BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never thought this day would come but my thoughts have been wandering away from my E39 M5 since a ride in a friends Golf R, which was a pretty impressive drive and a nice place to sit with all the new bits, however it's bit boy racer and pops and farts from the exhaust aint exactly my thing.

April 19 and I will have had the M5 ten years and at the moment bang on 80k on the clock. I've had the usual up's and downs ( indy garage related) and have gently replaced most items on the car as well as having improved a few and I love it where it is today with headers, eisenmann back box, 40% locking diff, 6pots front, 4 rear, rear arb, intrax and B8 etc.

I do on average about 4k a year with 2 of those on the yearly Scandinavian trip and usage of a scooter and a ****box for London stuff, the rest would be for family trips out of town.

I have yet to demo an F10 but Coopers Chobam have a Silverstone which I might look at, seems it's been with them a while as well as coming from a private plate.

At the moment the research is only consuming 90% of my time :grin but I feel I'm going to have to absolutely love it to jump ship.

Anyway, my question is

1. my garage entrance is 2m and 10cm wide (opens up somewhat once in ) and an F10 is wider at the mirrors, does anyone have an idea how much the mirrors would give folded ?
2. I know all the previous E39 owners love their replacement F10's but if you only needed it for what I do, would it be a closer run thing ?

Best
Gervase

·
1,900 Posts
Hi Gervase,

I couldn't bear to part with my E39 so still have it. And the F10. There's no doubt that the F10 is a better car in every way - it's faster, more comfortable, better equipped and probably more planted. But the E39 grabs me in ways that the F10 never can or will...

I know that's not what you asked but it's the closest answer I can give you.

Oh. Mirrors give you *about* 6cm either side when folded.

·
1,900 Posts
Reading your post some more. You've done pretty much everything to the E39 short of supercharging it. If, for instance, you were to replace the head unit with an Android one that looks almost OEM (here's a thread about doing that: https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/586378-xtrons-pb7639bp-android-head-unit-installation.html) then I can't help wondering what more you could actually want from the car, bearing in mind what you use it for...

Honestly? I'd stick with the E39. But Cooper Cobham are pretty good and there's some nice roads to test an M5 around there... Just to make sure ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the input, I missed that one on the head unit, I've the Intravee and Alpine so I'll see how it all compares.

Will to try and find a dry and warmish day to arrange a demo at Coopers and report back.

Best
Gervase

·
Registered
104 Posts
2 different era of cars. I have both. My f10 has the comp pack and a manual.
Both are not perfect.

Having owned an e60 m5 which i sold( still regret it to this day), i think the f10 should have been the e60 as a direct successor. F90(?), well its moving away from the e39.

If you cant get both, an f10 will be a good replacement to an e39. Atleast get a manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts