BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I need some help from the E38 B12 folks please. I need to know where to find both the Alpina and the BMW VINs on the E38 B12, the 5,7 in particular. I imagine that the Alpina VIN is stamped in the strut tower (at least that is my experience with my other Alpinas) but I was wondering where I can find the original BMW VIN? Is there a place where it is reasonably accessible? I am having someone look at a car for me and I need this information as the car may just be, or not be, legal to come here (and I would really like to add an E38 B12 to the family).

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of the locations would be fantastic if you have them too.

Thanks so much!

Rob

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Rob,

It's on the strut tower as previously mentioned and is very obvious once the bonnet is open.

My 5.7 is for sale on ebay with a very low reserve if you're interested - although it is in the UK I'm afraid ouich

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks gentlemen! so I assume the Alpina VIN is also stamped on the strut tower?

Byrn, send me the link for your B12, would be curious to see it. It is a ways away and shipping would be a bit but never hurts to look!

Cheers,

·
Registered
821 Posts
Both VINs on the strut tower as mentioned - here's a pic of the one in my driveway...

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Chas and Alp1na - good to know. Sadly the car I was looking at is really beyond all hope. Shame that such a beautiful car is likely going to be relegated to the scrapper.

Bryn, I had to update my email so I did not receive yours. Could you kindly resend it?

cheers,

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks Chas and Alp1na - good to know. Sadly the car I was looking at is really beyond all hope. Shame that such a beautiful car is likely going to be relegated to the scrapper.

Bryn, I had to update my email so I did not receive yours. Could you kindly resend it?

cheers,
I guess you mean the one in Nagoya which had had chains round the roof... no hope for that one I'm afraid!

I'll resend my email now.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the one indeed. Very sad end.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Do you know how much it sold for? I considered having a bid if only to do something silly like put the engine in an E30, :wroom: but I didn't bother in the end.

Out of interest, is there a reason that you needed to send someone to inspect it? It was clear on the system I use what the damage was and it also shows the VIN number.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am not sure what it sold for, I dropped out of looking at it after hearing the report. The damage is pretty bad. The front right wheel was pointing outwards when it should have been straight, so there is something broken in there. There was a big oil leak under the car, not visible in pictures. finally, they did try to start it but the car would not run, so no guarantees on how good the motor is. The car would have to be shipped by container for sure, even if it was drivable it would not drive straight at all. Not worth the expense for me, even if I had to resort to parting it out.

I had someone inspect it so I could get the BMW VIN to find out when the chassis was made. Importation rules to Canada are 15 years to the month and this one would have just made the cut. Bummer...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts