BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I've been building a few tools for a forum member and have decided to run off a few extras. I'm thinking I'll offer a set of tools that includes the following.

- Rear subframe bushing tool
- Differential bushing tool
- Rear wheel bearing tool
- Rear stub axle tool

All would be in a Pelican case and would be black oxide coated or hard anodized if aluminum. Thinking around $500.00 shipped to the lower 48.

-Greg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Greg - thanks for the opportunity to tool up. Any chance you could make these a la carte for folks who already have a few of the tools?

Also, what does the stub axle tool look like? I've bashed them out with a slide hammer in the past....(and never feel good about that sort of bashing!)

Thanks --

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Greg - thanks for the opportunity to tool up. Any chance you could make these a la carte for folks who already have a few of the tools?

Also, what does the stub axle tool look like? I've bashed them out with a slide hammer in the past....(and never feel good about that sort of bashing!)

Thanks --
Would be happy to make individual tools for people. Removal of the stub axle as you said is easiest with a slide hammer but when doing the install its nice to avoid beating on the new bearing! Here is a quick CAD image of the stub axle tool, let me know if you have any questions.

Stub_Tool_Break_Down_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

-Greg

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm apparently a long way from cool enough to PM, so I'll just post it here. Perhaps this a way to encourage me to spam everyone with 40 useless posts just so I can PM? ?????? Anyone have any necro-threads they'd like brought back from the dead? I'll see what I can do....

I've got a B90 and a 3026, but I've been looking at the diff bushings since I got the Touring and they are high on the list for this winter. Once I've got the rear end dismantled to that extent, and with ~230K on the car, I'll probably go after the rear bearings as well. It's a long winter :) Two questions:

1 - Could you give me a price for the diff bushing tool and the stub axle tool?

2 - How close in size is the diff bushing tool to the trailing arm bushing tool? I was considering going after those this winter as well, and the bushings look close in size, though I'm not sure the TA bushing tool would work on the diff bushings, or vise-versa.

Thanks! I think I'm allowed to receive PM's, so please PM. Perhaps I can reply if you start the conversation?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm apparently a long way from cool enough to PM, so I'll just post it here. Perhaps this a way to encourage me to spam everyone with 40 useless posts just so I can PM? ?????? Anyone have any necro-threads they'd like brought back from the dead? I'll see what I can do....

I've got a B90 and a 3026, but I've been looking at the diff bushings since I got the Touring and they are high on the list for this winter. Once I've got the rear end dismantled to that extent, and with ~230K on the car, I'll probably go after the rear bearings as well. It's a long winter :) Two questions:

1 - Could you give me a price for the diff bushing tool and the stub axle tool?

2 - How close in size is the diff bushing tool to the trailing arm bushing tool? I was considering going after those this winter as well, and the bushings look close in size, though I'm not sure the TA bushing tool would work on the diff bushings, or vise-versa.

Thanks! I think I'm allowed to receive PM's, so please PM. Perhaps I can reply if you start the conversation?
I would do the diff bushing tool and the stub axle tool together for $200 shipped in the lower 48.

The diff bushing tool and trailing arm bushings are close in size but a common tool wont work, you'll break any rod trying to remove the rear trailing arms bushings with a screw tool. The rear trailing arm bushings on the M5 are actually bearing assemblies and are pressed in to the rear trailing arms with a metal to metal interface (Standard E34 bushings are metal to metal as well). I built a portable tool setup that presses the bearings in and out but it takes a 10 ton piston and hand pump that are fairly pricey. BTW even with the ten ton piston at full tilt you whack the top die with a hammer to pope the bearings loose, makes a good noise :eek:oohhh: then the bearings come right out! If you have a hydraulic press I would be happy to turn out the mandrels for you to use.

-Greg

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would do the diff bushing tool and the stub axle tool together for $200 shipped in the lower 48.

The diff bushing tool and trailing arm bushings are close in size but a common tool wont work, you'll break any rod trying to remove the rear trailing arms bushings with a screw tool. The rear trailing arm bushings on the M5 are actually bearing assemblies and are pressed in to the rear trailing arms with a metal to metal interface (Standard E34 bushings are metal to metal as well). I built a portable tool setup that presses the bearings in and out but it takes a 10 ton piston and hand pump that are fairly pricey. BTW even with the ten ton piston at full tilt you whack the top die with a hammer to pope the bearings loose, makes a good noise :eek:oohhh: then the bearings come right out! If you have a hydraulic press I would be happy to turn out the mandrels for you to use.

-Greg
Sounds great Greg - I was unaware that the TA bushings on the e34M5 were bearing type. I'll leave those alone!

I can't PM, so email me at micah dot oc at gmail and we'll work out payment and such. No rush on putting them together; this is all over-winter work. Hopefully you'll get a big batch to put together.

Thanks!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds great Greg - I was unaware that the TA bushings on the e34M5 were bearing type. I'll leave those alone!

I can't PM, so email me at micah dot oc at gmail and we'll work out payment and such. No rush on putting them together; this is all over-winter work. Hopefully you'll get a big batch to put together.

Thanks!
Not saying the bearings shouldn't be replaced just making sure you knew. Will get you an email later this week once I test the prototype stub axle puller I just finished up. If all goes well I'll finish the remaining parts for the other setups and have them all black oxided!

Stub_Tool_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

-Greg

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Below is a complete setup for the rear end barring the rear trailing arm bushings/bearings (These require a hydraulic press but I have mandrels for those if people need them). Still waiting on a few pieces from plating but getting close.

Rear_Set_1 by 93FIM5, on Flickr

The setup allows you to replace the differential bushings, subframe bushings, rear wheel bearings, and pull in the stub axles into the bearings. Comes in a Pelican case.

Just shipped out a subframe tool today to a member in Georgia!

- Greg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Greg - if these are ready to go, please email me at micah dot oc at gmail so we can work out payment and shipping details.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts