BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of looking at buying one but i have only seen 2 for sale in the UK. Any id4eas please

Cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
nazor said:
thinking of looking at buying one but i have only seen 2 for sale in the UK. Any id4eas please

Cheers :cheers:
The short answer is: Germany

They were never officially imported by Sytner into the UK (I presume we're talking E46 here?)

So, either import your own, or just stop wussing about and get one of the B8's...

·
Registered
122 Posts
hythe said:

They were never officially imported by Sytner into the UK (I presume we're talking E46 here?)

So, either import your own, or just stop wussing about and get one of the B8's...
Well said Sir!

Joni P

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted by hythe

if you bothered to look at the top of the thread i have stated it was an E36.

i want a RHD and Sytners did produce them and supply them, they supply E46 as well!

nevermind :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
nazor said:
Originally Posted by hythe

if you bothered to look at the top of the thread i have stated it was an E36.

i want a RHD and Sytners did produce them and supply them, they supply E46 as well!

nevermind :rolleyes:
Hang on a sec - Sytner never produced any E36 B3s, did it?

Fair call on the E36 vs. E46 point, mind.

You should still get an LHD B8 4.6, though! Perhaps it's just me, but what's the point of a manual B3 that's slower than the equivalent manual M3...?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fairly certain they assembled the early E36 before the later ones were built in Germany and sold via sytners

not much off the pace of M3, more torque and more exclusive :hihi:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
nazor said:
fairly certain they assembled the early E36 before the later ones were built in Germany and sold via sytners

The early E36 was the B6 2.8, no?

Exclusive is good, though, I agree, except insofar as it makes it really hard to find a good one (as you have discovered) - why the mental block with LHD, though?

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
There were couple of Alpina models based on the E36 shell...
B6 2.8
B3 3.0 (later followed by the B3 3.2)
B8 4.6

All of them were built in Germany, but Synter ordered cars were naturally also available in RHD. The B8 4.6 was never officially imported to the UK and therefore also not available as RHD.

The B3 3.0 and 3.2 competed directly with the E36 M3 3.0 and 3.2. Therefore many of the original owners only spec'd them in ways unavailable in the M3 - for example with Touring bodyshell or frequently as 'automatic' alternative to the M3 - as the Alpina Switchtronic was better than SMG I. That's also the reason there's not that many manual E36 B3's around.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you hit the nail on the head Kees, never was an auto M3, thats why the manual variant is soo **** hard to locate.

Alas i will wait until one comes up, i still may have a switchtronic, these are available very easily in the uk, but wud prefer a manual.

Kees from the UK production fuigures do you know how many B3 3.0/3.2 were manual from 94-97?

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
nazor said:
Kees from the UK production fuigures do you know how many B3 3.0/3.2 were manual from 94-97?
Nope - just that there were 93 imported to the UK by Synter (and a few grey import LHD).

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
nazor said:

Nazor
The e30 C2.5's were the cars that Sytner produced before Alpina in Germany, the e36 was produced the other way round.
AG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts