BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the purchase of an E39 M5 and am wondering if I could get some advice. Is there any advantage to going with a later model E39 M5 ... were there any note-worthy changes between the years of 2000-2003 that would make the later model a better buy?
Thank you.

·
Registered
680 Posts
speedemn said:
I am considering the purchase of an E39 M5 and am wondering if I could get some advice. Is there any advantage to going with a later model E39 M5 ... were there any note-worthy changes between the years of 2000-2003 that would make the later model a better buy?
Thank you.
Obviously nobody else wants to touch this... :hihi:

All right, all right. I'll give it a whirl.

Speedemn, what I am going to tell you is not all-encompassing. Use the search feature and you will find multiple posts on this.

There was a change between the 2000 cars and the 2001-2003.

The early cars, the 2000s have a different steering wheel, gauges, nav. system and many of these cars experienced excess oil consumption. It's also not uncommon for the VANOS system to be replaced.

The 2001-'03s have a different steering wheel, new nav system, new gauges, etc. There are a few differences in exterior color choices and some say that there is a difference in the finish of the shadow chrome wheels between the '00s and '01-'03s.

Good luck!
-Matthew

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that someone would chime in with the "use the search" phrase, since I too do it on my current forums... :D I should have specified earlier, I did do a search and read through about 2 full pages worth of threads and found nothing overly helpful. My keywords were "e39 model year difference". However outside of the minor cosmetic changes that you mentioned (and the fact that the 2000 consumed oil), was there really anything notable such as slightly better engine power output (I know that they were all rated at 400hp flywheel on paper, but did maybe some of the later years put down more power to the wheels, when dynoed for example?)

So from the sounds of what you say, the 01-03 are pretty much the same, except maybe some different colour choices... am I correct? Colour doesn't really matter to me since I will be looking for a black on black one.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The attached site gives the complete history of the E39 M5 as well as changes during its history.

SITE:http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=18

speedemn said:
I knew that someone would chime in with the "use the search" phrase, since I too do it on my current forums... :D I should have specified earlier, I did do a search and read through about 2 full pages worth of threads and found nothing overly helpful. My keywords were "e39 model year difference". However outside of the minor cosmetic changes that you mentioned (and the fact that the 2000 consumed oil), was there really anything notable such as slightly better engine power output (I know that they were all rated at 400hp flywheel on paper, but did maybe some of the later years put down more power to the wheels, when dynoed for example?)

So from the sounds of what you say, the 01-03 are pretty much the same, except maybe some different colour choices... am I correct? Colour doesn't really matter to me since I will be looking for a black on black one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts