BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm want to know if anyone else here has got this p1603 manufacture specific powertrain trouble code.Control Module Self Test, Torque Monitoring. I've replaced mafs, o2's, spark plugs, coil packs. Car is running rich. Truly stumped. Any help would be much appreciated. I barley rev it and then the car goes straight into failsafe mode. Please Help. Thanks :confused2

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Is the throttle actuator performing its post run test? Open the hood with the engine running. Turn the engine off (key out) and listen for a click from under the plenum.

When the engine is shut down the throttle control performs a post run test by opening and closing the throttles. If the throttle actuator is failing this test. The DME will set the failsafe as there is no longer proper control of the throttle.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
That's an unusual code. What code reader are you using? Sometimes generic OBDII readers get these OEM-specific codes wrong. With rich running and failsafe operation, it sounds more like you have a serious misfire or fuel control problem. Or possibly a drive-by-wire problem as you suggest, because that puts the car into failsafe big time.

Any of these problems should give you a logical code, not the mysterious P1603.

Do you have access to a Peake reader or INPA or DIS?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Peake Code 1b C3

Bumping this post since the code referenced is similar to the one I'm getting.

On a cold start, after a few moments, CEL will light up and the engine will go to failsafe mode. Using the peake reader, the code pulled is C3. No other codes.

Control Unit Self-Test Torque Manager Monitoring.

If i continue idling and let the engine warm op to normal operating temperature, I can reset the code and everything runs smoothly like normal.

I've searched and haven't found any explanations for this specific code. Please let me know if you guys have any insights! THANKS!

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
You can search to your hearts content and likely will not find an answer. Since it does throw a failsafe warning on the OBC then I would venture a guess it might be throttle actuator or throttle movement. Maybe something is sticky cold but once warm the small expansion frees it up. All I can suggest is you look and feel how that moves.

I think in other threads throttles binding a bit cause TPS codes. I really have no idea but it is a place to start.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did anyone ever find an answer to this? I randomly get the this Code and car goes
In fail safe and loose all throttle response. After letting the car sit a couple hours it goes back to normal. Circumstances for the code to come up have varied. It has been almost a year since I last saw it happened and it went away on its own and yesterday it came back out of nowhere along with 8D fill tank implausible... Pretty confused

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did anyone ever find an answer to this? I randomly get the this Code and car goes
In fail safe and loose all throttle response. After letting the car sit a couple hours it goes back to normal. Circumstances for the code to come up have varied. It has been almost a year since I last saw it happened and it went away on its own and yesterday it came back out of nowhere along with 8D fill tank implausible... Pretty confused

·
Registered
44 Posts
Still no definitive answer to this one. My beast's issue has gotten worse. Now, even if I clear the code, the engine will throw the C3 code again on startup. The accelerator no effect now, zero throttle response. Hopefully I've got a new throttle actuator coming and I'll see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you have any tunes on your car?

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Subscribe to this thread I contacted Matt already he's working on a solution, this happened to me when I got their tune too

Reactions: jojima

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks DaZeekSta. Hopefully they can come up with something. I read through the other thread. My car is now having the dead accelerator pedal right after startup. Can't even rev or drive it at all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah that's what I was experiencing, I'm just glad we found the common denominator

1 - 20 of 28 Posts