BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looked on ebay and there must be at least 6 or 7 of them for sale at the moment!!!

For such a rare car, I can't believe so many are for sale at the same time!

I've never even seen another one on the road!!!

What's going on?

Why is everyone selling their cars??

??????
Steve

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There'll come a day when we wish we had kept our e34's, but I think there's alot for sale due to the falling values of all used performance cars. When mr x has the choice of paying 9k for a 1998 S4 with 85k miles or £8500 for a 1994/5 M5 with 100k miles plus the influence of Mrs x wanting the newer car, it's understandable why prices are low. I dont think the limited numbers and being the last of the hand built M car's is realised outwith of this and other M forums, IMHO.
cheers,
Phil.
p.s. 1992 3.8 (No15) - for sale (well maybe):D

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Phlem5 said:
There'll come a day when we wish we had kept our e34's, but I think there's alot for sale due to the falling values of all used performance cars. When mr x has the choice of paying 9k for a 1998 S4 with 85k miles or £8500 for a 1994/5 M5 with 100k miles plus the influence of Mrs x wanting the newer car, it's understandable why prices are low. I dont think the limited numbers and being the last of the hand built M car's is realised outwith of this and other M forums, IMHO.
cheers,
Phil.
p.s. 1992 3.8 (No15) - for sale (well maybe):D
------------
No one can underestimate the feminine influence in these matters.

Look at the Swedish link below - we have dozens...

http://www.blocket.se/search?q=M5&p..._y=0&year_o=0&bilhandlare=1&mile_s=0&mile_e=0

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yep Phil hit it on the head - you tell people you paid £10k for a ten year old car and they think you're nuts - and of course my better half, she refuses to go in it!!

So one of the cars on eBay is mine!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
Just looked on ebay and there must be at least 6 or 7 of them for sale at the moment!!!

For such a rare car, I can't believe so many are for sale at the same time!

I've never even seen another one on the road!!!

What's going on?

Why is everyone selling their cars??

??????
Steve
Come on Steve
I think you know why a few are letting them go.
You are percevereing with yours & whilst it is having a a couple of birthdays all at once, you are going to be left with a nice sorted M5 presently.
Its good spec & with a bit of cosmetic paint on the front end to get rid of chips, you will have a winner.

There are many who are tempted by the very low purchase price but soon find out how much of somebody elses trouble they have bought.
They are not prepared to spend Porche / Ferrari running costs putting them right.

You can see the reasoning.
Last October I was on the edge of ditching the b**ch after 4 yrs due to many problems occuring one after another.
I sat down & asked what I was going to replace it with.
If I went for another M5, it would be an E39 but that would have to come with a BMW warranty for very obvious reasons.
So you soon find that you are going to outlay £20k plus for some reassurance that you are not footing the cost for changing ABS wheel sensors with every oil service. Thats the least of it from what I understand.

You have to really want this model of M5 & thats where it starts & ends.

I like them but they can be a cruel mistress.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
farrell said:
Come on Steve
I think you know why a few are letting them go.
You are percevereing with yours & whilst it is having a a couple of birthdays all at once, you are going to be left with a nice sorted M5 presently.
Its good spec & with a bit of cosmetic paint on the front end to get rid of chips, you will have a winner.

There are many who are tempted by the very low purchase price but soon find out how much of somebody elses trouble they have bought.
They are not prepared to spend Porche / Ferrari running costs putting them right.

You can see the reasoning.
Last October I was on the edge of ditching the b**ch after 4 yrs due to many problems occuring one after another.
I sat down & asked what I was going to replace it with.
If I went for another M5, it would be an E39 but that would have to come with a BMW warranty for very obvious reasons.
So you soon find that you are going to outlay £20k plus for some reassurance that you are not footing the cost for changing ABS wheel sensors with every oil service. Thats the least of it from what I understand.

You have to really want this model of M5 & thats where it starts & ends.

I like them but they can be a cruel mistress.

Regards
Farrell
Fair point mate....

As we both know owning them and running them day to day is an expensive option.

Just struck me as weird, that there are loads all at once!!!

Should be collecting my one later!
All fixed and ready for a hammering!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Make no mistake, the M5 is a wonderful piece of kit and I love mine to bits.

I am just coming up to 12 months with the car and so far mine has had new tyres (not the cars fault), a new master cylinder, a new slave cylinder, 5 litres of oil, a new battery, new front discs and it is also in the garage at the moment getting repaired after the timing chain tensioner cover worked its way loose and emptied the oil contents of the engine onto the M1. Picking it up tomorrow:wroom: .

My piont is this, I knew that this was going to be the case when I bought the car, ownership of a 10 year old car that cost £50k when new is never going to be cheap.

I keep toying with the idea of selling mine and saving for an E46 M3, what stops me is the fact that every day on my way to work I will pass at least 3 of them. In my 12 months with my E34 I have only seen a handful of others !!

It seems exclusivity comes at a price...

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Jon Baker said:
I keep toying with the idea of selling mine and saving for an E46 M3, what stops me is the fact that every day on my way to work I will pass at least 3 of them. In my 12 months with my E34 I have only seen a handful of others !!

It seems exclusivity comes at a price...
Yes Jon
Fair point & you went in with your eyes open.
There could be another reason why you dont see many though.
They are always in the garage needing repairs.. :crying:
Mine is part time now so 2 working days out of 5 at most.

My mate has got an E46 M3 & loves it. I love the way it drives but ive been told by my other half that if I bought one now it would shout MIDLIFE CRISIS to those who did not know me (& maybe a few who do)
She was happy for me to take the E39 M5 route.
I feel the E46 M3 handles better than the E39 M5.

Both variants are pretty common in the area I live in.
Such is life.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"There could be another reason why you dont see many though.
They are always in the garage needing repairs.. :crying: "

Is that a dig at me old man????

:typing:

Steve

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Iam loving mine.. the only thing I would replace her with is a Z3M Coupe! But then I want to keep her also. Have a proper kit car for track etc.. the M for fun and then another car for hacking about in.

I think I have seen more E30 m3s on the road than E34 M5

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
"There could be another reason why you dont see many though.
They are always in the garage needing repairs.. :crying: "

Is that a dig at me old man????

:typing:

Steve
Oh Hello Mate...
Forgot yours was in for work again... Not :1:
What are you going to say to future propective buyers when they ask if its been garaged ?
"Yes mate, every efiin week..."

Yes, Im heading toward the big four 0 pretty fast.
Its not so much the age, its the mileage.

Dont forget you've only got one kiddie at the moment!
You wait until a few yrs down the line and yer girly Ariel Atom is covered in nappy sacks & childrens bicycles...
I can picture the scene.
"Go on Daddy, show us how you get in that funny little car under the ironing board in the garage."
Cant son, me beer guts in the way..

The futures bright, the futures a small lairy colured car named after a naff washing powder that no white van is ever gonna let past. :1:

LOL
Farrell

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
farrell said:
Oh Hello Mate...
What are you going to say to future propective buyers when they ask if its been garaged ?

Yes, Im heading toward the big four 0 pretty fast.
Its not so much the age, its the mileage.

You wait until a few yrs down the line and yer girly Ariel Atom is covered in nappy sacks & childrens bicycles...
I can picture the scene.
"Go on Daddy, show us how you get in that funny little car under the ironing board in the garage."

The futures bright, the futures a small lairy colured car named after a naff washing powder that no white van is ever gonna let past. :1:

LOL
Farrell
Harsh mate!!!

Beer gut??

I think we shall discuss further on Wednesday!!

Steve

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I didn't sell mine because of the running cost, or because I was tired of things breaking. I just wanted something different!

So I've bought an M3 Evolution. Which is sort of the same, but not as good in some ways, better in others.

However, the steering is at least a million times better than the M5's. Brakes aren't as good, though.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
farrell said:
Oh Hello Mate...

LOL
Farrell
:D :D :D :D :D :1: :1: :1: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts