BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Newbie here with a 99 Avus M5. Have a bit of an issue with the audio system, basically its crackling like as if it was out of radio reception but i can hear music if i turn it up really loud. I thought it was an aerial issue at first but its the same with CD's too so im a bit stumped.

I have done a bit of searching and it looks like i have the BW24 dry solder issue but im just checking first to see if anyone else has had similar problems and if you reckon it is indeed the boot module thats the problem - I thought all sound would be lost if it was the problem.

May also be worth noting the car sat for a while but the battery is fully charged now. I have the headlamps out of it at the moment so cant do the reset procedure another member mentioned.

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
But seriously...

Do you get ANY sound from the speakers? Nvigation commands, PDC? (I guess not on your model)

When two sources exhibit no sound I think "main amp". But you definitely want to be sure before buying. By "boot module' you mean the electronic stuff in the boot (trunk to us yanks)... not the module of software that boots the whats its... :)

Do you have a friend that you can swap with to test if it is the amp? (The amp is 2-3 plugs to remove, not hard)

A

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, yeah i can still hear the sound its just crackling like mad. You can still tell which song is on but you have to turn it up really loud and it sounds terrible. From what i have read it appears that if the trunk module is gone that their is no sound at all?? The radio functions as normal - i can search for stations and they are all at the right frequencies and the changer is working too.

I dont have anyone too near to swap bits out with but i could probably organise it if i had to.

PDC does make noise alright, I dont have nav or tv in mine just standard audio with DSP and rear PDC.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
If it is happening with both the CD and radio stations, then for your model (an older round pin style), the issue will be the amplifier. Swap in a new one...

D-

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Douglas, i will try pick up one and see what happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, just joined and my Alpina is doin' the same. Sounds awful unless you turn it up really loud. It only affects Radio, TV, and CD changer, Sat Nav voice and telephone are fine. Will I need a new amplifier, or will it be one of the mysterious silver boxes back there? Mines not got DSP if that makes any difference.

My monitor is also on the blink (quite literally). It flashes for a couple of seconds then goes dull (ie no backlight) then occasionally resets and comes back on. All the other functions continue working though (ie Radio, Telephone, etc) any ideas chaps?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Ben,
FWIW, I left my 540 with DSP in storage last winter in my Dad's unheated garage (he had the space). It gets to minus 35C (or worse) around here, and I did not have the car hooked up to a trickle charger. His automatic garage door opener failed in the cold, and I had to replace it for him (he's 40 years my senior, and I didn't want him on any ladders...) This means I had to start my car to get it out of the way. The battery was too dead to turn over the cold car, so I boosted it. Sadly, the radio was turned on and in the spring, the radio did EXACTLY as you describe: turning up the volume resulted in intermittant noise through the speakers - you could tell what the programming was, but very distorted, static infested, and barely audible with respect to volume. Turned out to be the amp, which was replaced by the gentleman who bought the car.

Is it possible you tried to boost or charge your car with the radio turned on? Could be the same item got toasted...
Let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My FM audio seems to "drop out" on occasion. Sounds like maybe going from stereo to mono, but really sounds more like different parts of the music simply disappear then come back. Is this a feature or a defect? I installed the Ipod integration kit (nice upgrade!), but this has nothing to do with that since this was happening before that install. Clues?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts