BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
bmwdirtracer ................. the M60 motor is a turd? Really now, granted it's not the "full race" S38 motor but I think my supercharged M60 is really up to par performance wise as your S38. Power delivery is much more "brutal, (for lack of a better word), then my S62 without all the maintenance issues involved and getting that power to the ground via 265's and 3.15 LSD differential in the rear has really been effortless for the last 108K miles. Please don't lambast folks for their opinion because they are entitled to theirs just as you yours.

And before I forget, there's a guy around here who's been trying to sell his 3.6 M5 a while and seems to have difficulties getting it, what year is your e39 M5? Perhaps I can buy the aforementioned and trade you
Where are you at in Colorado? Also would like to know where this 3.6 M5 is thats for sale?

-Greg

OP: Sorry to derail your thread, in for more updates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No worries! I enjoy the discussion. I won't have an opportunity to do more work on the car till June. I'm a full time graduate student in dentistry and bioethics so I don't get many opportunities to work unfortunately. It is so close though. I have all the fuel lines, coolant lines and brake lines sitting in the garage waiting to go in. I just have to plum everything up and give it a start test.

·
Registered
337 Posts
sorry to reply this way 93FIM5, tried to PM you and couldn't find the PM link on your profile. The guy selling has a white e34 3.6L M5 and must live somewhere between Littleton and Boulder in that the pics he uses as a backdrop are at the Fort restaurant, Red Rocks Amphitheater and the Flat Irion's up by where the NOAA building is in Boulder. I base my assumptions on that. Checked the Denver and Boulder Craigslist and he's not listing right now. He does list every several months and wants $5K for the car. I would say I can post his ad as it comes to my attention but noticing you're local you can check just as easily as I can.

Happy motoring

·
Registered
10 Posts
No worries! I enjoy the discussion. I won't have an opportunity to do more work on the car till June. I'm a full time graduate student in dentistry and bioethics so I don't get many opportunities to work unfortunately. It is so close though. I have all the fuel lines, coolant lines and brake lines sitting in the garage waiting to go in. I just have to plum everything up and give it a start test.
LOL. You can open up a dentist practice and in the back a custom works BMW shop.:wink

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
bmwdirtracer ................. the M60 motor is a turd? Really now, granted it's not the "full race" S38 motor but I think my supercharged M60 is really up to par performance wise as your S38. Power delivery is much more "brutal, (for lack of a better word), then my S62 without all the maintenance issues involved and getting that power to the ground via 265's and 3.15 LSD differential in the rear has really been effortless for the last 108K miles. Please don't lambast folks for their opinion because they are entitled to theirs just as you yours.

And before I forget, there's a guy around here who's been trying to sell his 3.6 M5 a while and seems to have difficulties getting it, what year is your e39 M5? Perhaps I can buy the aforementioned and trade you
Yeah, sorry Thumper, you're absolutely right, and my sincere apologies to you, and to Super 540....it was just the calling of the S38 as a "torqueless beast", on this particular forum, which set me off.

The M62 is a great engine to drive, but I work on BMWs for a living, and I don't consider it to be a reliable engine, like BMW's M5x, M30, and S38 engines. Of course, I will say that it's FAR more reliable than any N-series engine.

I think if the M62 didn't have the time-bomb timing rails, it would be amongst my favorite engines....but it's just so damned hard to tell the owner of a ~120K mile car that he needs to spend $5000 on replacing broken plastic. (That's based on the book rate of ~35 hours, like on the 740 I'm doing this on, right now, and not counting all the other stuff you do, because you're there....like the valley pan, the water pipe seals, etc, etc.)

From Alldata:

2001 BMW 740iL (E38) V8-4398cc 4.4L DOHC (M62 TU)

Vehicle » Engine, Cooling and Exhaust » Engine » Timing Chain » Parts Information
<table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="first" style="height: 30px; text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 66%;">Parts Information</td> <td class="first" style="height: 30px; width: 10%;">OEM Part #</td> <td class="first" style="height: 30px; width: 10%;">Price</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="none" style="text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 10%; width: 66%;">Timing Chain
</td> <td class="none" style="width: 10%;">
</td> <td class="none" style="text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="odd" style="height: 30px; text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 10%; width: 66%;">18 - Camshaft Chain
</td> <td class="odd" style="height: 30px; width: 10%;">11311747437</td> <td class="odd" style="height: 30px; text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;"> $82.70</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="even" style="height: 30px; text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 10%; width: 66%;">18 - Timing Chain
</td> <td class="even" style="height: 30px; width: 10%;">11311741746</td> <td class="even" style="height: 30px; text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;"> $147.07</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="first" style="height: 30px; text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 59%;">Labor Information</td> <td class="first" style="height: 30px; width: 7%;">Skill Level</td> <td class="first" style="height: 30px; width: 10%;">Mfg. Warranty</td> <td class="first" style="height: 30px; width: 10%;">Standard</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="none" style="text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 10%; width: 59%;">Timing Chain
</td> <td class="none" style="width: 7%;">
</td> <td class="none" style="text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="odd" style="height: 30px; text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 10%; width: 59%;">Replace
Includes: Chain Guides, Tensioner and Make Any Adjustments.
</td> <td class="odd" style="height: 30px; width: 7%;"> B</td> <td class="odd" style="height: 30px; text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;"> 16.7</td> <td class="odd" style="height: 30px; text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;"> 35.3</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="none" style="text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 10%; width: 59%;">NOTE
</td> <td class="none" style="width: 7%;">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr><td><table class="table" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td class="even" style="height: 30px; text-align: left; padding: 0 0 0 10px; width: 10%; width: 59%;">To R&R Sprockets, Add
</td> <td class="even" style="height: 30px; width: 7%;"> B</td> <td class="even" style="height: 30px; text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;"> 0.4</td> <td class="even" style="height: 30px; text-align: right; padding: 0 10px 0 0; width: 10%;"> 0.5</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

© 2016 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

My E39 M5 is an '01, has 190k miles, is in perfect shape (except the engine), and will be receiving a replacement engine between 63 k miles and 111k miles, and I'll be installing new con rod bearings and ARP bolts. (I have located several engines, and I'm going to be ordering one in the next couple of days). The car has received ~$3or 4K in maintenance and new parts in the week I owned it, before I blew up the engine.

And yes, on the street, it'll run the doors off an E34 M5. And I'd be very happy to trade it for a good E34 M5.

Again, my sincere apologies to you, and Super 540, and other lovers of the M62. It's a great pleasure to drive a car with that engine, and I'm very sure that a supercharged one would be incredible.

Chris

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, I too was a little harsh in the term "torqueless beast". For that I am truly sorry. The S38 is an awesome engine, but not for me with Bay Area traffic (except 8pm-5am), and I love V8s. But this is simply a personal choice. But I do love the E34 M5 owner's passion for their cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The e34 is now running! Next week it will be driving. I installed the new 3.15 LSD today as well as getting it fired up. My electronic throttle isn't working. I may have to switch to an M5 or Z3M potentiometer.

Link to video of first start: http://youtu.be/OgNrH6sPhuA

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got some suspension work done. The car is running really well, still not driving though due to throttle issues. I had to buy a new one.

I put a staggers set of 18" style 32s on. The CCWs where just too wide and the wrong offset to be practical at the moment. I intend to build a set of wheels that fits better.

And of course, can't forget the engine pic.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
VERY, VERY NICELY DONE.

Thank you for sharing.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts