BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
so here is the update on the final piece of the puzzle. I was told that I need a sirius antenna splitter. I have the Fakra adapter piece (as advised in earlier part of the thread) and was told that I need to purchase a sirius antenna adapter ( Shakespeare Cable Kits / Antenna Splitter for Sirius Satellite Radio ) and this is the part that is now sold out and I cant find. Do I need this piece or will the Fakra piece suffice or what are my alternatives as I am so close
Sorry for the delay its been a hectic week. Below are the photos I was able to take:

The bottom two images are wiring that is not reachable. I purchased the new radio part number 65-12-6-988-275 but would I still need to go to the dealership and update the firmware to get this thing working?
You will need the splitter as you SIRIUS tuner has two antenna connections (one is down looking orbital signal, the other is for terrestrial repeaters). IIRC BMW required this to improve reception and further reduce signal loss. They have since gone away from this, and the signal differentiation is internal to the tuner. I do not know why, if the SDARS antenna is attached, that the tuners don't work on that signal alone, may have something to do with attenuation or other such witchcraft.

2013-02-18 Capture01.JPG

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You will need the splitter as you SIRIUS tuner has two antenna connections (one is down looking orbital signal, the other is for terrestrial repeaters). IIRC BMW required this to improve reception and further reduce signal loss. They have since gone away from this, and the signal differentiation is internal to the tuner. I do not know why, if the SDARS antenna is attached, that the tuners don't work on that signal alone, may have something to do with attenuation or other such witchcraft.
You're amazing!

You and I met @ the Timmayfest dinner (briefly). My wife and I sat across the table from you a little ways down.

Thanks for the write up and support in this thread.

I have OEM Sirius and there is NO WAY I couldve given the support you have.

Well done.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
You're amazing!

You and I met @ the Timmayfest dinner (briefly). My wife and I sat across the table from you a little ways down.

Thanks for the write up and support in this thread.

I have OEM Sirius and there is NO WAY I couldve given the support you have.

Well done.
Thank you sir. I look forward to meeting you again and getting better acquainted at TimmayFest this year.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I will say however, that I dont get a display in my OBC read out.

I have OEM Sirius module running thru the KCA/Intravee II.

Maybe I do, I just havent been in it in awhile, Beast is in hibernation.

Trunk is torn apart right now as well.

Ill look again for sure when I start her up in the spring.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
If I am following this thread correctly, these parts and adapters are for an OEM satellite radio setup? I currently have the DICE Mediabridge with the SC-C1 tuner, so far it works great, would work better if I placed the antenna in a better spot for a stronger signal, but no complaints. Just takes getting used to the interface and navigating through it. How does the interface look on the Navi screen after this install?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If I am following this thread correctly, these parts and adapters are for an OEM satellite radio setup? I currently have the DICE Mediabridge with the SC-C1 tuner, so far it works great, would work better if I placed the antenna in a better spot for a stronger signal, but no complaints. Just takes getting used to the interface and navigating through it. How does the interface look on the Navi screen after this install?
The SAT radio presets work the same as on AM & FM tuners. Other than that the ESN is accessed via holding the "INFO" button for 5 seconds or so. Channel & catagory lists via the right side knob.

2013-02-18_13-22-59_16a.jpg

2013-02-18_13-21-55_166a.jpg

2013-02-18_13-21-40_435a.jpg

2013-02-18_13-23-16_932a.jpg

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I put my antenna in the rear high mount brake light housing.

Great reception and its totally stealth.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I put my antenna in the rear high mount brake light housing.

Great reception and its totally stealth.
Mine is behind the centre position child seat latch on top of the parcel shelf. Not as stealthy as under the parcel shelf, but my signal was compromised so signal quality outweighed stealth.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ah this is nice! If I end up keeping my car i am going to have to do this. I believe Hdntr explained this to me a few months ago. I have my antenna mounted behind the c-pillar. My goal was for ultra-stealth while still mounted on a large metal surface. But unfortunately with c-pillar cover laid over it disrupts the signal, but not as often as you would think. Mainly on road trips, out in the open road in between cities/towns.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ah this is nice! If I end up keeping my car i am going to have to do this. I believe Hdntr explained this to me a few months ago. I have my antenna mounted behind the c-pillar. My goal was for ultra-stealth while still mounted on a large metal surface. But unfortunately with c-pillar cover laid over it disrupts the signal, but not as often as you would think. Mainly on road trips, out in the open road in between cities/towns.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
The SIRIUS antenna is intended to be mounted such that it is upward looking, as the signal is down looking. If you relocate the antenna to the parcel shelf this will pretty much eliminate LOS (Loss Of Signal). Hdntr has his under the parcel shelf cover over the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Got the sirius part from ecs tuning and plugged it in as pictured. I am not getting the option however when hitting mode on the on board computer

Advice?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Got the sirius part from ecs tuning and plugged it in as pictured. I am not getting the option however when hitting mode on the on board computer

Advice?

Power down the I-bus, disconnect the I-bus lead to the Sirius tuner. Power up the i-bus, confirm normal operation of the stereo system. If everything is working properly, power down the i-bus and re attach the Sirius. Hopefully, this will reset the tuner and everything will be running again.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
OK, so that's one of the most recent BM53s, should be no problem having the Sirius source if everything else is working correctly.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The SIRIUS antenna is intended to be mounted such that it is upward looking, as the signal is down looking. If you relocate the antenna to the parcel shelf this will pretty much eliminate LOS (Loss Of Signal). Hdntr has his under the parcel shelf cover over the CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Lamp).
My only problem with this is that the antenna isn't attached to a metal surface. I have seen many installs with the antenna inside the CHMSL, but there isn't anything to hold it down, the same goes for antennas that are placed on top of the CHMSL. If you hit a bump or anything, can cause the antenna to bounce around thus LOS.

Like i said before, the location where my antenna is at currently is great, considering that it can not be seen and still gets a pretty good reception for its location.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
My only problem with this is that the antenna isn't attached to a metal surface. I have seen many installs with the antenna inside the CHMSL, but there isn't anything to hold it down, the same goes for antennas that are placed on top of the CHMSL. If you hit a bump or anything, can cause the antenna to bounce around thus LOS.

Like i said before, the location where my antenna is at currently is great, considering that it can not be seen and still gets a pretty good reception for its location.
My antenna does not move. I placed a large (as large an O.D. as would fit) thick fender washer under the cover for the LATCH. As the XM antenna is lower profile and rather square shaped it is almost undetectable behind the LATCH anchor. I will get a pic. and post later.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
My antenna does not move. I placed a large (as large an O.D. as would fit) thick fender washer under the cover for the LATCH. As the XM antenna is lower profile and rather square shaped it is almost undetectable behind the LATCH anchor. I will get a pic. and post later.
As promised...
2013-02-25_23-22-42_599.jpg

2013-02-25_23-23-12_659.jpg

2013-02-25_23-23-33_581.jpg

41 - 60 of 104 Posts