BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just thought I would introduce myself to this forum. I don't actually own an e34 M5 so I may not really belong here, but I'll try :)

I am in the process of installing an S62 in my e34 540i 6 speed. A couple members on this forum did this swap with an e34 M5, but I decided to do it with a 540i since it is a bit easier.

This is the car I am working with, it is going lower once the motor is in and sorted, right now it looks awkward with 18" CCWs on stock Mtech suspension, but that will change soon:

This is the motor that is going into the car:

Before I put the motor in I did some maintenance including rod bearings, this is what mine looked like after 142,993 miles:

quite a few things went into making this possible, including using the E-throttle from the e32 750il, the hydroboost from a 750il, and a number of other things. If you want more information about the swap I have a build thread over on bimmerforums that attempts to detail as much as I remember to.

The car is being built in California and so has to comply with California smog regulations, which makes the job slightly more complicated. Should be pretty awesome when it is done though.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you didn't do the swap into an E34 M5. In my estimation, the S38 is a MUCH better engine than the S62. That said, the S62 is much better than the M60, so you're on the way to a wonderful swap.

Glad to see you've changed the con rod bearings....I exploded my S62 six days after I bought the car, because I decided to chance the bearings for one track event......bad mistake. I'll do a postmortem as soon as I'm able to afford a replacement engine....hopefully coming up soon....several members at this forum have given magnificent asssistance, to this end.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
What clutch and brakes setup are you planing to go with?
Seems like a powerful build.
Do the lazy man a favor and post a link to the build thread.
and finally.. good job sir.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! The link is here:BMW E34 S62 Swap

Yes, the S62 and M60 are physically the same size and everything bolts up between the two motors, so that part of the swap is a no brainer.

I am using the hydroboost braking system from the 750il, which is also the same system used in the e31 850i and 850csi. I used the hydroboost because I needed the space in front of the drivers side headlight for the duel intake. The intake system has to be California legal in order to pass the BAR, which means it has to be stock. As for brakes themselves, I plan to go with either the 850i brakes or just swapping to an M5 set up at some point. For the clutch I had a brand new M5 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel that came with my motor, so for now I'm keeping it stock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What? AFAIK M60 is good. No vanos, no bearing problems, no timing chain problems...
Yeah the M60 is a solid motor. I really liked it even stock, and I am sure there are other ways of getting the same result as the S62 power wise. However, I really love the S62, maybe it is an irrational love, but I like it a lot.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
What? AFAIK M60 is good. No vanos, no bearing problems, no timing chain problems...
The timing chain rails are much the same as the M62: trash. Like the M62, done by ~100k miles. The bearings? Well, if you don't rev it, they're fine. The lifters are terrible, noisy as hell over 100k miles. The M62 vanos has never been much of a problem, if the oil is changed regularly, in my experience. For street use, the M62 runs the doors off M60s, because of the MUCH wider torque band of the VANOS motor.

But neither of those engines likes to rev; if used at high rpm, they never last long. Oh, and the sleeves are paper-thin, and melt down, along with the pistons, if the engine gets hot.

(See this thread:yes it's an M62):
Overheat; "two miles from home"

While M62- equipped cars are glorious to drive, they don't take exuberant driving like BMW's six-cylinder motors, in my opinion.

Oh....most important: The M60 and the M62 are the LEAKIEST sumbiches BMW ever make, They leak air, coolant, and oil, EVERYWHERE. {Here, look at this thread....oh boy, coolant leaks in the bellhousing!:)
.V8 hidden coolant leaks w/ugly pics

Then there are the always leaky seams between block,head, and the three timing covers, the coolant pipes, the valley pan. The airleaks at the plastic manifold endplates, the garbage CCV system.......ARRRGH!

Weird, because yes, I do love driving a big car with the motor. And I'm quite happy working on it, I know every bolt....but let's just say I've never seen one over 175 k miles that didn't need MANY thousands of dollars. I see M50s, 52s, 54s WAY over that mileage every day.

In fact, I have an M62 car on my lift right now. It got all the timing rails, etc a bit over two years ago. Now it's getting a replacement engine. Not the engine's fault, though; it was abused by absurd oil change intervals.

I don't have much pity for this one though....it's in a Range Rover. Nothing electrical in the vehicle works anyway, as always. Yes, it will climb a tree. But ON the road, an X5 will run circles around it.

Eh, never mind me, I'm just whining, tired of broken cars, must be in the wrong line of work, huh?

Love ya guys!

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad you decided on a S62. 6 cylinder M5s are torque-less beasts. To be happy and in performance mode, you have to always rev past 4.5k. Ok if you do not live near traffic. I decided to build up my E34 540i/6 M62 with S62 crankshaft, JE pistons, Arrow rods and Darton flanged sleeves. Good luck on your fun project, and I envy your wrenching skills.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Glad you decided on a S62. 6 cylinder M5s are torque-less beasts. To be happy and in performance mode, you have to always rev past 4.5k. Ok if you do not live near traffic. I decided to build up my E34 540i/6 M62 with S62 crankshaft, JE pistons, Arrow rods and Darton flanged sleeves. Good luck on your fun project, and I envy your wrenching skills.

Not all 6 cyl m5s are torque-less. Some make more wtq than 540s do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the rod bearings did you just order an OEM set and toss them in? Or are they select-fit sizes?
I did a bit of research about what I should replace them with, and I decided to simply order an oem set and toss them in. I know this is debated a bit, but the crank journals did not show signs of wear and the crank has never been removed from the motor, so I knew it would take the standard size just fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've never had an issue just tossing in standard bearings either. On engines that rev higher and have more cylinder pressure, too. Was just wondering if there was any "BMW special sauce" involved in the S62. Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Wow, really?

Um, this is seriously the wrong forum to badmouth the S38. And, well, my S38 3.6 M5 was actually faster around V.I.R. than my S62 E39....and then the S62 exploded.

Torque-less beasts? You need to go play on a different forum. Are you just trying to piss people off? The S38 is a full on race engine, the very best there's ever been. The M60/62 is really a turd, in comparison, and the S62 is an unreliable, bling-bling imitation of a real M engine....and, keep in mind, I OWN ONE!

I am in the process of replacing my S62 with a low mile example; I'll replace conrod bearings and bolts. If anyone want to trade me an E34 M5 for my E39 M5, please contact me. The S38 is a MUCH better engine than the S62, always and forever..

·
Registered
337 Posts
bmwdirtracer ................. the M60 motor is a turd? Really now, granted it's not the "full race" S38 motor but I think my supercharged M60 is really up to par performance wise as your S38. Power delivery is much more "brutal, (for lack of a better word), then my S62 without all the maintenance issues involved and getting that power to the ground via 265's and 3.15 LSD differential in the rear has really been effortless for the last 108K miles. Please don't lambast folks for their opinion because they are entitled to theirs just as you yours.

And before I forget, there's a guy around here who's been trying to sell his 3.6 M5 a while and seems to have difficulties getting it, what year is your e39 M5? Perhaps I can buy the aforementioned and trade you

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
How many liters does this set up result in ?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts