BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out this video and see if you guys have any insight.

- Plastic Adjusters are brand new and not broken.

- I have checked this:

Only thing left could be the self leveling system unless you guys have any other ideas.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X7VvpWr9p8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do you have a pic with the projector mounted? I installed these in my car and had no issues. And when you turn your car on, are you saying the headlights self level they go down but do not come back up?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I've done the same retrofit into mine.

I see you have new adjusters, were the old adjusters broken on the vertical adjustment plane? i.e. Was it working fine beforehand?

Are you certain you got the ball at the end of the rod from the motorized leveler into the right spot inside the headlight?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a pic with the projector mounted? I installed these in my car and had no issues. And when you turn your car on, are you saying the headlights self level they go down but do not come back up?
I don't. I know it is mounted correctly. I have done two sets of these. The one my friend has are fine.

I've done the same retrofit into mine.

I see you have new adjusters, were the old adjusters broken on the vertical adjustment plane? i.e. Was it working fine beforehand?

Are you certain you got the ball at the end of the rod from the motorized leveler into the right spot inside the headlight?

Previously the car had pre facelift lights. I bought a used pair and did all the work before installing them. The adjusters were fine, but I replaced them anyway. Like I said, I have done several sets of retros and fixed adjusters. I doubt I put them together wrong especially since I took them apart yesterday to verify.

Also, can you freely move the internal assembly if you grab the back side of the igniter and move it up and down?

No. The adjusters are fine. Nothing moves.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you're pretty sure it was put together properly, and you took the whole thing apart to verify (?) so that leaves the levelers it seems.

So your car already had self leveling (?) and you know the sensors work? That would be my thought process anyway. If everything else was good before, leveling motors seem likely

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, sounds like you're pretty sure it was put together properly, and you took the whole thing apart to verify (?) so that leaves the levelers it seems.

So your car already had self leveling (?) and you know the sensors work? That would be my thought process anyway. If everything else was good before, leveling motors seem likely

Car already had leveling. I can move the sensors and I get nothing. No headlight movement.

Can someone check to see if their auto leveling lights make that noise?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Mine does not make that noise at all. Mine is the hummmm, some noises here for a half second, but definitely not the clicking like your, more like it reaches fully down and then stops before rising back up with a quick --> humhum. But don't take my word for it . . .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zBhzPKlXPW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I would say before getting new levelers, if it were me, I would take the levelers out and physically move the internal assy up and down through the range (like the leveler should) and make sure you I didn't feel any physical binding when I was. That would ensure that there was not something stopping them short.

Also, what do the levelers do when they are physically removed, but still plugged in when you turn on the lights?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would say before getting new levelers, if it were me, I would take the levelers out and physically move the internal assy up and down through the range (like the leveler should) and make sure you I didn't feel any physical binding when I was. That would ensure that there was not something stopping them short.

Also, what do the levelers do when they are physically removed, but still plugged in when you turn on the lights?

Yeah. I'm going to pull a leveler and see what it does out of the assembly.

Video of just the motor plugged in

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KfHofbPnAVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Headlight adjustment without the motor

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PZjZo4Zly4M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does anyone know the location of the leveling sensors on the car? Is there one on each wheel? Just front? Just rear?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Chech the link rods that are attached to the front arm and rear 'wishbone'.
The front link rod was completely seized on mine. The headlight leveling became 'live' after I changed this, much better and reacting instantly, eg it would change level when accelerating or braking.
If you have dis you can chech the sensor's operation with this.
It's also quite easy to fit things backwards such that the sensor arm will hardly move when the suspension moves, especially at the rear iirc.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

thanks. Ordered two new sensors just to rule them out. Nether front or rear arms had any issues, sensors were plugged in, so hopefully one or both are simply bad. If these don't work, i will look into the motors in the lights themselves.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry if you already said this, did you pull codes?
Not recently. My friend with a scanner is out of the US. I remember seeing some code about the auto leveling a while back. That has to be it.

Reactions: bibledriver

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hope the sensor fix you up. That said, that one leveler motor sounded off for sure, though . . . We'll see, and I hope for your sake that was just a symptom! Good luck, let us know how it progresses.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hope the sensor fix you up. That said, that one leveler motor sounded off for sure, though . . . We'll see, and I hope for your sake that was just a symptom! Good luck, let us know how it progresses.
It did. One thing I notice now is that the check process goes through three steps.

- Down
- Center
- Final

Before it was only going down and then up. Note the super clean Evo XR Cutoff:eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh:

Thanks everyone!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts