BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow BMW Lovers,

Yesterday while removing the top cover of my engine (as I want to get it painted) I found oil in the box.. This is the Plenelum (if thats how you spell it) box. There are 2 holes with some sort of breathers (ref pics 1124, 1125) on the front of the box and it seems like the oil has spat out from there.

Any ideas why, how, what needs to be done?

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oil in the plenum in smaller amounts (ex. not flowing out into the intake tubes and the airbox) is normal for this engine. Yours looks like mine, if not a bit lighter. Read up on oil separators and you'll get plenty of info on how the sytem works.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hi,

The oil spitting into your PLENUM is most likely from your oil separtors (1 and 2) which when not performing well will allow more oil into the plenum and less down the drain pipes (9 and 10) back into the sump, than normal.

SO I would advise inspecting/replacing 1, 2, 3, 12, 14 and finally 9 and 10 (but difficult to change with Thermostat in place).

·
Registered
524 Posts
looks no different from mine, I'd swap out you seperators and hoses, not that expensive, me and Jay just completed mine and my old seperators were full of gunk..........

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't think there is much merit in replacing the oil separators unless they are physically damaged. There is nothing special to these things, if you're worried take them off, and wash them up and refit. Literally, just take them off and get a good degreaser that's plastic friendly and pump it through, and wash them up using washing up liquid in the washing up bowl. I wouldn't replace them, I did this and I think it's a complete waste of time and money. I would check your pipes going from the rocker cover to the separators, are these soggy? They should be very firm, so if they are soggy change them.

Other than that, I think what you have here isn't anything to be alarmed about, I would clean up thoroughly check the pipes and then check again a couple of weeks down the line.

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The oil seperators can be very hard to remove and to be honest, with that amount of oil I'd do nothing at all.

I'm not being lazy at all, but what you have there is absolutley fine and of no issue, in trying to fix it and removing lots of things you can damage the breathers or rubber pipes and then have to spend money just getting it back to how it was before you touched it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts