BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an advice on 19" wheels. My 2002 M5 has the original 18" OEM wheels. After looking around and doing some research I came up with these two choices:

BBS RGR
19x9 front
19x10 rear

BBS CH
19x8.5 front
19x10 rear

I see people install 19" all the time, but TireRack sales rep warn me that sometimes some modifications are required. How can I know for sure? Does anyone have similar setup?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I am looking for an advice on 19" wheels. My 2002 M5 has the original 18" OEM wheels. After looking around and doing some research I came up with these two choices:

BBS RGR
19x9 front
19x10 rear

BBS CH
19x8.5 front
19x10 rear

I see people install 19" all the time, but TireRack sales rep warn me that sometimes some modifications are required. How can I know for sure? Does anyone have similar setup?
As long as you go with the right offsets, which are ET20 in the front and ET22 in the rear (stock offsets), and choose reasonable tire sizes, you should be fine.

I think the TR rep was probably referring the rubbing issues and fender rolling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as you go with the right offsets, which are ET20 in the front and ET22 in the rear (stock offsets), and choose reasonable tire sizes, you should be fine.
I am not sure what ET in ET20 means.
BBS CH are 20mm front and rear.
RGR are 20 front and 25 rear. RGR front is also 0.5" wider (9.0" vs 8.5").
Is it going to be ok with 245/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear?

I think the TR rep was probably referring the rubbing issues and fender rolling.
TR guy did say something about fender rolling, but did not mention anything about rubbing issues. Are those the same? Can you give me more information or point somewhere where I can read about it?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am not sure what ET in ET20 means.
BBS CH are 20mm front and rear.
RGR are 20 front and 25 rear. RGR front is also 0.5" wider (9.0" vs 8.5").
Is it going to be ok with 245/35-19 front and 275/30-19 rear?

TR guy did say something about fender rolling, but did not mention anything about rubbing issues. Are those the same? Can you give me more information or point somewhere where I can read about it?

I run a 19x8.5 in the front with 245/35/19 with a +5 offset and it does rub a bit when im backing down my driveway (decline). My rears did rub but i also had a 19x10.5 + 25, it required a 10mm spacer to not rub on the inner fender. At stock heights none of the above will rub assuming you run the correct tire sizes. 245/35/19 is good for the front and 275/30/19 is good for the rear. IMO i wish i could run a square setup all around though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I like 19" BBS RS-GT Diamond Black the most. Does anyone have any high quality pics of black E39 with these wheels?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Does anyone know what is the correct offset (Without rubbing issues) and if spacers (what size) will
be necessary assuming that I must use at least a 19" wheel and have 380mm Brembo's in front and
345mm in the rears ? Do the offsets of et20 & et22 remain the same given those rotor sizes ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to TireRack rep again and now I completelly confused. He told me that BBS LM 19x10 will require 10mm spacer to clear suspension and as a result fender modifications will also be required. Is this true? Am I stuck with 18"?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I just talked to TireRack rep again and now I completelly confused. He told me that BBS LM 19x10 will require 10mm spacer to clear suspension and as a result fender modifications will also be required. Is this true? Am I stuck with 18"?
The BBS LM 19x10 ET25 should fit the rear perfectly without modification or spacers. Most will run a spacer just to have the wheels more flush with the fender. I ran the Linea Corse Lemans (BBS LM Reps) 19x10 ET25 with 285/30/19 Toyo T1R with no rubbing issues. Even with a 10mm spacer, I still had no rubbing issue. Plus, my car is lowered.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not really sure why they would give you this information...

19x10 et25 is a very common setup in the rear for our cars and there are many members running that size LM and other brands/models with no issues. Don't quote me on it but I believe even other e39 5'ers can run this setup with no inner clearance issues (irrelevant in your case either way), and our cars have different fender liners to provide additional clearance.

Like M55555 said, you could run a 10mm spacer which some guys do for a more flush look, but if you do tire brands and sizes may come into play in terms of your clearance to the fender. For example he's running a 285/30 toyo t1r which tend to run a little narrow or more true to size than say a ps2.

Also if you do run a spacer you may have to roll the lower portion of your fender towards the front of the car, that is really the only place our rear fenders can be rolled.

I know it can be nerveracking purchasing wheels that you are unsure of fitment wise as I have been reasearching the correct rear offset for a custom 19x10.5 and a 295 tire for months now, but you can't go wrong with a tried/true size and offset like the LM's.

Good luck! And make sure you post pics if and when you get them on

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have 19" BBS CH rims on my car with 245/19 front and 275/19 rear

My car is lowered with Bilstein PSS9 coilovers approx 1"

No spacers are used

No rubbing ever

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Have the same setup as Doctor J (what a beautiful and shiny car you have), but LM's instead of CH. No spacers, no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have the same setup as Doctor J (what a beautiful and shiny car you have), but LM's instead of CH. No spacers, no rubbing issues.
+1 But mine is slammed with 15mm spacers in the front

·
Registered
254 Posts
What if the car is loaded? 4 people + some junk in the trunk?
Strange but I never have had a full car since I lowered it. On stock suspension and the 15mm spacers up front(just for looks) it never rubbed. I just installed coilovers and this thing is really low. Still nothing at all. But it has only seen full tank of gas and 2 people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you guys think about LM-R?

Front: 19x8.5 13mm
Rear: 19x9.5 25mm

How will silver LM-R look on black E39 M5?

·
Registered
1 Posts

BBS RGR
19x9 front
19x10 rear

BBS CH
19x8.5 front
19x10 rear

I have the first set up and it’s perfect. From the 20 inch works rims looks good too but I’m happy with the 19 inch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts