BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email from these guys asking if I was still interested. The more interest they get, the less it will cost us, so check it out.

http://www.strong-strut.com/E_34.html

Here's the email I received:

You have been blind copied on this message.
Please send us back a response one way or the other so we can judge what the potential market is for this accessory.

Dear E 34 driver. Sometime in the past, we communicated about your desire for a Strong-Strut brand strut brace for your car. We have this project about 50% completed and we're inquiring now to see if you are still interested. If you go to http://www.strong-strut.com and click on either the Z3 or Z4 link, you will see the design we have in mind for the e 34. The price will be approximately $385 but if we get a large, group buy going, it could be less. At this time, all we need to know is whether you are still interested or not. If not, we will purge your name and contact info from our list. We have a wealth of info on our web page but we will be happy to answer any questions you may have. We are projecting a finished product, ready to ship, in 3 months or less. We doubt if we will be able to design anything for the ///M models due to clearance issues. However, we haven't given up yet. We do need a local ///M model, any year as a test mule. We're in the metro Phoenix, AZ area.

Thank you, Paul & the Strong-Strut Team

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Dear Tutash.
If this part is for looks, then it will look great.:)

If you are looking for a strut brace to impart some actual worthwhile stiffness to resist twist, compression & deflection, I would seriously question any design that adds the mounting holes for the cross brace right on the join of the turret ring.
There is no triangulation gussets from the mounting ring to the brace bar to prevent the ring being pushed up under severe bump condition.

Lightening holes are an interesting subject.
Try this for a laugh.
Get a piece of stiff card some 3 ft long & cut to some 5" wide.
Fold up an inch on each side so you you have a "U" Channel.
Now compress, twist & sretch the card gently.
Now cut 5 "decorative holes" 2 inches in diameter & equispace them along the length & repeat the above.
Feel or see any difference ?
Lightening holes seem to feature in this companies designs.

It seems that the features listed are more an aid to the manufacturing process rather than an absolute aid to improving torsional stiffness.

Have the company put the part to test or used a finite element analysis tool to predict the amount of additional stiffness that the part gives ?

Farrell

·
Registered
7 Posts
In addition to Farrell's points, you may not be able to get it regardless. I received the same mail, and replied asking them if they were supporting the E34M5 and got this reply from Paul:

The M version may be a problem. We worked with one here in town about 2 years ago. At that time, there was no room to run a cross bar over the engine. We haven't given up yet though

I find this interesting, as Dinan has told me their strut brace was universal for all E34s including the M5.

-John

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Agree with Farrell 100%

The one strut brace I would like is the ACS one that looks like a part of the Eiffel Tower.

Pretty sure its only E46 / 36 fitment :(:(

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Racing Dynamics strut brace fits the 3.8 (just). There is good clearance between the brace and the plenum but the brace rubs against the insulation under the bonnet. It's not a fully triangulated design, but I do believe it improves initial turn in.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Both Farrell and Sebring NL are very experienced M5 owners/doers. If they are not sold neither would I be and neither should you be.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've tried one in the past on both road and track, and all I encountered was excess understeer.

The best fun I've had on track is by putting my wider tyres on the front with the narrower tyres on the back - gives lots of front-end grip and makes oversteer very easy to control & induce.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
IIRC, the wider ones were 225/650r17 and the narrower ones were 210/625r17 - all in Silverstone S585 rubber (tarmac rally rubber and not road legal). All in for 6 tyres (4 new, 2 used) was £300.

The others I had which I ruined on an airfield day were ex-Porsche Cup Pirelli P-Zero C/Corsa in 235/45r17 all round - but they were too expensive to buy again. All of these were part-worn to various degrees, but I got 11 for about £130.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My 1993 M5T has a strut brace.

Sharkfan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Any feedback on it? Which one is it? Any pics? have you driven before & after to judge its performance?
Not really much feedback as I haven't driven it without it, or any E34 M5 without one - it's very direct handling though.

The thread about my car is here

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87548

Some pics are on this page

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87548&page=2

and a pic is here

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=32966&d=1168182428

I don't know the make but I'll note it down and post it up

HTH

Sharkfan

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
I don't know the make

Sharkfan

Cyrus said:
Who makes that strut brace Sharkfan?
Hey Sal

what is this, playing Good Cop Bad Cop :hihi:

:cop: "Come on son, tell us who made the brace! We know you know, and we know what you know, but believe me, its better if we hear it from you!"

:grrrrr:"I swear to God man, I don't know nothin' about no brace!!"

:cop:''Come on, they like prettyboys like you in jail..."

:grrrrr:''Oh man they're gonna kill me if I tell..."

:cop:"Whaddya think we're gonna do sonny" ( flicks jacket back showing a rather large, black firearm)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts