Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Good. I own 3 of the 25.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
At the same time, BaT has essentially put E39 M5 acceptances on hiatus for a while after they went 9 out of 10 auctions with reserve not met recently. There were some high quality cars including a board member with a superbly cared for example, so it's not like they were all run-of-the-mill non cared for examples. :(

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At the same time, BaT has essentially put E39 M5 acceptances on hiatus for a while after they went 9 out of 10 auctions with reserve not met recently. There were some high quality cars including a board member with a superbly cared for example, so it's not like they were all run-of-the-mill non cared for examples. :(
Yes. Honestly, I think it is a great time to buy. I'm definitely not holding onto mine as an investment but because I love it. That said, I do believe that in 10 years good examples of the M39 M5 will be highly valued.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
I agree plus there's no better time than winter to find excellent deals too. Anyone wanting an M5 should be shopping now as the market has softened.

At Oktoberfest there was a Hagerty panel discussion on BMWs to own, and E34 and E39 M5s were grouped together (for some strange reason since there is a lot of difference in these cars/markets), but there was E39 M5 love everywhere I went there. I have to admit it's been weird watching the E39 M5 slowly become a classic icon, but that's all part of getting old. ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Interesting. I just submitted mine Monday and haven't heard back yet about their acceptance. I did notice how many of them didn't meet the reserve but no way to know whether they were $500 or $5k short.

I'll be posting it on the FS section of this board so people can see all the maintenance history. Only downside is the classified sections here don't get as much traffic as Autotrader, Cargurus, etc.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
Interesting. I just submitted mine Monday and haven't heard back yet about their acceptance. I did notice how many of them didn't meet the reserve but no way to know whether they were $500 or $5k short.

I'll be posting it on the FS section of this board so people can see all the maintenance history. Only downside is the classified sections here don't get as much traffic as Autotrader, Cargurus, etc.
I know one in particular was about $4k short of what was desired and actually worthwhile.

You have control over the reserve once the listing goes live, so I'm guessing anyone within $1k or so of their reserve would lower it to sell the car in the final moments (there is no notation if the reserve is met or not before auction end, but some sellers announce it).

Hopefully they'll take your car, but they may have a backlog of M5s waiting...

·
Registered
550 Posts
I know one in particular was about $4k short of what was desired and actually worthwhile.

You have control over the reserve once the listing goes live, so I'm guessing anyone within $1k or so of their reserve would lower it to sell the car in the final moments (there is no notation if the reserve is met or not before auction end, but some sellers announce it).

Hopefully they'll take your car, but they may have a backlog of M5s waiting...
Looks like you were right about them wanting to take a hiatus. They wouldn't accept a reserve higher than $20k which I felt was too low, so no BaT auction for me.

I have a couple other people interested so hopefully it'll work out through them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts