BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am new to e39 m5. One of thing that i have noticed is this car is really bad with brakes. I just dont feel enough power to stop a 4K pound monster quickly enough. Maybe it's my brake pads, brake fluid looked pretty clean.

Anyways, searching for brembos and stoptechs, i came across this on ecs tuning.

ECS News BMW E39 5-Series Front Big Brake Kit - 000249ECS01KT - ECS 6-Piston Front Big Brake Kit (338x26) - ES#2598719

Any reason why this will not fit an e39 m5. What is different? Do i need different brackets or what? Price looks very good and they are 6 piston calipers too so i think they are brembos underneath the skin. Anyone know the differences in M brake system vs 540?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You can get bmw performance kit but it does require custom adapter. Someone on here did a document. You will want to do a search.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Also, you may want to read up on this kit. While it seems to resist fade better than the OEM brakes, it does not seem to have better initial bite. So you need to decide what you want out of your brakes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i understand now. So since we have one big piston, power is concentrated vs 6 pistons where power is distributed hence less fade.

how do you guys feel about the OEM set up? Is that sufficient for you guys? I am not trying to race or anything but once in a while, i like to push this car and stop quickly. What pads should i try with this car? any rotor/brake pad combination that people really like?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Most real track guys will tell you that you don't need BBK's unless you seriously track the car for long periods of time. If you like to drive fast on the street and want to go to the track every now and then, a good set of performance pads, new rotors, stainless lines, better fluid and most importantly, sticky tires is all you need. The BBK's seem to be more for show than anything else.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, that sounds reassuring. Will do the rotors and brake pads instead.

thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Depends also how your driving style is in my opinion. Do you drive a lot of higher speeds or not, do you brake often and hard......

I followed the comment to go with an upgraded standard system since BBK will only be needed for track use. After the experience I have now this is definitely NOT the way to go, I will change pads to give another brand an option but standard brakes with just upgraded parts is still below the braking standards which a car like an M5 needs to have........

If the other upgraded parts will not bring what they have to do (braking hard)I throw a BBK under it for daily use.........

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
40 Posts
My E39M5 has done numerous track days at Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, and Sonoma using StopTech pads and fluid with ss brake lines and titanium shims. Cross-drilled rotors came with the car. Never faded the brakes once. Consistent braking performance lap after lap. I'm very demanding on the car and I get some joy in giving other drivers perspective on how hard they AREN'T pushing their super duper sports car with traction control into and out of turns.

I only recently discovered how cheap parts can be on Amazon so here are a bunch of links for you.

Front pads: Amazon.com: StopTech 309.06810 Street Performance Front Brake Pad: Automotive

Rear pads: Amazon.com: StopTech 309.06830 Street Performance Rear Brake Pad: Automotive

Fluid: Amazon.com: Stoptech STR 600 Brake Fluid 500ml (Sold Individually): Automotive

Got the titanium shims here: https://hardbrakes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=81. I won't comment on brake performance without the plates as I've never tried.

Make sure your ss brake lines are real. I forget what markings you should look for although I'd know it if I saw it... A search might help. Just get Goodridge brand and you should be straight.

That being said, street performance is great. No squeals, low dust, consistent pedal feel from the start, and it looks like I'll be swapping in new pads at about the 20k mile mark. I didn't want to say they have "long life" or "last a long time" because we're all different types of drivers but I think $150 in pads over 20k miles is an excellent trade-off. This isn't to say that a proper BBK isn't worth it. What I will say is that this will be more than good enough for the vast majority of the board members here and this is coming from a guy with a BBK on another car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RVAE34,

You are right :) . I am in maryland so no crazy everyday driving. Most of my time is spent in daily traffic commute. This is my first V8 so as soon as i see open road, thought does go through my head and into my foot but it's not that often you find an open road in maryland. :)

awdspoolin,

Thank you for detailed list. I am really starting to believe that my car has $25 brake pads from advance auto parts. I will be changing it out soon. What you provided as reference is a great start and cost is pretty low compared to BBK.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Banned
487 Posts
RVAE34 hit the nail on the head. A BBK is a complete waste of money for a street driven car (and even most track cars) unless you simply want it for the bling factor. A nice set of pads and rotors will be more than sufficient for 99% of people on this forum.

Don't waste your money on a BBK unless you want the looks. Spend your money on a nice set of rotors and pads!

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
That being said, I still plan on buying a kit for my touring :) That car is ridiculous and needs ridiculous brakes.
I have front BBK. But for non track driving, a good street setup will work fine.

The biggest difference with a good BBK is resistance to fade. Stopping power remains similar (once you are on the verge of tire lockup, you can't get more clamping power). You may get slightly faster bite so total distance may drop by a couple of feet, but that is probably not worth the $$$$.

If you are running out of brakes on the street, something is wrong. So, good rotors and pads for that purpose, properly bedded in, good high temp DOT 4 brake fluid and open up the cooling ducts to the front brakes.

And just use enough brake, decisively, to slow you down (referred to often as threshold braking, meaning use enough brake to put you at the threshold of locking up the tires-- a term coined before ABS!). Most people spend way too much time on the brakes, they are not braking hard enough, so they brake too long, and that is what generates heat.

As famous Swedish rally driver Stig Blomqvist was so fond of saying "brakes only slow you down!".

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts