BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just put a walbro in my 2003 540, and had the whole fuel system stop working on my way home last night. Figured out pretty quickly that it was the relay then spent about an hour searching the net, looking at the TIS, bentley manual etc... to find the relay. Finally found this

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/BMW+E39+Fuel+pump+relay+locations

And lo and behold it's.... wait for it... Behind the freakin' glove box?? Really? BMW decided to put a mission critical relay behind the glove box. Sometimes the non-M's get no love...

This should at least help everyone find their fuel pump relay a little easier and be able to get it replaced that much faster...

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Those relays are in the trunk, near the battery and are very easily accessible.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those relays are in the trunk, near the battery and are very easily accessible.
See now that was my problem... The 99 540 you have is in the trunk, M5 is in the trunk, 2001 and newer 540 behind the glove box, just as the link I posted says. And thats where I found it and was able to jump it to test the FP...

Was posted to help that small subset of owners that had the same trouble I did!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Got it. When I looked at the link it looked like my trunk. I just checked it again and that is indeed behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've resurrected this thread as the first hit when I Googled "fuel pump relay location" (surprise!). I want to be certain where the FPR is for when I need to get at it in a hurry.

It's been getting me confused for a while, and despite hours of searching I haven't seen a definitive answer - or not one that doesn't then get contradicted elsewhere :dunno:

To be absolutely clear, I'm talking about my E39 M5, 2003, UK spec.

So where to find the FPR, and what does it look like?

The biggest contradiction I hit is that the Wiring Diagrams (WDS) shows the relay as being located in the boot (trunk) up to 09/2000, and thereafter behind the glovebox. I've seen both suggestions on the forum.
The TIS makes no distinction on model year, and shows the relay in the boot, period.

After grovelling around in my car, there is indeed a relay behind the glovebox; it's a pale green standard height one, and looks far too well secured to start trying to pull it for no good reason.
Behind the panel in the RHS of the boot, as shown in the TIS, there's a large black "relay" that looks like those shown as the FPR in some of the photos on the forum. It's easy to pull, and the part number on it is 61357892976.

Now I think this is the one, so can anyone confirm once and for all - is the WDS just plain wrong (not impossible)? If so, it's the reason why conflicting information is coming out from every corner, especially the BMW dealers (guess where they look!), and is what we're all calling the Fuel Pump Relay the tall black one in the boot, part no 61357892976, regardless of age or country of origin of the car?

Oh God - I've just cross referenced the part number against RealOEM and it shows up as a white 7 pin relay. I give up.:crying:

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Sounds like you have the stupid module in the car. In the other recent thread we had confirmation that the euro car had a normal relay, and now here you go throwing a huge wrench into the works. Crap!
Do me a favor and check the wires going to it.2 Red/white one large dia and one small dia. brown, black/purple last but not least a red/purple. Should not be any more.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Okay, checked it.

Looking at the back of the relay connector, 9 pins, 3 rows:

Top row: Brown - Red/white (thick) - Empty
Second: Empty - Empty - Red/Purple (thick)
Bottom: Black/Purple (very thin) - Red/white (thick) - Empty

Total 5 wires.
The Black/Purple feels like it's a solid core, the rest stranded.

The "relay" is date stamped 02/03, and I have no reason to believe it's not the original.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Okay, checked it.

Total 5 wires.

The "relay" is date stamped 02/03, and I have no reason to believe it's not the original.
That is identical to my fuel pump relay forward most "relay" in the fuse block (mine). is your car stranded?

If so, see this thread. Good instructions to figure out if it is the relay or the pump.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...y-fuel-pump-10-minutes-piece-copper-wire.html

:flag:

·
Registered
318 Posts
No, not stranded (please......), but thanks for the thought. The thread you referenced was one of the many I've read right through (I think I've now read every thread that mentions the Fuel Pump Relay, hence the confusion), and very useful. My interest at the moment is mainly academic in getting a definitive location for the relay in amongst the fog of confusion, and whether the BMW docs are inaccurate regarding later cars. Right now I don't need to know, but the chances are I soon will - and there may well be somebody with a post 2000, or UK spec or whatever car who needs to know sooner.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Good deal. I was having trouble with that too, as like you said, when you select the proper vehicle on the WDS it says behind glove box. I was quite relieved when I found that it was so easily accessible.

Edit; and like sailors post says, once there seems to be an understanding of a nuance, there is new info that changes that understanding. hmmm

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Dont know, but I figure it is a relay block, and likely for something else, as I don't think there would be two in the circuit (wds says circuit has only one, but then again, . . . ). You did see it back there so we know its there, more than one, or no?

No clue what its for

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Okay, checked it.

Total 5 wires.

That wiring is exactly correct for the FPR. But was this the green relay behind the glove box or the black one in the trunk? I have a 2000/10 M5 and as you say WDS says the relay is behind the glove box.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I also just confirmed that contrary to WDS, my fuel pump relay is the large black relay in the trunk (2000/10 build.)
So for 2000/9 on we have the WDS showing the relay behind the glovebox (previously in the trunk), the TIS showing it in the trunk (no change for model year).
Your (presumably) LHD US spec 2000/10 car, and my RHD UK spec 2003 car BOTH have the relay in the trunk, and it's the large black one marked EKP 61357892976.

Nothing in life and BMW is ever certain, but there is very strong evidence that regardless of what documents or BMW parts people may say for any year and spec, the FPR is large, black and in the trunk behind the RHS side panel. Let's hope that helps the next time someone is confused!

BTW, given the small cost of the relay for peace of mind I've ordered up a replacement based purely on quoting the part number to BMW. We'll see what turns up. If all is okay, I'll open up my current one and post up on the other thread (when I can find it!) showing the internals of the relay - unless there's already a UK spec one on there.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
So for 2000/9 on we have the WDS showing the relay behind the glovebox (previously in the trunk), the TIS showing it in the trunk (no change for model year).
Your (presumably) LHD US spec 2000/10 car, and my RHD UK spec 2003 car BOTH have the relay in the trunk, and it's the large black one marked EKP 61357892976.

Nothing in life and BMW is ever certain, but there is very strong evidence that regardless of what documents or BMW parts people may say for any year and spec, the FPR is large, black and in the trunk behind the RHS side panel. Let's hope that helps the next time someone is confused!

BTW, given the small cost of the relay for peace of mind I've ordered up a replacement based purely on quoting the part number to BMW. We'll see what turns up. If all is okay, I'll open up my current one and post up on the other thread (when I can find it!) showing the internals of the relay - unless there's already a UK spec one on there.
Yes, I have a LHD, US spec 2000/10 car.
I also confirmed the FPR is marked "EKP Module 61-35-7-892-976" as you list above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts