BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one running a set of air suspension? And insight on this in comparison to the Coilover / Drop spring crowd?

I am in the market for suspension, lots of potholes here in Hawaii. I am not too worried about harsh ride.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi,

There won't be much appreciation for Air Ride on an M5 here!

However, there are plenty of E39's on air ride and there's some M5's that have been done!

Here's a thread I posted summer 2015 and 3 of the UK's very well known E39's on air with one being an M5.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2238551-Modified-E39s-in-the-UK-seen-at-this-seasons-various-car-shows&highlight=UK+shows

I've not met or spoken with the owner of the Imola 540i, but may do so at future events, I missed him at one we were both at one time!

The owner of the M5 wanted his done, so he did it. I seem to recall it's the Airlift Version 3 which had just come out at the time and his car was one of the first to have it fitted. I've not spoken to him for a good while but last time we did he was loving it on the car.

https://www.airliftperformance.com/vehicle/bmw-e39-m5/

I've not been for a drive in the car as yet, however everyone I've spoken to about it always mentions the ride quality is perfectly acceptable and isn't harsh.

Lastly, if you only intend on varying ride height a modest amount and don't intend on showing the setup off, then if you car looks OEM/Standard, it'll allow you that flexibility when going over more bumpier roads or need to get the car on ramps or on your driveway etc etc. If you do intend on showing the car off, then Air Ride ideally suits more classily modified E39's as per the thread above.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Sell the car! You want to replace a highly engineered suspension with a none engineered air bag system? There is a reason that dude is leaving fast 'n' load, he was never qualified. You should not own this car. Sorry air is not a suspension system it is a ride height control. Just because the car got cheap does not mean we need to put up with this crud.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I was really close to buying an air ride system for my car. In my research they seem to be very well engineered and have dynamic modes for different drving styles and firmness, basically like a near infinitely adjustable rate spring. The height adjustment is just a bonus

Ultimately I decided against the full airride system and went with air cups. I felt that I would be happier with an essentially static system so I wouldn't worry about my alignment all the time.

If you think you will like the benefits of air, go for it. The technology is pretty cool.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Ya 'cause race cars all use air suspension! Do I have that wrong? Ya I think it is no race cars have air suspension because it is useless, something like that not sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sell the car! You want to replace a highly engineered suspension with a none engineered air bag system? There is a reason that dude is leaving fast 'n' load, he was never qualified. You should not own this car. Sorry air is not a suspension system it is a ride height control. Just because the car got cheap does not mean we need to put up with this crud.
That might be true of old air suspension setups but the new management systems you can get are very impressive.

A quality air setup will be in the neighborhood of 5k so it's not a cheap thing to do.

The fact that you say air suspension isn't engineered at all should end all of your credibility right there as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Ya 'cause race cars all use air suspension! Do I have that wrong? Ya I think it is no race cars have air suspension because it is useless, something like that not sure.
I'll assume this is towards me.....even though it may be the first time ever.

Race cars are prepped static for each individual track they are at. Plus they NEVER have to worry about unexpected terrain. All higher end larger crossovers come OEM with air suspension, mostly because they can't confirm the race prepped surface of the earth. The biggest reason air isn't commonly used on sedans and other smaller cars is because of warranty, the bags simply don't last long enough in the smaller scale to be cost effective (Mecedes S class is an example).

So, if you are using the definition of 'good' as anything used in racecars, I'd like to see pics of your roll cage, 5 point harness and the heat boots you slide over your driving shoes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm just glad no one posted the Airlift track comparison video. Thank you for that.

For a street car, it's completely fine. I would worry about tire wear in the rear, but as long as you have a programmed ride height for actual driving, and the car is aligned at that height it will be fine. Air management systems have come a long way since the days of mini-trucks and the ability to control ground clearance for different terrain is great, I know my bumper would be in better shape.

That said, if you enjoy autocrossing/track days and are working towards learning to drive your car closer to it's limit, air ride is not going to help you do that. I know there are guys out there that say they are just as fast, and I suppose they could be depending on the skill level of the driver, but in an application not limited by driver talent they are not going to provide the performance, repeatability, or feedback of a traditional spring and (quality) damper setup.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yikes, a flat-bill modified Ferrari.

I wouldn't turn it down solely because of air suspension, but that's one of many reasons.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lots of time and money invested on that air lift performance e39 M5. Out of all the wide body conversions i've seen, this is the only one i like!

time for picture whoring...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm a little offended you had the nerve to litter the universe with your response. Who is the "we" you speak of? ... I didn't see "we" when I bought "we" car. Thanks for your input, but it added zero value to the subject at hand. I decided on the the airlift performance height and pressure system, unless "we" would like to send me KW v3 money to my PayPal?

To everyone else thank you for all the valuable input! I will post Before and Afters and whatever other review worthy information I can for the next member who utilizes the "search" feature.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm a little offended you had the nerve to litter the universe with your response. Who is the "we" you speak of? ... I didn't see "we" when I bought "we" car. Thanks for your input, but it added zero value to the subject at hand. I decided on the the airlift performance height and pressure system, unless "we" would like to send me KW v3 money to my PayPal?

To everyone else thank you for all the valuable input! I will post Before and Afters and whatever other review worthy information I can for the next member who utilizes the "search" feature.

Typical kind of response from Sailor24. He knows all . . . .

Just FYI, this kit looks pretty damn well "engineered" to me:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/parts-other-sale-wanted/555873-complete-air-suspension-e60-e60m5-e63.html

·
Registered
194 Posts
Any update on this?

I am considering new suspension ( even though I have a new bmw shocks from the dealer ).

Please share hands on experience not emotionally based opinion aka Sailor.

What would you go with for the best driving characteristics? I absolutely love the OEM set up, it’s just the height I don’t like.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Any update on this?

I am considering new suspension ( even though I have a new bmw shocks from the dealer ).

Please share hands on experience not emotionally based opinion aka Sailor.

What would you go with for the best driving characteristics? I absolutely love the OEM set up, it’s just the height I don’t like.
The thread is close to 3 years old, doubt you will get any response from OP.
If ride height is what you after, coilovers is the solution for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts