BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys n' gals,

A buddy of mine made a modular custom camera mount for his WRX, and I thought it would be cool to have one for the M5.. now that I've been using it a while we thought some of my M5board buddies might want to give it a shot.

This mount attaches to the center console, underneath the sliding portion of the armrest.. so with the mount uninstalled everything is hidden away under the armrest. It requires minimal modification to the car and it's an easy DIY project. (we'll get some specific pictures of that process up here asap) Once the fixture is in place installing the mount itself takes maybe 10 seconds and no tools are required. Removal is just as easy.

The rod you see in the photos is 16" long, and we've decided to change that - what we're going to do is two 9" sections that will screw together into one 18" rod. This two piece design will keep the shipping costs down a bit and will give you the ability to store this mount in a space as small as your glovebox - if you so desire.

You'll see I have my GoPro attached, which I did simply utilizing one of the flat sticky pads. The plate offers enough real estate for things like GoPro mounts, clamps etc.. GoPro also sells a tripod adapter which works perfectly with this system since it is designed around a standard tripod mount. We provide a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw for cameras with a tripod mount, and of course all other mounting hardware necessary to secure the mount to your car.

All pieces are made from 6061 aluminum by us. The rod is 1" diameter and the plate is 5" by 5" and .5" thick. Weight of the entire assembly is about 2.5 lbs without a camera mounted.

We're posting this to gauge interest and see if people are interested in buying this. If we have enough interest (at least 10 would be ideal) then we'll make a run and get them out there! Price will be 100 USD, shipped within the continental US, for those members outside the US, we will figure something out based on any price difference in shipping.

Thanks for looking!

:cheers: - Tim and Pat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This mount offers a nice stable alternative to the sometimes clumsy headrest mounts, and since it gets the camera as close to the center of the car as possible, you get a nice view outwards. With your run-of-the-mill pocket video cam they sell these days (flip etc) the lens is situated a bit higher for a slightly better view. Pat is also going to make the rods longer - and if you want it even taller still, or the option for another extension, then we can work with you on that.

YouTube - lancefitzgibens kanal

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Cool! Looks like it takes quite a bit of custom work, but the result is great.

I have a gopro and will either use my headrest mount or use the suction cup on the windshield.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it look like it requires a lot of custom work? I think the install was pretty easy. Took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to remove the center console and then about 30 minutes to mod it. Only special tool used was a drill press.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we built this mount around the hand-held camcorders more than the GoPro camera, but it's proved very useful for the GoPro anyway. The main reason being ease of setup, and better view. Believe it or not, suctioning to the moonroof doesn't get a very good view for looking out the windshield. Great for looking down at the dash/shifter for an instructional video - but not very good otherwise unless you want to film the rearview mirror. =)

It takes 30 seconds to setup the GoPro on this mount.. and it affords me the option of leaving the GoPro suction mount either in place somewhere else, or leave it set-up for another use. I can also use more than one cam at a time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I can see how this could be good for bigger cameras, but if you're using a GoPro just suction cup it to the sun roof.
It depends on the club/track, but some do not allow you to use suction cup mounted cameras; they must be hard-mounted.

This looks like a nice piece, have you tested yet when driving aggressively? I watched your video and the image appears very stable. My only complaint about my headrest mount is vibration while on track (and yes I had anti-vibration setting turned on), particularly under heavy braking.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roundel,

You make an excellent point about tracks and hard mounting that I simply forgot to point out. Lots of tracks are fine with the suction mounts but when you run into one that won't allow them..

I have not used this mount on the track yet with the M5.. I have used it in my Z06 with pretty good results:

That footage is taken with a pretty cheap pocket-cam. I haven't had an opportunity to try the GoPro at the track at all. The mount it also totally different in the Z06 and uses a piece of bar stock across two points, rather than the M5 mount which utilizes a much larger plate.

I don't know if that helps at all, but when the M5 goes out again I'll try and get some more aggressive footage.

- Tim

·
Registered
511 Posts
This looks like a nice piece, have you tested yet when driving aggressively? I watched your video and the image appears very stable. My only complaint about my headrest mount is vibration while on track (and yes I had anti-vibration setting turned on), particularly under heavy braking.
What kind of camera and mount you are using?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump.

Nobody wants a sweet hard-mount camera support system hand made by a board member???

·
Registered
962 Posts
What kind of camera and mount you are using?
It's one of the nicer Sony Handicams (CX700 maybe?). I buddy has a lesser model though still with vibration reduction mounted to his rollbar and film is rock solid under all conditions so I don't believe my issue is with the camera.

Mount I'm using is CruiseCam headrest mount
CruiseCam In-Car Headrest Camera Mount

I've used the CruiseCam mount "around town" a few times including some spirited drives in the twisties and footage is great. My issue is really just on track.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Bump.

Nobody wants a sweet hard-mount camera support system hand made by a board member???
Hey Tim, I was considering this mount as it looks great but this is probably the last season that I'll track my M5 as I'm planning a track car build over the next year and this mount will likely spend the rest of its life on a shelf. Good luck!

Dave

Reactions: Lancefitzgiben

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Well, looks good to me - - I think my euro spec sliding armrest should be the same -

...lets go for it;

1) Markqc

(p.s. no worries on mail - I have a USPS box)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I can't seem to find an "edit" button??

We are going to close this group buy next Friday, the 1st of April. At that point we will produce the mounts that have been ordered, ship them out, and move on to the next stage of this modular mount project.

Thanks for the interest guys.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks buddy!

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wanted to edit my initial post to include "group buy ends 4/1/11" at the end of the thread title.

I had put the thread here, as per Gustav. Do you think I should plug it in the FS section?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I wanted to edit my initial post to include "group buy ends 4/1/11" at the end of the thread title.

I had put the thread here, as per Gustav. Do you think I should plug it in the FS section?
Your call. I might have started it there, myself, but what do I know.

Will edit your title. I also just added your P/S fluid DIY to the DIY Guidepost.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the help man. I'll make a post with a link to this thread over in the FS section.

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts