BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Graphs copied from a thread in the E39 section.

Must say, my driving impressions of the E34 and E39 pretty much agree with the curves above.
When I first got the car (E34), I thought it wasn't running properly, it felt decidedly slow, particularly its response from down low. I soon realized I was just spoilt by the low down torque of the E39.

I'm yet to drive a E60, that steep horsepower increase from 400-> 500hp, looks orgasmic to say the least.:M5rev:
That said, in day to day driving, I suspect the E39 will remain more satisfying.:M5eyes:

All in all, the E34 remains an exciting ride. Its like an athletic petit brunette, while its younger sister, the E39, is the Pamela Anderson of the car world:thumbsup:

·
10,459 Posts
on the highway the difference is quite a bit less, assuming a stock e39. Open up the exhaust and intakes (headers, throttle bodies etc) and you'll see an extra 70hp on the top end of the e39, which really narrows the gap between it and an e60.

Both are fun cars, e39 has power, now, everywhere. The e34, you have to work for it a bit more, which is enjoyable when you're in the right mood.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
The E60 M5 is a lot closer to spirit to the E34 M5. The E39 M5 (S62 engine) is kinda an abnomaly.

If you look at the S85 V10 and the E34 M5's torque curve, they are very similar in characteristic.

I much prefer a high revving engine with power up top than a motor like the S62 which gets wheezy near the redline.

The E34 M5 is still my favorite M5....

·
10,459 Posts
i can't remember it stock, but the s62 is nowhere near wheezy at 7k rpm with headers and other bolt on mods (dinan s2 stuff). Others who have dared to taunt the rev limiters have seen it pull pretty strongly to 7600 rpms. Of course the rod bearings don't last long up there.

the e60 is in another league >6k rpm though.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Just wanted to point out that the comparison is a little off.

If this is a US model car then it will only be a 3.6 not a 3.8 as the 3.8 was not "clean" enough to pass emissions to be sold officially on the US.

Also the emissions modifications were a little more efficent by the time they came to the E39 model so the losses caused by this extra emissions equipment is less.

Finally on a track with two similar drivers at the helm there is less difference between the E34 and E39 than you would expect. The real difference is when the exiting corners where all that extra accessable torque really counts!

As for the comparisson with the E60 well such is the march of technology!

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
The E60 M5 is a lot closer to spirit to the E34 M5. The E39 M5 (S62 engine) is kinda an abnomaly.

If you look at the S85 V10 and the E34 M5's torque curve, they are very similar in characteristic.
very true. The E39 is more useable, but the V10 and L6 are the ones that raise my heartbeat.

IMO the 107hp difference between S85/62 is very real. Actually, if someone would call it 150 hp I'd buy it too. There's just something about that kick in the back in every gear that the S62 lacks, that's way more fluid and docile.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
very true. The E39 is more useable, but the V10 and L6 are the ones that raise my heartbeat.

IMO the 107hp difference between S85/62 is very real. Actually, if someone would call it 150 hp I'd buy it too. There's just something about that kick in the back in every gear that the S62 lacks, that's way more fluid and docile.

The reason why the E34 and E60 M5s feel so similar is because they deliver the most amount of torque within the last 2000-2500 rpm unlike the E39's S62.

When you are acceleration, you are always in the last 2000-2500 rpms of the engine's range.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
All in all, the E34 remains an exciting ride. Its like an athletic petit brunette, while its younger sister, the E39, is the Pamela Anderson of the car world:thumbsup:
I'd say the E34 is more like Pam. An aging well used beast often found with updated headlights and has probably had way too many drivers in her cockpit. Although still a blast as long as you have good rubber.

n

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know how much Rear wheel HP the E34 M5 3.6lt ZA spec had when it was new ?
The car has 222 600km on the clock.

Im on 221 RWhp up from 181RWhp after chip and Exhuast

·
Registered
758 Posts
Leet Pro-

It sounds like youre a little down on power there. My NA 3.6 with exhaust and software has put down nearly 285 rwhp AFTER I removed the Schrick 280 camshafts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You'd be surprised how well a healthy E34 M5 manages a 100 - 200 kmh run against an E39 M5

Stop looking at figures just try it !

(tried it 2 weeks ago and the E39 M5 owner wasn't too amused)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leet Pro-

It sounds like youre a little down on power there. My NA 3.6 with exhaust and software has put down nearly 285 rwhp AFTER I removed the Schrick 280 camshafts.
Yes I hear you, but my M5 was abused by the previous owner, Thats why I want to find out the stock rwhp when new vs my 181rwhp stock...
285 is a LOT! at how much rpm ?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I think in the hands of someone like Michael Shumacher then, at least in racing terms, the e34 is seriously outgunned by the E60 certainly. In real terms the differences are probably quite a lot smaller.

The differences between normal, non race-trained, drivers, is so vast that comparing cars isn't realistic.

Also many comparisons are based on single lap sprint situations. Long term differences in performance may prove less so. For example, there has been a virtually standard engined e34 m5 participating in endurance events with some success, and this against universally agreed, quicker (in a sprint anyway) Porsches.

Just my tupence.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
I think in the hands of someone like Michael Shumacher then, at least in racing terms, the e34 is seriously outgunned by the E60 certainly. In real terms the differences are probably quite a lot smaller.
Wise words.

this stacks up with my generally spread concern about the fact that performance cars have become out of grasp for most of the drivers.

Where cars evolve through HP wars, technology in suspension and tires etc, the drivers don't get better.

In the time of the E34 M5, there were enough people that couldn't drive the car on the edge. Now, the edge has become even harder to reach for mortal souls.

What to think of that?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sebring NL said:
......this stacks up with my generally spread concern about the fact that performance cars have become out of grasp for most of the drivers.

Where cars evolve through HP wars, technology in suspension and tires etc, the drivers don't get better..................
Wout,

That's the whole point nailed in two sentences.

These days a performance GTi is not in the running unless it puts out 200BHP - 225BHP.

A high-performance Saloon has to have at least 400BHP, and these days now nearer 500BHP to be considered 'serious'.

10 years ago the respective comparisons were circa 160BHP for a hot-hatch (remember the launch of the 306 GTI-6 ?) and 340-350BHP for hot saloon. (M5 / original E55).

Cars have come a helluva long way in this time - safer - faster - but drivers in the main are the same or even possibly worse (at least in the U.K.) - and hide behnind the many electronic gadgets / driver-aids that are designed to keep them on the road.

Maybe that's why the crashes you see now may be less frequent, but tend to be are far worse in consequence when you do see these drivers come off the road - many don't have a clue what to do, or how their car really behaves, when they breach the limits of the car's ability - long after they've sailed past their own abilities....:dunno:

·
10,459 Posts
you'd be surprised what headers, enlarged throttle bodies, cams, and other bolt on's can do to shrink that gap between an s85 and an s62. You can get awfully close to 500hp. (then again, you can always do the same mods to the s85 and open it back up again).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cars have come a helluva long way in this time - safer - faster - but drivers in the main are the same or even possibly worse (at least in the U.K.) - and hide behnind the many electronic gadgets / driver-aids that are designed to keep them on the road.

Maybe that's why the crashes you see now may be less frequent, but tend to be are far worse in consequence when you do see these drivers come off the road - many don't have a clue what to do, or how their car really behaves, when they breach the limits of the car's ability - long after they've sailed past their own abilities....:dunno:
Absolutely spot on TK !

Believe me, as a Firefighter working at a busy station that has a good combination of fast A roads on its surrounding area the more serious incidents involving cars we attend are generally those with a "play station generation" type behind the 10 deployed air-bags who, whilst deciding to depress the traction control off button thinking they can handle the power got it oh-so wrong !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Leet Pro-

If you're still on the board I was wondering if the 280's cost you power...or did you actually have more than 285whp w/ the camshafts ?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts