BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I started a thread about how the brakes on my 2002 M5 have been kicking my butt. The brakes are still not right and I have tried many different bleeding methods (with software, power bleeder, gravity, reverse 'oil can' pumping) with no success. I can stop the car, but the pedal can go all the way to the floor. While taking a break from the brakes... I decided to replace the rear main seal on the engine. While I had the clutch/flywheel out, it was apparent that the UUC flywheel friction surface and disk needed replacing. After getting it all back together, the clutch pedal would barely release the clutch which made shifting gears hard. I tried to flush/bleed the clutch system and ended draining the system. I searched the forum and the internet on how to refill/bleed this and tried at least four different suggested methods with no success. The clutch pedal goes straight to the floor with no resistance and stays there.

I have worked on cars for over fifty years and never had any of this type of crappy results. I am at a loss on this.
Please, does anyone have a test procedure to diagnose this (brakes and clutch)

A major thanks to the person with the solutions!!!!!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I didn't see the brake thread, but a few things. You clearly either have air in the system, or you have failing components (this assumes you didn't replace them already)

But if you haven't replaced them yet, I'd first get a vacuum bleeder (not a power bleeder, something that pulls the fluid through) and try that. Have someone stand by the res and make sure more air isn't introduced.

If that doesn't work, I'd just replace the master brake and clutch cylinders. It's quite possible the seals are compromised.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I read your brake thread but I'm guessing your problems are not related as the clutch was working fine during your brake problem.

Something that works for my all my cars including my 993 :) is back bleeding the clutch. Open the res cap and use your hand to cycle the clutch pedal. It may take 20 or 30 cycles but you should feel the clutch slowly come back to normal. This method forces the air in the system back up through the res.

Hope it works for you.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
RealOem shows a braided hose going from clutch master cyl to ? (I assume brake master cyl or directly to the reservoir). Seems like a potential source of breakdown, air entry. Have you looked at that?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts