BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't one of our guys, some lack of passing etiquette. The guy chasing the M5 in "another German" sports car was doing a nice job, and never forced the issue. Oh, and plenty of M5 screen time!!:hihihi:

Otherwise, a fun video, especially in "full screen".....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_w9yH3InyU

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Wow, that turn looks like a 10 lane highway, unreal!

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unrelated, but man would I love to get seat time on Sebring.
Lots of groups run Sebring. Not sure which ones supply cars. The full course is a fun track!! It would be worth the trip:applause:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know who that is, but holy missed apexes. Also...those dudes passing the M5 into bishops....yikes
Most people run through Bishop (the sweeping left) as a straightaway, just cutting down to the apex without lifting, unless you have lots of power. I didn't see anything that was really dangerous.........Cars went by on the outside under control. (Yes, I am ignoring any point by requirements that may exist....:tonquesmilie:)

And yes, holy missed apexes!!! M5 wasn't all that bad, just sloppy (and I suspect spending too much time looking in the mirror). The camera car was doing a nice job. I think he could have set up the M5 for the pass into the hairpin if he had backed off a bit after 1, and got a good running start to power through 4 and 5 so he was on the tail of the M5 going into the hairpin. Easy inside move. The 911 can brake later...Or if BIG stones, back off before 9, get a run and dive down into 13 where the M5 typically ran wide, and get the inside wheels up on the curb (slightly off camber if memory serves) and take away the apex....:biggrinbounce:

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
only if that rear view mirror with the helmet upclose and personal was missing ouich

·
13,589 Posts
Most people run through Bishop (the sweeping left) as a straightaway, just cutting down to the apex without lifting, unless you have lots of power. I didn't see anything that was really dangerous.........Cars went by on the outside under control. (Yes, I am ignoring any point by requirements that may exist....:tonquesmilie:)

And yes, holy missed apexes!!! M5 wasn't all that bad, just sloppy (and I suspect spending too much time looking in the mirror). The camera car was doing a nice job. I think he could have set up the M5 for the pass into the hairpin if he had backed off a bit after 1, and got a good running start to power through 4 and 5 so he was on the tail of the M5 going into the hairpin. Easy inside move. The 911 can brake later...Or if BIG stones, back off before 9, get a run and dive down into 13 where the M5 typically ran wide, and get the inside wheels up on the curb (slightly off camber if memory serves) and take away the apex....:biggrinbounce:

Regards,
Jerry
I've never been a fan of allowing passing at bishops. Especially when it's a group with novices in it.

The M5 is what I was referring to, just all over the place. Also I highly suspect that the instructor in the M5 was holding the driver back on the straights (for good reason). He could easily have gotten by at turn 7 (hairpin) or into T10. The instructor onboard would have held him back until the old 911SC was clear.

The problem with going far up onto those curbs at 13 is that it REALLY upsets light cars (and heavy ones to a point) and it might collect both in a crash.

Maybe I'm just too much of a stickler when there are novices involved.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never been a fan of allowing passing at bishops. Especially when it's a group with novices in it.

The M5 is what I was referring to, just all over the place. Also I highly suspect that the instructor in the M5 was holding the driver back on the straights (for good reason). He could easily have gotten by at turn 7 (hairpin) or into T10. The instructor onboard would have held him back until the old 911SC was clear.

The problem with going far up onto those curbs at 13 is that it REALLY upsets light cars (and heavy ones to a point) and it might collect both in a crash.

Maybe I'm just too much of a stickler when there are novices involved.
Mike

I am going to have to look at that again. If there was an instructor in the car, then he should have made sure to tell the M5 to back off on one of the straightaways and let the 911 go past. Given the general level of driving, it did not look like a bunch of novices ( I do get your concerns about Bishop).

I can tell you that 13 does not upset every light car (2400#). But you need to get way up on the curb. And I do it only to squeeze off a pass, I don't think it is the fastest way through.

Happy motoring!

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts