BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing Bluetooth on my 2003, the cell phone signal strength drops to zero when inserted into the snap-in adapter. Apparently the car has no "external" cell antenna?

What are you guys using as an external antenna - shark fin, bumper-mounted, etc? I would prefer not to go the shark fin route if possible. I'm not trying to boost the signal, just want to avoid signal loss when snapped-in. Breaking off the connector inside the snap-in is not my favorite idea.

If anyone has a lead for an antenna source and/or part# for a CDMA phone, that would be very helpful!

Thanks - Bill

·
Registered
723 Posts
here is a link to the part catalog which show the standard antenna parts. Not quite as elegant as installing in the bumper, but it works. You will be needing parts # 1, 2, 3

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=84_0080&hg=84&fg=50&hl=8

This antenna is installed at the top of the rear window. The antenna cable should already be installed under the headliner right where you will be installing the antenna. I just installed this last weekend, and it was very easy to do.

·
10,458 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Breaking off the connector inside the snap-in is not my favorite idea.
Thanks - Bill
That's what I did! I know of a fellow board member who just left the rubber plug in his phone's antenna port (on a SE T637) and it worked fine, without breaking anything off.

I did the external antenna, it made no difference in signal strength compared to the phone's internal antenna (in fact it was a little worse in some areas, for some reason) so i got rid of it, since i didn't like the look of it and the sirius antenna. (i already gave it away, or i'd offer it to you)
Mike

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mottati said:
That's what I did! I know of a fellow board member who just left the rubber plug in his phone's antenna port (on a SE T637) and it worked fine, without breaking anything off.

I did the external antenna, it made no difference in signal strength compared to the phone's internal antenna (in fact it was a little worse in some areas, for some reason) so i got rid of it, since i didn't like the look of it and the sirius antenna. (i already gave it away, or i'd offer it to you)
Mike
OK, your post was inspirational! I took my snapin apart, and it turns out that I didn't have to break off the antenna connector at all, just repositioned it out of the way.

Thanks! All set....

:byebye:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts