BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I have a BMW E39 that I’m running a squared setup of 18x9.5 ET20 with 265/35-18 which leaves roughly 3mm between the base of the strut and the wheel up front without a spacer.

My suspension is shot and I was planning on installing a set of KW coilovers to mitigate that issue. The problem with that is that the spring sits lower on the strut which results in that the wheel has to clear the spring as well and not just the strut itself.

Do anyone here know if this combination is possible? Would a 10mm spacer be enough to clear the spring? And will it clear the fender or will it rub because I’m spacing things out to much?

I’m not planning on going super low, I just want it to not look like a monster truck while clearing speed bumps etc.

Also, if this would work. Would it be possible to use 10mm spacers in the rear as well for a more even look or would that rub?

I’ve read through a lot of threads in regards to this but can’t seem to find a definitive answer on this specific setup. I've read that this is the forum for this though as there's been lots of different fitment discussions here before, I just can't seem to find a definitive answer on my specific setup.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
For reference I run a 15mm in the front on ET25 18x9.5 wheels to clear PSS9s. 5mm in the rear to flush it out a bit. YMMV

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For reference I run a 15mm in the front on ET25 18x9.5 wheels to clear PSS9s. 5mm in the rear to flush it out a bit. YMMV
That would result in a total of ET10 which I'm thinking about running. Do you have any pictures? Any rubbing at full lock? And what tires are you running?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
First pic is front, showing a bit of the tire (steering wheel isn't straight, it's fully under from a top down view when it is)

No rubbing even at full lock, PS4s 275/35/18 on all corners

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First pic is front, showing a bit of the tire (steering wheel isn't straight, it's fully under from a top down view when it is)

No rubbing even at full lock, PS4s 275/35/18 on all corners

Thanks man, it looks great! Are the fenders pulled at all? Also, do you know if there's a width difference between the M5 and "regular" 5-series E39? Me and a friend are talking about doing similar setups but we won't be able to compare for a couple of weeks

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The rears are rolled from the factory from about 10 - 2 (if you think of the fender as a clock). You can further roll the fenders, might need to depending on final ride height. At my height, I didn't need to roll them...

AFAIK, the track widths are same between the M5 and the lesser of the E39s, but I'm not 100%

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rears are rolled from the factory from about 10 - 2 (if you think of the fender as a clock). You can further roll the fenders, might need to depending on final ride height. At my height, I didn't need to roll them...

AFAIK, the track widths are same between the M5 and the lesser of the E39s, but I'm not 100%
Thanks man! One last thing, do you have the measurement for the widest part of your coilovers that the wheel has to clear? As long as a 10mm spacers clears the KWs this setup should work fine then :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, that's the last thing I have to find out then. And I just referenced the part number from RealOEM for both the fender and fender liner and according to a webshop that sells them they fit all models so I'm guessing they're the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts