BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lust for the M5 as a 540i enhanced for better control, feel, and overall enjoyment, but 95 percent of anticipated usage will be for around town driving. How does this car fair for day-to-day driving? How well executed is the interaction of transmission, clutch, and throttle in the lower gears? I don't relish a car that bucks, snorts, bunny hops, and stalls during in-town driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have any experience with driving a manual transmission car the M5 is simply a pleasure to drive. The clutch action and shifting is very smooth especially if not in sport mode. When the traffic is clear, however, the sport mode is the only way to go. If you drive a lot in stop and go traffic, the clutch might seem a bit heavy as I have noticed in comparison to my '95 911.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I find driving the M5 is even more enjoyable than my old e39 528. It is a great car and performs with great ease and pleasure. I honestly look forward to my short trips as much as I do the long ones. Simply a great car for all occasions including winter (with winter tires on).

·
Registered
158 Posts
IMO it's a more-than-fine everyday car. i commute with it every day and the only annoyance i ever have is in EXTENDED stop-and-go traffic when one is prone to reluctantly acknowledge that automatic transmissions aren't entirely useless and any manual transmission starts to be annoying.

note that the clutch is not particularly light (for comparison, my Audi A4's clutch is much lighter), but it's not horribly heavy either.

of course with a car this fun to drive you just might find yourself changing your commute schedule to maximize open road time :)

shawn

·
Registered
128 Posts
rsteele, give in to your lust, always. the transmission, clutch, throttle, engine, etc. are easily and pleasurably managed in town. one might need to concentrate on smoothness a bit at first, but it is quite easily done, even when not on highway 61. the only caveat to the concept of everyday driver is the damn speed the car demands of the driver. (see my post: "busted, or i fought the law...")
regards,
michael

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michael s writes:

<< the only caveat to the concept of everyday driver is the damn speed the car demands of the driver. (see my post: "busted, or i fought the law...") >>

In the end that may be what concerns me the most. A string of speeding tickets left me on the verge of license revocation for the 5 years I owned an NSX and figured heavily into my decision to buy an automatic 540i. The stealthy 540ia encourages a more sedate driving demeanor and I haven't had a ticket (or as much fun) since. They've forgotten my name at the courthouse, and I'm a good example for my teenagers. Do I want ticketing patrolmen once again expressing their gratitude at the roadside that I allowed them to overtake me? Serious dilemma.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Michael s writes:

<< the only caveat to the concept of everyday driver is the damn speed the car demands of the driver. (see my post: "busted, or i fought the law...") >>

In the end that may be what concerns me the most. A string of speeding tickets left me on the verge of license revocation for the 5 years I owned an NSX and figured heavily into my decision to buy an automatic 540i. The stealthy 540ia encourages a more sedate driving demeanor and I haven't had a ticket (or as much fun) since. They've forgotten my name at the courthouse, and I'm a good example for my teenagers. Do I want ticketing patrolmen once again expressing their gratitude at the roadside that I allowed them to overtake me? Serious dilemma.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Originally posted by rsteele:
Michael s writes:

In the end that may be what concerns me the most. A string of speeding tickets ....

The M5 is WAY stealth compared to an NSX. Especially if you're not driving Imola Red
I drive fast regularly - I try not to stick out - just the same or slightly faster than the others on the freeway. I open it up on back country two lanes and freeways at weird hours when visibility is good and traffic is light. Most cops won't notice an M5 under those conditions unless they are tailing you, in which case you will know they're there. Radar on the other hand is sometimes inescapable.

SO - get the M5. Mine is also a daily driver. (If I had another car I don't think I'd ever drive it
)

Sooner or later you get a ticket, but then, you WILL deserve it, won't you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts