BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I went on holiday, I had a problem with the fuel gauge not working, so I did INPA and it established Tank Sensor inoperative.
So I put it into the garage to have a new one fitted.

I went to collect the car today and they say that they have fitted a new Tank Sensor, and repaired some frayed wiring, but it has
not fixed the problem, I need a new Instrument Cluster, at a cost of 'just' EUR 1200 ??????

When I then went to drive away, it appears that the Speedo & Tripmeter are not working now either, which they said was not working
before either, but I know it was because I'd been driving it for last 6 weeks with no problems. When I went back to complain, they tested
again and said it was definitely the Instrument Cluster, even if I 'thought' it had been working before.

Has anyone experienced this problem before ?? I've heard of pixels going etc, but I've never heard of one or two gauges going (the Tacho
and Temp gauges still work, as do all the lights etc)

Does anyone know of a company that repairs Instrument panels etc ??

I'm assuming I can't just use any Instrument panel temporarily as they're coded to the car?? I also have the added problem that mine has to
be coded to V8 (not 6cyl) which doersn't help.

Answers on a postcard pls.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, only one was defective according computer diagnostic check.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thxvm info Bernhard :M5thumbs:

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
You might get really weird symptoms like these with a dodgy ground wire for the dash.
It's worth checking that it is secure.

Also, a dying alternator could possibly cause these symptoms.
Check the voltage remains stable - you have the extra gauges right?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya Kees, I have got the extra digital gauges, but mine are from a Switchtronic car, so I don't have the battery meter.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris, send it over to me....I´ll let it check ;)

Cheers,
Dirk
Hey Dirk, long time no hear, howru? How's the house?
Are you going to be at KHK this year?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hey Dirk, long time no hear, howru? How's the house?
Are you going to be at KHK this year?
Hey Chris,

Yeah so so. Still a lot work @ the House. How about you?
I have planned to go there,if it's allowed to join with the B1 :d and of course it is not raining.

Will you join?

Cheers,
Dirk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Chris,

Yeah so so. Still a lot work @ the House. How about you?
I have planned to go there,if it's allowed to join with the B1 :d and of course it is not raining.

Will you join?

Cheers,
Dirk
I have planned to, although I will not stay in Frankfurt overnight like previous times because have to work late
Friday eve, will drive up early Saturday morning, then have to be back in Lux same night.
Could we meet somewhere like before perhaps??

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have planned to, although I will not stay in Frankfurt overnight like previous times because have to work late
Friday eve, will drive up early Saturday morning, then have to be back in Lux same night.
Could we meet somewhere like before perhaps??

Cheers, Chris
as said Chris, depends on the weather. But for sure if the weather is good, we can meet upfront. Or you just pass by our house. Very close to the airbort now.

Perhaps I´ll find a spare cluster for you too :cheers:

Regards,
Dirk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as said Chris, depends on the weather. But for sure if the weather is good, we can meet upfront. Or you just pass by our house. Very close to the airbort now.

Perhaps I´ll find a spare cluster for you too :cheers:

Regards,
Dirk
OK Dirk, I will give you a call on Saturday morning before I leave, then we can maybe arrange something.
If you have a spare cluster that I can borrow until mine is fixed, that would be very much appreciated.

Take care, speak soon.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
620 Posts
OK Dirk, I will give you a call on Saturday morning before I leave, then we can maybe arrange something.
If you have a spare cluster that I can borrow until mine is fixed, that would be very much appreciated.

Take care, speak soon.

Cheers, Chris
when will you start on Saturday?

Cheers,
Dirk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when will you start on Saturday?

Cheers,
Dirk
I planned to try to get to the Jagdhof at KHK for 1400pm, and it's approx 4 hrs from Lux at 'normal' speeds, so I guess around
1000am, but if I am going to meet up with you I will probably leave a bit earlier.

Cheers, Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts