BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the completely unmolested low miles cars are worth the most and will always be.
What do you think adding a sc to a sub 20k mile car would do to its value? The car already has a ton of dinan upgrades so will a sc'er add or detract from overall value?
Of course, the value of the car is not the main consideration but rather something I hold in mind when making changes and I thought it would be interesting to hear opinions from other owners.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It would reduce the value. Mainly because it rules out most of the market that shops for those low mileage cars. I'd say a no go, but you only live once and high production number cars are pretty bad investments anyway, and the s/c kits are priced right!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
421 Posts
^^This:goldcup:

Modifications in general do not add to the value of any car. I would say our beasts are a bit of an exception, in that Dinan enhanced (serialized) cars seem to go for slightly more money than non-enhanced examples. So, if you upgraded your beast from a S2 to S3 there might be some value added there - although not likely the equivalent of the money spent. On the other hand, if you are adding something like an RK kit or the like, you are reducing the amount of potential buyers should you decide to sell it in the future.

I guess the real question is...do you own it to enjoy it or as some sort of investment? If the latter, probably best to keep it as close to stock as possible - those examples fetch the highest money... if the former - throw that blower on and have some fun :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Agree with above...I suppose you can return to stock when/if you sell, although the fact that it had been SC's may turn off some buyers (who would assume the car was driven harder and with more wear/tear than a stock car).

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts. I bought the car to drive but seeing the values go up(seemingly) and having the experience of sky rocketing Z8 values, it gives me pause. I know these cars will never approach the Z8 but I do see some similarities. When I bought the car the miles were so low that I thought my usual driving of 3k per year max would not matter but there are some nice modded cars with moderate mileage that I could swap out some of my mods to, return this to stock and sc the newer car for a driver.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
well, there were a lot fewer Z8's made - even those were rare when they first came out. I mean, they did ship 10K of the E39 M5 over here. That's quite a few cars.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Z8s were advertised as collector/investment cars when they were brand new, they are a completely different car from the M5. The only - ONLY - similarity is the drivetrain and underlying electronic modules

That is to say though that the E39 M5 will likely be worth a decent amount someday, particularly low mile examples. They are high production number cars but most of these cars have been driven. A future concourse winner level M5 may very well be considered collectible.

To answer your question, I would sell the low mile car you currently have and go to a higher mile car for the S/C if you want it that bad. The price difference from your low mile car to a medium/high mile car will also likely pay for the S/C.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It seems the completely unmolested low miles cars are worth the most and will always be.
What do you think adding a sc to a sub 20k mile car would do to its value? The car already has a ton of dinan upgrades so will a sc'er add or detract from overall value?
Of course, the value of the car is not the main consideration but rather something I hold in mind when making changes and I thought it would be interesting to hear opinions from other owners.
To add another thought, (which I'm sure you already considered). Given the awesome car collection you have there, maybe buy another less mint M5 for fun. One with 100K mi or something and supercharge it, or even one that's already supercharged. Keeping cars mint all the time can take some of the fun out of driving. I say get a toy that you can mod, and not worry about re-selling.

Under 20K mi is investment grade stuff even with the high production numbers, since the mileage makes it rare (you bought it and are obviously well aware of this). Hold on to that one and drive it even less.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow! I'm going the other direction than you guys here...

Cars are for transportation, fun, or both! They are not investments, and as much as I love my E39, it is definitely no Ferrari GTO. You should do what you want and what allows you to enjoy your car more. And I can guarantee that superchargers=enjoyment! :grin yes:

Will it bring down the value? Yes. But ask yourself this, are you planning on getting rid of that gem any time soon anyway?! Have fun man!

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
231 Posts
To add another thought, (which I'm sure you already considered). Given the awesome car collection you have there, maybe buy another less mint M5 for fun. One with 100K mi or something and supercharge it, or even one that's already supercharged. Keeping cars mint all the time can take some of the fun out of driving. I say get a toy that you can mod, and not worry about re-selling.

Under 20K mi is investment grade stuff even with the high production numbers, since the mileage makes it rare (you bought it and are obviously well aware of this). Hold on to that one and drive it even less.
This is exactly what I did and it works! I bought my blue Dinan S2 with 19k miles and it would have been a blast to drive but putting on mileage left me feeling like I was throwing money out the window every time I drove it.

The solution was to buy another S2 with 90k miles. I track the car regularly and drive it almost daily. It now has 118k miles and I could care less about adding more. In fact, I want to add more miles because miles equals smiles in that car. Every single time I get out of that car I look back at it and think, "Man that car is fun!" So what if the paint has swirl marks and stone chips! I can fight for the best parking spot at Wal-Mart and not even care who's going to ding my door.

My blue car sits in the garage under a cover. Occasionally I drive it to Cars & Coffee but to be honest? Owning it is a burden. I never, ever thought I would say that but it is. I have an e28 M5 that I bought with low mileage and now it has 200k fun filled miles on it. For some stupid reason, I just can't bring myself to do that with my blue car.

Good suggestion Getiton! You are exactly right.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
This is exactly what I did and it works! I bought my blue Dinan S2 with 19k miles and it would have been a blast to drive but putting on mileage left me feeling like I was throwing money out the window every time I drove it.

The solution was to buy another S2 with 90k miles. I track the car regularly and drive it almost daily. It now has 118k miles and I could care less about adding more. In fact, I want to add more miles because miles equals smiles in that car. Every single time I get out of that car I look back at it and think, "Man that car is fun!" So what if the paint has swirl marks and stone chips! I can fight for the best parking spot at Wal-Mart and not even care who's going to ding my door.

My blue car sits in the garage under a cover. Occasionally I drive it to Cars & Coffee but to be honest? Owning it is a burden. I never, ever thought I would say that but it is. I have an e28 M5 that I bought with low mileage and now it has 200k fun filled miles on it. For some stupid reason, I just can't bring myself to do that with my blue car.

Good suggestion Getiton! You are exactly right.
Doug, I'll be happy to unburden you! Lol. Beautiful car that I drooled over in person.

--Peter

PS: this is my 7000th post!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

Congrats!

You're and old timer and still younger than me.

:M5launch:

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
231 Posts
Doug, I'll be happy to unburden you! Lol. Beautiful car that I drooled over in person.

--Peter

Thanks for the compliment Peter.

7 thousand posts? You sir, have WAY too much free time. :)

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
7 thousand posts? You sir, have WAY too much free time. :)
That is because he does not spend enough time working on his car!!!hiha

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: rao

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Based on my calculations he is putting on slightly over 1 mile per year.

Pretty soon he is going to claim that was the real purpose of his project, but we won't be fooled hiha

Less posting, more wrenching ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts