BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas please guys? The passenger mirror goes all the way up but the drivers stops half way. Also, what is the best oil to put in my M5, she's a 2000 model with 47,000 miles, Mobil 1?
Any comments greatly appreciated as always,
Stu-E-Boy:M5launch:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
stu-e-boy said:
Any ideas please guys? Also, what is the best oil to put in my M5, she's a 2000 model with 47,000 miles, Mobil 1?
Any comments greatly appreciated as always,
Stu-E-Boy:M5launch:
BMW TWS 10W60

Not a clue on the mirror, though-

Adam

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had the mirror problem not too long ago. Took the car to the dealer and they said it was a faulty motor. They replaced it under warranty. As for oil, I'm using mobil one synthetic 5w30. I think your oil choice would be a function of your climate and how you drive your car. I never track/race mine, only drive it a few days a week and I live in a temperate climate in the southeast united states so you might want to take that into consideration.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The wing mirrors are notorious. I'd say almost everyone has experienced this sticking mirror problem at some point. It usually goes away on it's on, otherwise a small manual twist of the mirror does the trick. If it really bugs you get your dealer to do a warranty repair/replacement.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
A few comments:

1. The 2000 has a very different oil requirement than the later years (5w30 versus 10W60) Your 2001 is probably OK with bmw 5w30

2. M1 10w30 is 10% "Thinner" then the BMW required 5W30. (Note that the BMW 5W30 'looks' more like a standard 5W40 based on viscosity. Therefore, substituting any 5-30 for the BMW 5-30 is usually a step down in high temp viscosity (ie the viscosity the bearings see 99% of the time))

3. M1 is NOT ACEA A3 rated- (it is A1 rated)

It may be fine, but may not: If you had a bearing failure and BMW declined coverage it would be hard to argue with them. Having said that, I don't think the oil would have been the cause- hypothetical here. You dot the Is and cross the ts.

There was a pretty exhaustive discussion recently (and perhaps 20 others in the past) on oils: Check out-

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54602&highlight=10w60

I live in the hot west, and just changed to 10W60 in my 2003.

A

·
Banned
136 Posts
Mobil 1 0w-40 "European Car Formula" is an acceptable substitute for the BMW 5w30, as it is ACEA A3 rated and even says on the back of the bottle "BMW approved". I am running it with zero problems. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
if your car is post feb 2000
then you can source 4 litre cartons from halfords
Castrol 0w/30w full synthetic confirmed as the ok spec from BMW/ VW/ Audi
3-4 pounds cheaper than bmw prices

willo

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Just a comment on the concept of "BMW APPROVED".

usually this means it meets one of the BMW long life specifications- for example LL01 or LL98.

The oil may or may not meet performance specs for the M5.

The only two castrol products approved FOR THE M5 by BMW are the BMW 5W30 made by castrol for BMW and the Castrol TWS10W60 again made by castrol only for sale by bmw.

I agree the Mobil 1 0w40 is a fine looking oil and the specs are about equal to the specs on the 5w30. there is also a good looking mobil 15w50 maybe for higher temp/stress use? This falls between the BMW5w30 and the BMW TWS10W60 in viscosities...

A

·
Registered
321 Posts
re halfords
the same oil as retailed by bmw
exactly the same ..
just cheaper...
and in 4 litre containers as Castrol have started retailing outside of BMW
good news

willo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, I'LL GET SOME 0W 40 MOBIL ONE TODAY,
HAPPY M5'ing.

STU-E-BOY:M5launch:

welsh_willo said:
re halfords
the same oil as retailed by bmw
exactly the same ..
just cheaper...
and in 4 litre containers as Castrol have started retailing outside of BMW
good news

willo

·
Registered
12,903 Posts
ard said:
I agree the Mobil 1 0w40 is a fine looking oil and the specs are about equal to the specs on the 5w30. there is also a good looking mobil 15w50 maybe for higher temp/stress use? This falls between the BMW5w30 and the BMW TWS10W60 in viscosities...

A
I agree with you, as I have used M1 15w50 in all my turbo cars and wear has always been minimal. I have been very pleased with it. But I thought an earlier discussion said that the 15w50 technically didn't meet all the BMW specs, like the M1 0w40 did. I am now using M1 0w40 to top up my Castrol 5w30.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
236 Posts
I thought BMW only approved 5W 30 or 10W 60 depending on year of manufacture.

Is there any real difference between Castrol TWS and Castrol RS 10W 60?

Pip :confused2 :confused2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts