BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been searching for a while on the Internet and this forum and have come up empty handed on how to reduce the amount of drone I have with the Dinan exhaust. At first I thought I was missing resonators but the factory ones are installed. Is it possible they were gutted?

I bought the M5 with the Dinan exhaust already installed by the previous owner.

I absolutely love the aggressive sound above 2500 rpm. however I'm surprised how much drone there is from 1000-2500rpm. The higher rpms it's pretty quiet unless I up shift and the rpms drop.

If I have been driving for a little while (I.e highway driving) once I get off the highway any street driving the drone is almost doubled in noise level. To a point where any conversation in the vehicle with passengers is difficult.

I would say it's tolerable when it's cold or warm, and higher Rpm's but I believe hwy driving makes it that much hotter/ louder and I'm not really happy how loud it is. Hard to believe Dinan would be this loud.

I know how quiet the stock exhaust is ( a guy at work still is stock) but I really don't want to revert or start experimenting with new $$$$ exhausts.

Any ideas like adding hushpower resonators instead of the stock resonators? Or in addition?

Thanks,
~ Brian

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay in responding.

The drone is usually only in low rpms accelerating.

Im not sure I am able to determine what x pipe I have. But I could snap a few pics and see if any parts are identifiable. I was under the assumption is was only a Dinan cat back, but for the amount of drone, something has been modified is suspected.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding.

The drone is usually only in low rpms accelerating.

Im not sure I am able to determine what x pipe I have. But I could snap a few pics and see if any parts are identifiable. I was under the assumption is was only a Dinan cat back, but for the amount of drone, something has been modified is suspected.
hey did you ever figure any of this out? i bought my m5 a couple of months ago from a dealer so they couldnt tell me every last thing about it. tips say dinan so i assume a dinan exhaust and i do feel like i have some drone at lower rpms, say under 2500. i cant be sure because this is my first m5 but ive heard most people say they have no drone at all so it must be there for me.

any update would help! about to get jack stands to take a good look underneath, but i think the entire exhaust is still intact, so wondering if its just the dinan system causing the drone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did have a shop that specializes in BMW's check it all out after I looked underneath and didn't see anything besides the Dinan mufflers/tips.

It is stock besides that, factory resonators and exhaust manifolds.

The drone I was referring to they called "tone". This is subjective.

I personally feel it's too loud after the car is warmed up anytime rpms are below 2500.

Does anyone know if an x pipe would help? Or make it worse? I was seriously tempted to swap back to stock but I fear it may be too quiet. It's not obnoxiously loud, and outside the car it sounds good.

I know it drones, I think it's too loud at low rpms so I know passengers probably think so.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
as far as i know, x pipe equals more noise? yeah im not changing anything unless it could be something simple. the good noise when i really gun it far exceeds the negatives at lower rpms.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the exact same setup and have noticed the same things. Anytime starting off the drone is more noticeable up until 2500 rpm like you guys said. Dinan mufflers and stock resonators. It's a deeper sound and seems louder than when WOT.
An x-pipe will probably make it louder under acceleration. If you do look for an x-pipe, I'd look for one with built in resonators. I've been looking at rogue engineering xpipe for my car since they have resonators built in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts