BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys & gals,

My sister owns a '97 M3 coupe, 5 spd, 157K miles, techno violet, thousand$ in mods, lives in Arizona, accident last weekend.

Turning left in the outside lane of a double left turn turn. Audi SUV in the inside lane takes it wide & destroys left rear quarter panel of the M. Cops on scene say, they don't get involved, so there is no official police report from the scene. Hartford Insurance says it's a total loss based on the value of $12,900.

We all know $12,9 is light but what evidence can I provide that will convince them.

Any advice on the best recourse here? I can show them cars for sale with asking prices in to the $30's but does that carry enough weight to change the valuation they've established? Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts hugely appreciated... Obviuosly not much time... Sister beside herself....

Thanks,
Chris is 1fast5
2001 e39 M5

Reactions: Robospeed

·
Registered
177 Posts
To be honest, 12,900 is a good money for the car. You cannot obviously buy a similar car for that money - but it is what it is. FWIW, I sold my 1998 sedan 5MT with 130k miles for about 9k. Why not take the money, buy back the car and fix it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest, 12,900 is a good money for the car. You cannot obviously buy a similar car for that money - but it is what it is. FWIW, I sold my 1998 sedan 5MT with 130k miles for about 9k. Why not take the money, buy back the car and fix it?
But if it's not enough to replace with similar..., wouldn't that be an indicator that their number is too low? And to put it back together could be a good option if wanting a track car or something to terrorize neighborhoods with but any potential collectibility would be gone.

Since my post, little sister has gotten some info from Haggerty Ins., who has nothing to do with this transaction by the way. My fav is the Historical Value Chart that tracks the value month by month over the past year. E36 M3 owners are gonna love this. According to it, her M in good condition is valued at $18K and change!! We'll try to get a pro-rate on suspension & wheel upgrades too. Maybe Hartford will argue it but I think it's pretty convincing.

I appreciate you input Mageshkk. Let you know how it turns out.

Chris is 1fast5.

Reactions: Mageshkk

·
Registered
2000 M5
36 Posts
One option which I pursued when we got hit - refuse to let insurance company total car. Don't accept their offer. It takes a LOT more time and energy and swearing, but can be done. You have a right to make the other idiot make your car whole again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your best bet is to put together a little report with comparable cars listed for sale across the web through the likes of AutoTrader and BringATrailer. You'll also want to detail any modifications to the car and recent services that would have a substantive value to the car. I did this when my '03 530i was stolen some years ago and got a bit of an increase in the totaled value as I had some recent service done to the car as well as had retrofitted it with OEM nav. May or may not work with your insurance company but the more detail on paper you can provide the better your chances of getting that value increased.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One option which I pursued when we got hit - refuse to let insurance company total car. Don't accept their offer. It takes a LOT more time and energy and swearing, but can be done. You have a right to make the other idiot make your car whole again.
First time the insurance rep hinted that the co. might total it, they were informed that was not going to happen. If you knew my sister..... She loves that car and will fight to keep it. The claims adjuster looked at the car several days ago, hasn't sent an estimate of the damage but says it's a total loss. The apparent eagerness to total it has me suspicious wondering if someone at the insurance company wants it. Additional documentation supporting a much higher value for a 97 M3 has been sent to them and, I am told, is under review. This could get interesting.

·
Registered
2000 M5
36 Posts
Good luck. May be worth escalating so you're not speaking to the regular employee who doesn't care for customer relations... Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your best bet is to put together a little report with comparable cars listed for sale across the web through the likes of AutoTrader and BringATrailer. You'll also want to detail any modifications to the car and recent services that would have a substantive value to the car. I did this when my '03 530i was stolen some years ago and got a bit of an increase in the totaled value as I had some recent service done to the car as well as had retrofitted it with OEM nav. May or may not work with your insurance company but the more detail on paper you can provide the better your chances of getting that value increased.
Over the years I've totalled 3 bikes (it doesn't take much to total a bike) and found that helping insurance determine value can be the difference between an ok settlement and a good one. I found 8 or 10 comparable cars on car gurus that ranged in price from high teens into the 30's, most were in the 20's. Insurance wasn't impressed with asking prices. But the historic value chart provided by Haggerty Ins is comprehensive, logical and insuring collector cars is what they do. I'm not sure if there's a valid argument against all that but we're gonna find out. Thanks Scotes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck. May be worth escalating so you're not speaking to the regular employee who doesn't care for customer relations... Let us know what happens.
Thanks and I will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts