BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Collected from Munich Legends a couple of weeks ago

As the car is now back home and I can now get to work on really cleaning it up.* I've had a bit of a go at the interior, still work in progress, I'll just leave these here for now.

I'll post some more pictures later.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Now my E34 M5 looks drab in comparison. Just yesterday it was one of the cleanest cars around.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Time, at last, for a little update.

Previous work concentrated on the chassis, suspension, running gear etc. The bit that really let the car down was the interior. The interior had been tidied up considerably, but there were some bits that required serious renovation. In particular the drivers seat and the door cards needed attention.

The drivers seat had been badly scratched, someone wearing a metal studded belt maybe? This was before the tidying up

It did look considerably better after re-dying, but the leather was quite hard and dried out.

The back seat was slightly scratched and had a small hole near the left side door.

Again, re-dying helped, but there was still a small hole in the leather.

Work started in October, the brief being to replicate the original interior as far as possible. I collected the car today, here are the results :

If you go back and look at the door card pictures, you might notice that the top piece is now also leather covered. Going to the trouble of redoing everything, I thought I might as well go the whole hog and do the door card tops and dash at the same time.

As the car has the front passenger air bag, I had a leather embossing stamp made to replicate the logo on the cover.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
There were also a few issues with the headlining, again it had been patched up but still was not perfect. Having gone to the trouble of replacing the leather, I thought it would be rude not to upgrade the headlining to anthracite Alcantara. I did this to my E39 M5 and it was one of the best changes I made to that car.

Before

After (difficult to take pictures of as it's relatively featureless)

The sun visors were the only part that was not covered, I need to do some lateral thinking to find a way to finish the Alcantara around the mirror openings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To the OP, I see you are in the UK. Are you doing the interior yourself, or at a shop (can you share the shop)?

Since I'm in the US, can anyone recommend a shop for this?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I don't have the time, space, equipment or skill to do this sort of work myself.

I used a small one man business in Malton, Yorkshire. Martin Dawson Upholstery, his colloquial name is Mr Perfect.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"Mr Perfect", in retrospect, that should have been obvious to me after seeing the photos...
Neither doubting nor criticizing your skills, to be clear...

I'm looking for similar near me in the US.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts