BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the beast has been backfiring, bogging down in the cold and popping and pinging when I blip the throttle when it is warm. On freeway onramps (especially those hard right ones) the car literally stumbles and two times has gone into limp home mode. The MAFs were replaced as that was the code at the dealership that stated a probem. Car runs better, but still stumbles and just again today went into limp home mode on the same onramp. So...fuel filter, pressure regulator, coils? Has anyone else had this issue under cornering and acceleration?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine was acting similiar...

Mine's in the shop now, getting the throttle body actuator replaced. The test showed it was opening very slowly and not 100%
Beware, 4-5 hours of labor to get to these parts, and its a $4-500 dollar part (at least that is what I have been told)

My car was acTIng the same way, and it only got progressivley worse, Finally going into limp home mode as soon as I started the motor

I am also relacing the purge valve (think) while they are in there ($85)

May or may not be your problem, but run some codes and see what it says

Good luck

Rich

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Dealership ran codes and diagnosed as bad MAF's, and although it is running significantly better that knock/ping I get when I blip the throttle, and the cornering acceleration (straight accelration OK), has me thinking it is a fuel delivery issue like a pressure regulator or a fuel line/filter problem? Does the Peake Code reader work best for this? I have a regular OBDII reader but not the one many talk about on the board.

This car sat in a garage for a while and had only 27,000 miles when I got it two years back. Wondering if being in storage a long time would cause this issue?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
You're going to throw a code because of this; a peake reader is ideal, as you'll get BMW specific codes on top of emission codes, but OBD2 scanner will work as well.

If it's bad MAFS, then obviously replace your MAFS. You could try cleaning them first with sensor cleaner, but I think you'll be wasting $5 for a can.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Might as well replace the fuel filter if it's never been changed. It's not very expensive, very easy to do, and will probably make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Dealership ran codes and diagnosed as bad MAF's,
If they are going to replace the MAFs, firstly keep the removed ones, and secondly don't pay for them if the symptoms persist.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big improvement after replacing the MAF's but still have hesitation and pinging noise when I blip the throttle. No more codes showing so I am guessing on fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator at this point, unless someone has any other ideas. I think I am going to start with fuel filter replacement and will report back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts