BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm with Kiz I wish I had a Quickjack anytime I want to do something quickish like brake bleeding. I doubt I would do a clutch with it though.
I have the Esco's and trust them. Even so if I'm underneath I pull the wheels and put them under the frame.

I use a floor jack on a front side jack point to raise the nose enough to get my low profile jack to the center point so I don't need ramps.
Speaking of wishing I had a QuickJack...

This was the first time getting the Cayman up on 4 jack stands and figuring out the best way to do it took like an hour.

The handle of my jack was interfering with the jack stand so I couldn't place it in the right spot. :grrrr:

So I had to bring the jack in from the front of the car, but of course I didn't have enough clearance so I put a 2x8" underneath. Tried again. Nope, still not enough clearance. Added more wood until I could slide it in far enough to raise it.

Normally I don't need to get the car this high for things like oil changes or brake bleeding, but I'm doing the water pump & thermostat and wanted plenty of room. But getting the front left side so high raised the entire front end, so now I'm scrambling to get wood under the right side tire so the chassis isn't flexing all over the place. íAy dios mio!

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
Just going to state the obvious, you have the space and clearly the coin, buy yourself a two post lift. My convenience is worth three grand easy. The space would cost me 20 more and that is not worth my convenience.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
That's a negative with an 8-ft ceiling.
Not at all. Makes the work lower is all.The posts are less than 8' , you just move the safety bar down to 7'10" to prevent the lift from going higher. The shop I work on my RS4 in is 8', we do things in rolling office chairs, or get a sore back standing hunched.

·
2,486 Posts
Not at all. Makes the work lower is all.The posts are less than 8' , you just move the safety bar down to 7'10" to prevent the lift from going higher. The shop I work on my RS4 in is 8', we do things in rolling office chairs, or get a sore back standing hunched.
This or even going with a four post lift, which can be had in shorter lift heights, will make all the difference in the world. Four post lifts take up a lot of space but every time I use the two post rotary, I just cannot see being without it.

Ignore the trainwreck mess on the benches even though I am pointing it out!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
How wide are these two posts generally? I got the height for sure but always wondered about the width.

·
2,486 Posts
How wide are these two posts generally? I got the height for sure but always wondered about the width.
Mine is 11' 5.4" wide. I have regularly used the lift for a 2006 GMC Sierra extended cab duramax, lifts it no sweat, I do have motorized extending mirrors and those are pulled in when on the lift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone used the maxjax? I’ve had this same debate about quickjack vs jackstands and have talked myself out of the quickjack for the most part. But whenever I get on my back for a longer duration I envy those with a proper lift but still value my garage space for the 95% of the time I likely don’t need a lift. Maxjax seems to offer best of both worlds at a tolerable price.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Of course I just bought a quickjack and now I read on here my m5 won't fit on it, so that's awesome. I guess I can use it on the mustang with the jacking rails and marauders which are body on frame.

I don't plan on doing big jobs on this, I'll be buying a rotary 2 post soon enough. This was more for simple jobs and possibly detailing as well.

Has anyone used the maxjax? I’ve had this same debate about quickjack vs jackstands and have talked myself out of the quickjack for the most part. But whenever I get on my back for a longer duration I envy those with a proper lift but still value my garage space for the 95% of the time I likely don’t need a lift. Maxjax seems to offer best of both worlds at a tolerable price.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com

These are actual garbage. A friend of mine, who used to own my m5 actually, owned one of these and we had to do a bit of work to it to make it quasi-safe.

We had to shim the blocks inside the lift posts because out of the box, the car would rock up and down at least an inch if not more while you were working on it. The carriers had so much side to side play.

if you're buying a lift, get something ALI certified, the maxjax worked but wow was it sketchy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Of course I just bought a quickjack and now I read on here my m5 won't fit on it, so that's awesome. I guess I can use it on the mustang with the jacking rails and marauders which are body on frame.

I don't plan on doing big jobs on this, I'll be buying a rotary 2 post soon enough. This was more for simple jobs and possibly detailing as well.

These are actual garbage. A friend of mine, who used to own my m5 actually, owned one of these and we had to do a bit of work to it to make it quasi-safe.

We had to shim the blocks inside the lift posts because out of the box, the car would rock up and down at least an inch if not more while you were working on it. The carriers had so much side to side play.

if you're buying a lift, get something ALI certified, the maxjax worked but wow was it sketchy.

Well that’s unfortunate. I was getting excited that this may fit my needs/wants for a “budget” friendly option. A two/four post lift just won’t fit in my garage or make it otherwise useless for storing actual cars and other non vehicle related work. I guess it’s time to move to a bigger house (or smaller house with bigger garage)

·
Registered
11 Posts

Well that’s unfortunate. I was getting excited that this may fit my needs/wants for a “budget” friendly option. A two/four post lift just won’t fit in my garage or make it otherwise useless for storing actual cars and other non vehicle related work. I guess it’s time to move to a bigger house (or smaller house with bigger garage)

·
Registered
172 Posts

To quote my friend who owned this, it's better than not having a lift at all. But by all means, do not expect this to be a high quality product, it's not. Expect to have to do some tweaking, he ended up getting extra hydraulic hose so he could move the pump farther back, the hoses they give are kind of short and you end up tripping over them all the time.

I remember putting my e23 on this lift, the lift pads were so big that the car was being lifted by the rubber corners of the lift pads.

We have done a ton of jobs on that thing though. Engine pulls, engine installs, auto to manual trans conversion, rear end refreshes, you name it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Never even heard of maxjack. Anything that obtrusive wouldn't be good for my garage space. I really need to have stuff I can tuck out of the way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just going to state the obvious, you have the space and clearly the coin, buy yourself a two post lift. My convenience is worth three grand easy. The space would cost me 20 more and that is not worth my convenience.

Cayman and Pittsburgh jack seen in the pic doesn’t quite say he has the coin.. can you say fancy Miata ? Lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
You just need the extensions, right? I know that's like another $200 or so but that should take care of it.
I think they make the jack too tall to get under the car and lift properly. I've seen people either using long piece of rectangular tubing metal or 2x6 plywood so if it becomes a problem, I'll look into something like that. Or I could try and center it to split the difference, it goes 60" wide and the jack points are 61" apart.

We'll see, first I must assemble it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Tried out the jackstand+integrated Jack previously mentioned in this thread (Powerbuilt Jackstand+Jack and it's a fantastic item. My main need was the rear jack points since there really is no central rear jack point other than the differential which really isn't an ideal jack point as it's suspended in rubber bushings. As mentioned these jack stands are a little too tall so some initial jacking is required on the diff but barely. Just a couple inches max which doesn't even max out the rear suspension travel. Then you throw the two rear jackstand+jack combos and let 'em rip. So awesome. One of my favorite car-related buys in a long time.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Tried out the jackstand+integrated Jack previously mentioned in this thread (Powerbuilt Jackstand+Jack and it's a fantastic item. My main need was the rear jack points since there really is no central rear jack point other than the differential which really isn't an ideal jack point as it's suspended in rubber bushings. As mentioned these jack stands are a little too tall so some initial jacking is required on the diff but barely. Just a couple inches max which doesn't even max out the rear suspension travel. Then you throw the two rear jackstand+jack combos and let 'em rip. So awesome. One of my favorite car-related buys in a long time.
Side note, never jack by the diff despite what the interwebz says unless you want cracked subframes.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts