BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 years of E34 M5 ownership I've got a itch I need to scratch in the shape of an E39 M5. I need to hear that V8 roar. Has anyone else done this? Were you happy? Any negatives?

I will still be keeping the E34 as I'm un-ashamedly in love with it, It just too nice to use as an everyday driver any more and its a PITA to drive in traffic.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Hi Dan, I did this move about 2 months ago. I sold my e34m5 though :( The e39 can't replace the e34's beauty by any means and there's something about the way you could flick the e34 into the corners that I miss too. However, the ridiculous amount of power your right foot has on tap with the e39 will leave you with a stupid grin on your face any time you drive it. Enjoy the new car. I am.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Cant speak about E34 ,but think grin factor of E39 would win even the most die hard over!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The e39 is immense. I want an e34 aswell to go with mine! e39 M5 wo't disappoint!

cheers

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Both different cars.

Think of the E39 as an E34 that went to the gym and went to finishing school! Much more refined, much more powerful, but not as "raw". It is tossable, but not as light on its feet as the E34 and the motor is not as cammy. the E39 just does a steady pull (well, at least until you get a supercharger! :thumbsup:). And, do some suspension work (coil overs or Dinan stage III) and put rear wheels on the fronts to help balance understeer, and the car feels like it shed 500 pounds.

I don't think the OP will be disappointed, especially since he is keeping the E34. Kind of like having your cake and eating it too...

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
756 Posts
made the switch years ago, miss the e34 hugely but the e39 is so impressive it has made it feel much less of a loss,

do it would be my advice.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm in the same boat as well with my ongoing e39 beast hunt from an e34. With an overwhelming majority of e39 owners on this forum, I would expect nothing less than encouraging responses

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've owned both and they're very different. Best of both worlds would obviously be to own both. The E39 feels like a polished, high-speed luxury sedan. The E34 feels more like a bigger E30...super tossable, very connected to the road and makes all the right sounds. By comparison the E39 feels much, much heavier. However, the S62 is the best motor I've ever driven. With the S38 you have to wring it out to go seriously fast; the S62's torque moves you off the line effortlessly but keeps pulling just like a straight 6 all the way to redline.

If you haven't driven an E39 M5 yet I suggest you don't until you're serious about buying one. You'll be hooked instantly. :D

Tim

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I actually want something different from the E34, its a fabulous car that I love every second of driving but it feels a little to special to drive every day in all weathers now - its also been almost fully restored so I really want to keep it in top condition now.

What I'm looking for is effortless power with refinement and the flexibilty to drive dependant on my mood. I also want something that is a better everyday drive. I feel the E34's is only happy when I'm pressing on which is fine on an empty road in good conditions but frustrating at other times.

I've always loved the E39 and I currently have a 540 touring as a daily drive, which is great, but it's not an M car and I want to be driving a manual ideally.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, there are negatives, I'm surprised nobody brought this up yet......:dunno:

OP, I'm not going into detail here but do a search and read up on the engine's rod bearing issue. If you're willing to take that into account, I'd say go for it....

·
Registered
304 Posts

OP, I'm not going into detail here but do a search and read up on the engine's rod bearing issue. If you're willing to take that into account, I'd say go for it....
The bearing failure seems common with cars that have a higher rev limit than specified,and/or low viscocity oil.

Its not an issue.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
What I'm looking for is effortless power with refinement and the flexibilty to drive dependant on my mood. I also want something that is a better everyday drive.
You pretty much described the E39M5 right there.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I will still be keeping the E34 as I'm un-ashamedly in love with it, It just too nice to use as an everyday driver any more and its a PITA to drive in traffic.
As long as you are keeping the E34 I say, "go for it!!" You've put way too much effort into your E34 to have it be a daily driver. If I ever finish mine I don't think that I could bear to drive it daily...

What aspect of the E34 do you have issue with in traffic? My only fear here would be that you'd have the same issues with an E39.

I agree with most of the posters here in that the E39 takes the feeling of the E34, adds some weight and an equal amount of refinement. It's a phenomenally comfortable car that is still well capable of giving you an ear-to-ear grin every time you drive it. Keep in mind, though, that it does feel much bigger than the E34 and that may or may not be an issue for you.

As much as I am completely neurotic I would recommend you not pay too much negative attention to issues like rod bearings and other E39 maladies. In reality it's no different than keeping an E34 in tip-top shape. As you've already experienced the heart attack that is E34 parts prices the E39 may actually be a welcome change.... and at the same time you'll be amazed at how similar the two cars really are.

The problem is when you find the "perfect" E39 and then go looking for another daily driver so as not to mess up the E39... ask me how I know! :D

I'm on an M3 kick lately, but who knows what's next...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
What aspect of the E34 do you have issue with in traffic? My only fear here would be that you'd have the same issues with an E39.
I agree with this. If the OP has an earlier E34M5, they had a heavier clutch than the '93s and later. If the OP has an E34M5 with one of the lighter clutches than I don't think much drivability will gained in traffic with the E39M5. But yes, knowing what aspect would help.

·
Registered
756 Posts

slight over reaction ??????

·
Registered
691 Posts
slight over reaction ??????
Yeah, right....as long as there are regular posts of scared owners hearing a knock and wondering if it's their rod bearings, plus others who had them fail for no apparent reason on a meticulously maintained car that never sees anywhere near redline, it's an issue in my book.

There are tons of topics running thousands of views on the matter, and now I believe it's only fair to point it out to a potential new owner
(who, by the way, WAS asking for negatives, remember?) I'm overreacting?

Oh well. You're entitled to your opinion, as am I.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with this. If the OP has an earlier E34M5, they had a heavier clutch than the '93s and later. If the OP has an E34M5 with one of the lighter clutches than I don't think much drivability will gained in traffic with the E39M5. But yes, knowing what aspect would help.

My E34 is an 03/90 build and yes the clutch is very heavy and is a pain if you have to ride it in just rolling traffic. That is in itself not too much of a problem as its just the reality of driving a manual rather than an auto.

The main problem in traffic is the nature of the beast, it just feels like it wants to go all the time and is not really comfortable burbling around at low RPM, this may also be a problem with the E39 as well but I think/hope that the torquier nature of the engine will make it a bit more bearable.

In relation to the rod (big end?) bearing issue, yes I'm a little concerned about it, as is every one who owns one of these cars is I would imagine. I do think you would probably have to be unlucky with a well maintained car though, still having had a terminal failure of my S38 at 139,000 miles its not an experience I wish to repeat. The car I'm looking at still has its warranty in place which I'll aim to keep running if I buy it so if the worst should happen I'll be covered. Is there any way of detecting a problem with them before they go without inspecting them? It would be much better to get them replaced (under warranty of course) before they fail and do any more damage.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yeah, right....as long as there are regular posts of scared owners hearing a knock and wondering if it's their rod bearings, plus others who had them fail for no apparent reason on a meticulously maintained car that never sees anywhere near redline, it's an issue in my book.

There are tons of topics running thousands of views on the matter, and now I believe it's only fair to point it out to a potential new owner
(who, by the way, WAS asking for negatives, remember?) I'm overreacting?

Oh well. You're entitled to your opinion, as am I.
now you are over reacting to youre over reaction!!:D you sound like the type of chap who helps to build internet misconceptions, i.e vanos , rod bearings etc etc

calm down.:biggrin:

·
Registered
691 Posts
LOL! :D Maybe I sound like one, but I definately don't do internet misconception building. Others have done that a long time
ago and will keep on doing it.

I'm just giving my own opinion on the matter. I took off my rose colored glasses and look at the E39M5 in a different way.
It's a great, great car, but is does have issues.

It's not all sunshine and roses, ya know.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts