BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,just wanna ask did E39 M5's come with different Imola red colours or just one?Just that i see some really bright like Quicksilver's car and others a bit more maroon,and i would like the colour code for Imola Red,changing my car from Oxford Green to Imola.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Color code is 405.

Doesn't it cost thousands to do a repaint well? How bad is your paint now?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
eletric red(code 438)

Imola red

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Oxford Green to Imola Red? Thats a big job to get the entire engine compartment, sills, every edge, nook and cranny. But if you can get it done, and done right... power to you!

Reactions: Flyin-m5

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You can't go by photos.... Lighting and settings make a huge difference to how a picture turns out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Imola is beautiful, but going from Oxford to Imola is a step backwards. LOL. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nope, they did a couple variants of imola red I will check and verify my color code for you. For example here is a picture of my Imola red next to another imola red car, although different shade. Same with other imola red M3s I have parked next to, there are at least 2-3 variants.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bingo,i want the colour code for the Red on the M5 with the black roof!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Mine is listed as Imolarot 2 (405) according to the VIN. Build is September 2001, as a 2002 Model year car.

The depth of paint care/fading will also influence the shade you see. For example, my car is waxed and detailed regularly and the paint pops compared to some other Imola Red cars.

Reactions: Flyin-m5

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nope, they did a couple variants of imola red I will check and verify my color code for you. For example here is a picture of my Imola red next to another imola red car, although different shade. Same with other imola red M3s I have parked next to, there are at least 2-3 variants.
according to these production numbers M5Portal.com all imola red e39 m5's are Imolarot II (paint code 405). This color will really pop and be bright in direct sunlight if it is properly cleaned, waxed, polished and detailed, yet in cloudy/overcast conditions, it shows hints of burgundy/maroon. if it is not properly detailed, in direct sunlight it will look paler, yet with a darker shade of red. another red to consider is paint code 438 (hellrot/japanrot/electric red). it looks very similar to imolarot in direct sunlight, however, it retains its bright shade in indirect light as well, and does not display the hints of maroon/burgundy in darker conditions.
both are very nice colors.

Reactions: DesertTech

·
Registered
34 Posts
Excellent advice. Of note, the newer Hellrot showing up on more recent models looks a lot more orange. The E39 hellrot doesn't show this orange, it is more bright cherry red with imola seeming a deeper red. Both awesome and my personal favorites for the E39 (biased, to be sure)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts