BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
Recently my brother has sold his e21 C2 rep. and gone out and bought himself a B2.5 Alpina e36,The dashboard plaque says it is conversion No. 8,but of how many??? We have looked for info/specs/etc on this particular car and not came up with a lot. Can anybody shed some light on this subject?:confused: :confused:

·
Banned
664 Posts
This car ?

eBay

I actually saw it and added it to the register (theALPINAregister.com)

Information is always a little sketchy about the older cars but this car was built by L&C under sub-contract from Sytners. As for numbers - no idea I'm afraid.

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
153 Posts
I actually don´t think its an actual Alpina since Alpina themselves never built a
E36 B2,5 ...........But still its a very nice car

·
Registered
146 Posts
These cars were made under license for the UK market, was mainly cosmetic and mild tweaks to the cams/remap and alpina exhaust, good for circa 220bhp. i believe there are only 200 or so made, making them quite rare, its not an official alpina model but sytners made them, just like they made the B9 old 5 series (again same sort of thing with cosmetics etc).

Naz :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
44 Posts
just thought i would help as i have owned one...
200 produced ... all by sytners. they took the 325i coupe and did the following:-
fitted a re mapped ecu
fitted a stainless alpina exhaust system ( some had a modified manifold and some used the standard unit. )
17" alpina alloys were fitted and the inside of the rear arches were re rolled to allow for larger wheels.
steering wheel and gearknob conversion to alpina parts.
suspension changed to alpina spec except for those cars already fitted with motorsport suspension.
front and rear spoilers.
alpina badging
all together this gave approx 220 bhp.
unfortunately the b2.5 did not take off because once the conversion was done it was more expensive than the popular e36 m3 which gave 285bhp+
sytners produced a spec sheet for each car and you can get a copy by writing to them. this will tell you who carried out the work and when it was done. as yours is no.8 it is very early...if i remember correctly mine was in the 60's number wise and was a 1992 car on a j plate.
they are great cars and the benefits are mainly in the torque. i hope you enjoy it.

dave
E28 B9 3.5

·
Registered
339 Posts
nazor

just a point.. the b9 was a full alpina not just a cosmetic revamp....

·
Registered
146 Posts
im sure that one of the 5 series was a cosmetci job, maybe im getting mixed with the b2.8 which was based on 528i and noo engine mods? :confused2

·
Registered
339 Posts
yes mate you did it confused... the b2.8 e28 was as you said only a cosemetic job like the e36 b2.5 as was the b3.5 e34.

basically models that have number after the B or C letters (such as C1 and C2 or B7 or B9 etc..) are all genuine FULL alpina models...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Also, may I point out that although they were carried out and completed by Sytners, they are still classed as Alpina's. (In a strange sense of the word 'genuine') But are not as desirable as the real thing!

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Andy G said:
Also, may I point out that although they were carried out and completed by Sytners, they are still classed as Alpina's. (In a strange sense of the word 'genuine') But are not as desirable as the real thing!
They aren't real Alpinas in the sense that they don't have Alpina VINs. Also they break a few of the unwritten rules by Alpina: only new cars are converted, cars receive a balanced package composed of engine/suspension/brakes/interieur.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
well in that case, UK Alpina's such as UK's B9's B10's etc aren't classed as the genuine items? But this is not so, even Buchloe class these as the proper Alpina's. The make over cars I can understand but not the full conversions that Sytners carried out, and these don't have an Alpina VIN. Plus Sytners carried out conversions on cars that were up to 6 months old.
Sytners did only cars that would have the full package as you say, although over here, you didn't have to have the interior treatment. Std BMW would be OK.

·
Administrator
8,806 Posts
Andy G said:
well in that case, UK Alpina's such as UK's B9's B10's etc aren't classed as the genuine items? But this is not so, even Buchloe class these as the proper Alpina's. The make over cars I can understand but not the full conversions that Sytners carried out, and these don't have an Alpina VIN. Plus Sytners carried out conversions on cars that were up to 6 months old.
Sytners did only cars that would have the full package as you say, although over here, you didn't have to have the interior treatment. Std BMW would be OK.
The Buchloe-built E28 B9 didn't have Alpina VINS either. The interesting issue this presents is that the V8 Roadster doesn't have Alpina VIN either...what does that say?

It is possible to specify very low-spec Buchloe-built Alpinas too. There are E36 B8s with cloth interieur, manual windows, mirrors and standard unpainted bumpers...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
so, an open issue! It is difficult to assess what's correct and what's not.
I know that other country suppliers had a slightly different take on what they can or can't do where an Alpina is concerned, but as far as I am aware, in the UK, Buchloes objectives were stuck to as much as the market would demand. Only going a little wayward where market specials such as the B2.8, B3.5 and the B2.8 e36's were concerned.
Interesting point Kees.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Andy g/Andy i waqs unaware there was a B3.5 e34, there is one currently on ebay and i assumed that the "10" had been taken off for whatever reason just leaving the "B3.5" badge left. does this car not have a tweaked engine then?

PS D4/Andy ring me sometime re brouchure :wroom:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
nazor, you're right. The B3.5 (available as an e34 535 or an e32 735) was basically a cosmetic version only of the B10 and the B11 of the same cars. Had no engine work.

·
Registered
339 Posts
at least it had an Alpina vin tag though.. which is more than can be said for the UK cars..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Antonov said:
since Alpina didn't become a recognized car-manufacturer until1983, all pre-'83 alpina's came without an Alpina-VIN (WAP...)
My B10 was built november 30th 1987!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts