BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
If your E39 M5 oval auto dimming mirror has stopped working or looks like a lava lamp I have good news, we can repair it for a fraction of the cost of a new mirror from the dealer and if it ever fails again we'll fix it for you for free for as long as you own your car.

Total cost including return shipping is $99. Please send me a PM or email [email protected] and mention the M5board.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does your fix use the same auto-dimming technology as the OEM mirror or does it use a newer (better) tech?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does your fix use the same auto-dimming technology as the OEM mirror or does it use a newer (better) tech?
The "technology" is the same but the materials used are not subject to the problems the older mirrors are experiencing. An auto dimming mirror is actually two pieces of glass laminated together with a conductive gel injected between the glass. When very low voltage is applied to the top and bottom edges of the glass the gel darkens and creates the dimming effect. The older gel substance is obviously unstable and breaks down chemically, converts to a liquid and becomes toxic. Once the mirror fails it's just a matter of time before the liquid will begin leaking and damage whatever in lands on. If your mirror has failed it's important to get it out of your car immediately to avoid additional damage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks!

I just sent you a PM with contact information for instructions.

BTW guys, I just got an email response from Sybesma's Electronics that they are currently out of BMW mirror cells.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

I just sent you a PM with contact information for instructions.

BTW guys, I just got an email response from Sybesma's Electronics that they are currently out of BMW mirror cells.
Sent you an email with shipping instructions. Thanks!

and yeah Sybesmas has been out of BMW mirrors for a while, works for me. :)

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
What is the average turn around time? I use my M5 as a daily driver...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think I will want to have this done during the time I am travelling to Laguna Seca for 4 days in July.. I will be in touch soon!

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
About this Discussion
159 Replies
103 Participants
Vtechno
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing