BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The beast has finally come within my price range.. Safe to say I can afford to own one now without squandering my reserve funds for Grad school. I saw a '00 M5 with 29k miles going for $41k and a '01 M5 with 46k miles for $39k. Question is this.. which do I get.. I could care less about the subtle differences for 01 (i.e grey gauges, wider NAV screen, steering design, etc) I AM GOING TO GET one..

Which is better for the long term.. I'll probably do less than 15k a year (have 2nd car) .. Engines are virtually identical I think.. Need to make a decision very soon..

Any input?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I have owned both MYoo and MY01. Purchase that MY01. That being said, there are many other factors that might sway my decision. A lot would have to do with the condition of the two cars.

All things being equal, I would take the MY01.

Mark

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
From what I've heard there are some mechanical problems you may run into with 00' models, such as replacing Vanos. I would opt for the higher mileage 01', but I am also biased because I prefer the facelifted looks (headlights, etc.). Good luck!

Travis

·
Registered
644 Posts
MAH said:
I have owned both MYoo and MY01. Purchase that MY01. That being said, there are many other factors that might sway my decision. A lot would have to do with the condition of the two cars.

All things being equal, I would take the MY01.

Mark
I second that!

-Audio

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Go for as new a car as you can afford. Mileage is not an issue with these cars as they are very well made. There was a minor facelift in MY2001 so try and get a post facelift model.

Welcome aboard :byebye:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here are a few reasons I went with the '01 vs the '00 or, the '02 or '03 for that matter. For what it's worth!

What changes were made to the E39 M5 during the time that it was produced?
Though there were no major mechanical alterations to the E39 M5 during its entire production run, there were a number of equipment alterations that appeared with the
2001 model-year M5 (from 9/00 production). These include:
-Revised headlight design incorporating illuminated "Angel Eye" rings
-"Jeweled" tallight design
-Park Distance Control sensors in the front bumper (previously in rear only)
-Thicker three-spoke M steering wheel identical to the one fitted to the E46 M3
-
Grey instrument faces
-Solar sensor for standard automatic climate control
-Revised navigation/audio unit with larger (6.5-inch) monitor
-Rear head protection airbags added
-Second-generation M Mobility tire repair system in place of earlier version
-Available M Audio System with special tweeters, Kevlar/carbon coaxial speakers and two subwoofers behind the rear console
-Alcantara headliner included with Extended Leather interior (previously only included with Complete Leather)

For the subsequent two model years, changes were limited to the addition of new exterior colors (from 9/01 production) and the upgrade to a DVD-based navigation system (from 9/02 production).

Above is why I now own ole Red.
cherrsagai

KCD

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well both cars, are what you basically might call "low-mileage" so I would go fore the one that is better. Remember, don't stare only on the mileage. There is so much more than that to stare at and take into calculation. These engines with proper service will do 250.000miles+!

Good luck, and Please DO BUY ONE:) You won't be disappointed.

:cheers:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Javacore,
I am curious are you a java programmer? Anyway, There are subtle differences between the 00' and 01' as other board members have mentioned but with all things equal I would also choose the 01'. It is important to compare the service histories of the two and I would want to know if any mods were added to the cars. It is often said that mods depreciates the car.
Regardless of what you decide you owe it to yourself to get the M5 you won't reget it, promise. :wroom:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sonic..

Was a Java programmer but I develop now mostly in C and C++ environment. Seems everyone agrees a 01 might be better. I'm comparing the service histories as we speak.. All things being equal, I'll get the 01..

cherrsagai

Sonic M5 said:
Javacore,
I am curious are you a java programmer? Anyway, There are subtle differences between the 00' and 01' as other board members have mentioned but with all things equal I would also choose the 01'. It is important to compare the service histories of the two and I would want to know if any mods were added to the cars. It is often said that mods depreciates the car.
Regardless of what you decide you owe it to yourself to get the M5 you won't reget it, promise. :wroom:

·
Registered
64 Posts
make sure you DRIVE both if you can. There are some m5 owners that really maintained their cars well and some that didnt. You will notice the differences as you continue to search.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
javacore said:
The beast has finally come within my price range.. Safe to say I can afford to own one now without squandering my reserve funds for Grad school. I saw a '00 M5 with 29k miles going for $41k and a '01 M5 with 46k miles for $39k. Question is this.. which do I get.. I could care less about the subtle differences for 01 (i.e grey gauges, wider NAV screen, steering design, etc) I AM GOING TO GET one..
Any input?
I'd get the 2001, in your scenario, assuming mechanical condition relatively equivalent. Keep in mind that if you do plan to sell it someday, the future owner might appreciate the '01 changes, in which case it would be easier to sell. I was deciding between the two model years myself, and looking back, I am glad that I ended up buying a 2001.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
191 Posts
javacore said:
Sonic..

Was a Java programmer but I develop now mostly in C and C++ environment. Seems everyone agrees a 01 might be better. I'm comparing the service histories as we speak.. All things being equal, I'll get the 01..

cherrsagai
I took the oposite route I was a C++ programmer and went over into the Java world. I have an 01' and it is such a great car, I never really appreciated driving until I got my M5, before I owned a 528i and it was a great car but it was no M5. You will love this car, it's such an awesome beast.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
agriskman said:
Go for the car with the warranty. I bought an '00 CPO and the warranty has saved me about $5k in repairs.
My factory warranty on my '01 will expire next month. I was curious as to what major repairs you experienced.

I'm hoping any conditions either aren't present in my vehicle or will make themselves known very soon.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts