BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is not strictly related to the m5 but any advice would be great...

My mechanic here just called me and told me my mum's 2001 740IL needs a new engine. That's about 4k USD for a used or 5k for a new engine.

The car is mainly driven by our driver to take various members of the family places and do errands etc. Cut short he is not the brightest of sparks and will frequently disagree with mechanics about all sorts of issues. A perfect example would be yesterday when he attempted to put tap water into my dads E38 radiator. This would all be smiles if the water he was about to pour in was not even considered drinkable. The tap water here is highly concentrated with salt and other impurities, it is notoruius for wrecking washing machines/ dishwashers etc.....anyway besides the point.

My dad asked me for number of the garage where I took my M5 one day, I asked why? He explained that he had just driven my mums car, and it was making a strange ticking noise when it had just been switched off and in addittion it was marginally overheating when at a standstill. I asked him what he meant and he said that when he was at the traffic light, the water temperature gauge was going slightly over half way. So the car went into the garage as a 'precaution'. My mechanic called me and said he did some computer diagnoistics and couldn't find anything, and he would need to take apart the engine to have a good look - So I said go for it.

Now he is telling me that something about the engine mountings have melted and something to do with the gaskets (Sorry if this bit is vague I was in a rush and didn't get the exact details of what he said, told him to call my dad). In short he said the engine had overheated, melted and been 'wrecked'.

What I dont understand is how this could have happened, surely the car must have thrown up a host of warnings? Besides the obvious water temperature gauge... To my understanding it really has to get near red for serious damage to occur. Even then i'm sure I read somewhere the car has some kind of cut off to stop the engine from being damaged? The strange thing is the car drives fine, no check control messages or anything!

I have already ordered a PEAKE code reader as i'm soon learning they are invaluable when you own more than one bmw. But even then, do you think it could have predicted the onest of anything like this?

Any ideas guys how this could have happend? Anyone experienced anything similar?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Possibly....overheated due to thermostat,water pump, lack of coolant, engine belt, etc then was driven too long and warped the heads, blew the head gasket. Look for water mixing with the oil. BMW's do not like to be run hot! Sorry to hear, but it sounds like if you have the means for a driver, then, a fresh motor wont put you under! Never overestimate the intelligence of hired help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Possibly....overheated due to thermostat,water pump, lack of coolant, engine belt, etc then was driven too long and warped the heads, blew the head gasket. Look for water mixing with the oil. BMW's do not like to be run hot! Sorry to hear, but it sounds like if you have the means for a driver, then, a fresh motor wont put you under! Never overestimate the intelligence of hired help.
Firstly I'd just like to remind people there is a culture difference in the Middle East. Having a 'driver' is not a sign of wealth nor social status, it is almost the norm regaurdless of nationality, especially for families.

I spoke to the mechanic again and he said that a piston was loose and the gaskets had gone. I asked him could this have happend just from one occasion, e.g. someone pushing the engine hard and something going and he said no, the engine was 'pretty burnt out' inside and it has happend several times over a period of time. Obviously it is hot in the Middle East 50 odd Degrees C in summertime, heck its 45C now, but again I'm still a bit confused as to how this could have happend.

You mentioned a thermostat, I think that could be a realistic problem as to why nothing gave off warning signs? The coolant is checked regularly and surely if it was coolant/waterpump/water pump it would throw a check control message? Mechanically a weak belt would be easy to look out for as well. Thanks for the advice though! I will call the mechanic and ask him about the water mixing with oil.

My point is the car was at bmw for a few days while they investigated the problem and said they could find 'nothing wrong' until they opened the engine! How can an engine end up in such a bad state with out some major indicators??

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
i would suggest to take it to another indy my friend it sounds like hes is takeing you for a ride

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got a E38 and I'm pretty sure that something else would give before the engine would get to a point of no return. Example: I ran my E36 with a bad water pump for about 1 mile, it went into the red zone and the first thing to give way was the radiator due to the pressure. I replaced the radiator, water pump and thermostat. Started it up and it's still running to this day. When this happened the vehicle had about 80kmi. on it, now it has about 180kmi. and it's still running like a top. It is very unlikely for the engine to get to that point without the radiator giving way first since it is plasic and high water pressure will destroy it first. As for a head gasket being bad, it is possible, but the obvious signs of that would be either white smoke from the tail pipes or water being mixed with oil (very easy to check for that). On the other hand if the cylinder head has a slight crack in it, it could cause the temp to rise slightly without any major symptoms. The most likely thing that could go bad to cause the temp to rise when the vehicle is standing still (i.e. stop light) would be the fan clutch, I currently have that same issue on my E36 and I know it's the fan clutch as I've never replaced it and I've checked to make sure it's bad.
Just my 2c.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
So the car went into the garage as a 'precaution'. My mechanic called me and said he did some computer diagnoistics and couldn't find anything, and he would need to take apart the engine to have a good look - So I said go for it
?????????

I wish I had those clients!

V8's are prone to overheating.

amongst others, the expansion tank next to the rad tends to leak on the seam and the top half of the thermostat housing also breaks.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts