BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys Im wondering what the difference between the 2 ESS supercharger kits are. I know the 560 is the updated version. I’ve heard that there was a update with injectors but wasn’t sure if that was about it. Any one could shed some light, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
Hey guys Im wondering what the difference between the 2 ESS supercharger kits are. I know the 560 is the updated version. I’ve heard that there was a update with injectors but wasn’t sure if that was about it. Any one could shed some light, I would appreciate it.
The kits both use pretty much the same hardware. Vortech 3si supercharger. 96mm pulley.

The original 550 kit had marginal size injectors. It was at the edge for the stock 96mm pulley. But when people went to the 92mm pulley, the injectors were very inadequate. The new kit has slightly bigger injectors.

The original kit also had issues with the cold air intake. A lot of them were collapsing under boost, limiting boost. Once that was discovered, it was an easy fix.

Finally, the original programming left something to be desired. I suspect the programming also got an upgrade.

And of course, the price came way down as competitors entered the market.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The kits both use pretty much the same hardware. Vortech 3si supercharger. 96mm pulley.

The original 550 kit had marginal size injectors. It was at the edge for the stock 96mm pulley. But when people went to the 92mm pulley, the injectors were very inadequate. The new kit has slightly bigger injectors.

The original kit also had issues with the cold air intake. A lot of them were collapsing under boost, limiting boost. Once that was discovered, it was an easy fix.

Finally, the original programming left something to be desired. I suspect the programming also got an upgrade.

Regards,
Jerry

Regards,
Jerry
the reason I was asking is someone is selling one without the injectors and obviously the tune. I was wondering if it was worth it to purchase it or to just get a 560 kit from ESS themselves.

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
the reason I was asking is someone is selling one without the injectors and obviously the tune. I was wondering if it was worth it to purchase it or to just get a 560 kit from ESS themselves.
Depends in part on price. I got much bigger injectors (440mm, the 560 kit has something like 315mm if I recall correctly). You can find 440 cc Bosch injectors online (also known as Big Green's).

The key is the tune. I used Frank Smith. Magician.

There are other good options for tuning. Look around the Board here.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They guy is asking 3k for the kit. So I would have to spend $500 on injectors and $700-$800 for a good tune. I guess the real question is whether ESS will sell me a kit without injectors and tune so I could put in my own but I doubt it. I really appreciate your input. How long have you been running your setup for?? Any issues with the kit?? Anything I should be looking out for???

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
only issue I would say is heat soak is considerable. consider a meth/water injection kit, aquamist is a good option. Fitment of the intake charge pipe is also a pain and requires the correct angle in order to secure properly.

The ESS kits are assembled/ to order, so they may very well sell you a partial kit. Just contact them

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
They guy is asking 3k for the kit. So I would have to spend $500 on injectors and $700-$800 for a good tune. I guess the real question is whether ESS will sell me a kit without injectors and tune so I could put in my own but I doubt it. I really appreciate your input. How long have you been running your setup for?? Any issues with the kit?? Anything I should be looking out for???

Thanks
Ken
I doubt they would sell a "kit" without all the parts. I think they have a warranty and obviously that would be void. I guess there is no harm in asking, but tossing the injectors you get with the kit is not that big of a deal. Kits are about 1/2 the price when they first came out at least 10 years ago. If you like the tune keep it, if you are running meth, you need another tune anyway (IMHO).

I have been running mine for over 10 years. But I have modified it with bigger injectors along with a couple of tunes along the way. I also have the Aquamist trunk mounted meth setup, which is fine for anything short of a racetrack for heat soak.

Depending on mileage, I would consider replacing the rod bearings with coated ones (do a search). Some people upgrade the fuel pump; I run a stock pump but the Kenne Bell boost-a-pump setup. When Frank Smith tuned my car, he said he could tune around the Kenne Bell setup, so I just left it alone. Point being, you may not need it, depending on who is doing your tune.

Otherwise, the setup has been very reliable. With a 92mm pulley, it pulls good at low rpm and by the time you hit around 3000 rpm, it is pulling hard. Favorite is actually 3rd gear, you get to feel the acceleration for a bit before you run out of room.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll look into it. The car is getting a “tune up” in the next 60 days where bearings, vanish, timing guides and chain will be addressed. At 130k on the clock I want to knock out most everything I possibly can. I got the car little over a year ago so just slowly getting there. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I doubt they would sell a "kit" without all the parts. I think they have a warranty and obviously that would be void. I guess there is no harm in asking, but tossing the injectors you get with the kit is not that big of a deal. Kits are about 1/2 the price when they first came out at least 10 years ago. If you like the tune keep it, if you are running meth, you need another tune anyway (IMHO).

I have been running mine for over 10 years. But I have modified it with bigger injectors along with a couple of tunes along the way. I also have the Aquamist trunk mounted meth setup, which is fine for anything short of a racetrack for heat soak.

Depending on mileage, I would consider replacing the rod bearings with coated ones (do a search). Some people upgrade the fuel pump; I run a stock pump but the Kenne Bell boost-a-pump setup. When Frank Smith tuned my car, he said he could tune around the Kenne Bell setup, so I just left it alone. Point being, you may not need it, depending on who is doing your tune.

Otherwise, the setup has been very reliable. With a 92mm pulley, it pulls good at low rpm and by the time you hit around 3000 rpm, it is pulling hard. Favorite is actually 3rd gear, you get to feel the acceleration for a bit before you run out of room.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry,
Always with good info!. I was just lurking and saw your post. Glad to see you are still around. Be safe my friend

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts