BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an E39 with the MSports package. It’s not an M5, but this Board is a great resource. I’m essentially interested in upgrading my Entertainment Package. My Business CD equipment lacks the fidelity I’m looking for in a luxury German sports sedan.

Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Nice 530i, let's keep those style 43's looking nice!

Bluebus or Xtrons is your best bet. Plenty of info on each on this site.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Not sure about the options, but do you have DSP?
If so, try M-audio retrofit or Bavsound upgrades in mix with BlueBus.
BlueBus has top notch sound quality available for your system, but your speakers might not be in the best shape after 20 years.

·
Registered
358 Posts
He is referring to your wheels. BMW assigns each wheel design a different "Style" numbering.
I'm guessing the specific wheel on your car is Style 43.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your advice and information. Apparently I have DSP, but someone replaced the MID radio with a non-DSP one.

Have no idea what’s been removed, added, replaced which makes replacement, workarounds, and upgrade a major PITA!

Hood Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Computer hardware

The black plug is attached as an AUX input.

Guess I’m screwed and faced with a choice of boot-to-head cables and a mess of dongles, USB buses, and “stuff”; or blowing the entire system up, adding an amp, rewiring and replacing speakers, adding a subwoofer, and dropping $1,000 USD on an decent Android head. Very sad. ☹

·
Registered
22 Posts
@2003E39
I went with user @DennisCooper 's awesome - but expensive - surround, with an Alpine ILX-W650 head unit. You can add back-up camera, Amp, Satellite radio, etc and it looks stock.
Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not to be a negative Nancy, but the E39 530i wasn't offered as a true M-Sport option in the US. Only the 540i was in the 2003 model year. Your first photo proves my point: wrong bumpers, wheels, window trim, etc. Have you decoded your VIN yet? I could believe that you possibly have a "sport package" on this 530i, but that's not at all the same as a true '03 M-Sport.
Good luck with figuring out your audio situation!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dear Nancy,

Just kidding. I purchased the car used about two years ago, and can’t swear to anything at this point. It has the M steering wheel, shift knob, and supposedly some suspension extras.

The VIN decoder mentioned several MSport accessories, but it’s definitely NOT an M5 or a 540i. In addition to that, some “accessories” have been removed or changed. The MID radio for example isn’t a DSP unit, despite coming equipped with one originally.

Still love the car, but she (and I) know she’s a bastardized BMW.

Kind regards, Ray.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi,

2003E39 - I'd put forward those wheels on your car are Style 42 wheels - BMW wheel style 42 | BmwStyleWheels.com Your's are also the more rare and more sought after 2 piece versions with the deep lip design variation of them. As you can see in this thread, you'll get recommendations for 'all' options for your audio upgrades - OEM and 'add on' with Bluebus and new speakers, chinese replacement units and the high quality head unit route with a rather awesome and worth every penny OEM grade and spec surround/fascia that looks very close to OEM! - Each route has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: 2003E39

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help/advice. I think it’s easier to just sell the E39 and buy a Ford. 🧐

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ha, just know that the water pump on most ford v6’s is buried inside the engine, behind the timing case and attached to the actual timing chain. Had to get that job done on my wife’s 2011 flex, and I do most work on our cars and wouldn’t touch that job, was like $1200-1400 or so I believe.

The e39 will always drive better too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts