BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to you all. A few wekas a go I was having problems with the key fob not opening the doors. I opened the key and found that the battery terminal had snapped! I resolded this and the key worked perfectly
Today after I had already used the fob to open the car. After lunch the key stopped working again. I opened the key up and checked the battery and terminals all ok (3.34v). Checked the tiny switches and all them are operating. So I am at a loss to what could be wrong other than the receiver inside the car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
301 Posts
I cannot recall the actual name but check the gas cap actuator by locking the doors and seeing if you can open the flap to the gas cap.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help. I've got the diamond shaped key. I've done the re sync and it seems to have worked. Thank you very much.
Does anyone know why the key stops opening the doors?

·
Registered
419 Posts
My key started acting up and wouldn't remote unlock doors regularly so I ordered the replacement battery and buttons off eBay. When I finally opened it up (such a pain) I found that the battery was not seated properly and wasn't making direct contact with the terminals so I simply padded it up and glued back together the key and it's been working perfectly. Now I have a spare battery and buttons sitting around....

·
Registered
301 Posts
This reminds me, check the wiring from the trunk lid to the car that's covered with the plastic sheathing. Those wires can break and ground out causing all kinds of strange issues. I had 2 that rubbed through to the wires myself.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Check the 7.5 amp fuse for the fuel filler flap actuator. I think it's a brown fuse (if original). The fuse is located in the trunk on the passenger side of the car.

John

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks john any advise is most appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank you for your help. I've got the diamond shaped key. I've done the re sync and it seems to have worked. Thank you very much.
Does anyone know why the key stops opening the doors?

Does your key work now after the resynch? Maybe the battery is dieing? Has anyone had a dieing battery in the fob cause this issue? Sounds likely...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes the key fob is working fine. Before it went on me it was operating from 30 ft away

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am going to try to re sync the keys today. I am tired of not having keyless functionality for few months especially in heavy rain storm or windy days in gym shorts.

Both of master keys doesn't response to my M5, but works as unlocking-locking manually, and to able to drive it. The gas door locks and unlocks no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts