly...

So far driven about 500km (one tank of gas-ish) and the oil level has berely moved, so I am shyishly optimistic that the breather valves were to blame on my high comsumption.. thanks to all here for the help, and i will post a report at 1000km, and then every 1000km's after that to keep you up to date on how the breather valves are going.... so far, so good!:M5thumbs:

Sorry for the delay in getting back... I was driving a few days ago and as I turned off my car I heard the dreaded "Ding" and the OBC said "Check Oil Level"... I have been using an independent BMW garage. As much as I hate it, time to go to the dealer.. starting to feel like the car is "chugging" as you start to drive it, stops after a minute, but I think something is not right... I cleaned the MAFS, but used simple green, maybe I should just get a new set... but yeah, I was very sad when the oil message came up, about 1250 km's...:crying:

Pip said:
ttboyvanc,
Now that we are in October what has been the overall result in your oil consumption since you had that work done on your beast?
Pip
Still pretty bad, a liter every 750-1000 km's. I have taken it back to the indie place, going to give them one more chance to see if they can correct it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.