BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.

I'm changing up my fluids choices and I want to make sure that whatever I use (Liqui Moly most likely) meets or exceeds the standards set by BMW.

I'm hoping there are specs for all the fluids, engine oil, ps, brake, coolant, Transmission, clutch, Differential
while the factory viscosities are nice to have, I am speaking directly to the industry standard specifications that define whether a fluid meets the manufacturer's standards.

Thanks
RG

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
hey.

I'm changing up my fluids choices and I want to make sure that whatever I use (Liqui Moly most likely) meets or exceeds the standards set by BMW.

I'm hoping there are specs for all the fluids, engine oil, ps, brake, coolant, Transmission, clutch, Differential
while the factory viscosities are nice to have, I am speaking directly to the industry standard specifications that define whether a fluid meets the manufacturer's standards.

Thanks
RG
Wouldn't that be in the Owner's Manual?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think there would be a table or individual info, but there isnt, the only reference to engine oil specs, for example, say that IF you cant find BMW brand oil, you can add small amounts of synthetic oil to the crankcase until you can get some BMW oil... and that you should use only oils with the API SH specification or higher.
I've always been under the impression that automotive fluids have diff stuff in them, amounts of sulfur and other chemical properties that meet the standards of the application.

the owners manual PDF that I have, is very light on information in these areas.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
You would think there would be a table or individual info, but there isnt, the only reference to engine oil specs, for example, say that IF you cant find BMW brand oil, you can add small amounts of synthetic oil to the crankcase until you can get some BMW oil... and that you should use only oils with the API SH specification or higher.
I've always been under the impression that automotive fluids have diff stuff in them, amounts of sulfur and other chemical properties that meet the standards of the application.

the owners manual PDF that I have, is very light on information in these areas.
You have the spec to look for on oil. Most approved oil is Long Life (LL). There is a ton of info on oil specs on here. Search is your friend (although it will take some sorting).

Personally, I use either LM 10w-60, or M1 15w-50 (not cold where I live). I like M1 synth ATF for power steering, M1 75w-140 fluid for the diff, and MTL for the tranny.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
gsfent
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing