BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunately heard this noise first time couple weeks ago, i was driving with window down and on low revs 1,5-1,7krpm, was something like regular tapping bouncing from fence, sounds like something was lose. check oil level was 1mm under max mark. after week or two we (me and m5) give wee show after that noise get stronger. no noise on cold engine whatsoever. then when she warm up at 2krpm gets like that:

sound come from left head between 2-3 cylinder, its quite strong, irregular.engine has new all new chains, wheels, rails etc 5k miles ago. vanos units seems ok. Car don't lose any power

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I suspect your recent "wee show" you gave, involved lots of redlining ?

I would err on the side of caution, and go with rod bearing failure, unless proven otherwise.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Sounds like a rod bearing/knock to me, but I have never heard a S62 bearing knock, heard plenty of big American V8 rods knock.

I would not drive the car and get someone to pull the oil pan and inspect/change bearings before you have to change a motor.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
you have two different problemmatic noises. the main one i hear is a whine, something belt driven/spinning. the second is the slightly muffled tapping sound. the tapping sounds more top end related to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks for a quick reply guys, so

cats? mine tend to rattle
that'stotally different sound, that mine its like pure metal hitting metal

When the noice start? Afer repair or lately?
she did around 5k miles on road and 500 on track

I suspect your recent "wee show" you gave, involved lots of redlining ?

I would err on the side of caution, and go with rod bearing failure, unless proven otherwise.

Good Luck
she have much more hard times before, never any problems, I always do some checks before drive car hard

Do you drive the car hard?
in road use not really hard, i would say like normal M5...

Sounds like a rod bearing/knock to me, but I have never heard a S62 bearing knock, heard plenty of big American V8 rods knock.

I would not drive the car and get someone to pull the oil pan and inspect/change bearings before you have to change a motor.

you have two different problemmatic noises. the main one i hear is a whine, something belt driven/spinning. the second is the slightly muffled tapping sound. the tapping sounds more top end related to me.
noise its coming more from top part of engine, its hard to localize but I suspect three things, rod bearings, piston mounting or crankshaft bearing...

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Is there any play in the Water Pump shaft ?

Powodzenia !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Is there any play in the Water Pump shaft ?

Powodzenia !
new pump fitted with last job, noise coming more from middle of engine between 2-3rd cylinder I suppose...

just connected M5 to dis, no faults i started playing witch engine diagnostics, did a vanos test, head 1-4 no faults, head 5-8 test terminated with dis note to check engine timing and vanos pressures ... witch head its 5-8?? lest one when u face engine ??... noise was changing during tests (dis revs engine around 1,5krpm)

·
Registered
911 Posts
just connected M5 to dis, no faults i started playing witch engine diagnostics, did a vanos test, head 1-4 no faults, head 5-8 test terminated with dis note to check engine timing and vanos pressures ... witch head its 5-8?? lest one when u face engine ??...
1-4 = Bank 1
5-8 = Bank 2
If you stand in front of your car then left side is Bank 1 and right side is Bank 2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
after reading tons off post's decided to drop oil sump in Sunday and check rod bearings on my own, thanks to http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/144569-rod-bearing-diy-pics-inside.html i know where im going... hopefully :tonquesmilie:

i have seen few YT vids with bad rod bearing, and my noise its similar but not regular, goes louder and quieter, sometimes stops, nothing on the idle... if that rod bearing maybe not too late yet, any one has a crankshaft skimmed or that pointless??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also check to see if the rocker arms are getting enough oil. That's what it sounds like to me. If it was bearing failure oil pressure would drop. Just make sure your rocker arms are up to specs.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Also check to see if the rocker arms are getting enough oil. That's what it sounds like to me. If it was bearing failure oil pressure would drop. Just make sure your rocker arms are up to specs.

Mate,ain't no rocker arms in there....:cheers:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts