BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - first time here

I've owned my E34 M5 3.8 for a couple of years now and (due to unforeseen circumstances) I am now converting it to a racecar for the Toyo Tires Saloon Car series.

I'm part way through and would be interested to hear from anyone out there who has undertaken a similar project build.

Any do's / don't's would help.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Welcome aboard Andy, that sounds absolutely brilliant - I salute you!!

I have an ex-BTCC Superproduction Honda ITR that's been made road-legal - I'd love to do the same to my M5 ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nebpor

Its not a course of action I would have chosen but the car was written off in the floods here in Sheffield last June and after the insurance paid me out I couldn't bear to see the old girl broken for parts so it seemed logical to turn it stage 1 into a fast-road track beastie to go to Le Mans in and then stage 2 - race the bugger!

I'm just concious that after building my E30 Touring as a racecar project that there are many pitfalls and there must be a wealth of E34 M5 knowledge out there on suspension / braking / adjustable top mounts that I don't want to reinvent the wheel researching.

Any help / guidance gratefully received.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We recently saw one parked up at the Ring car park, it was fully stripped out, carbon bits here and there, I haven't a clue what the spec was but perhaps if the owner is on here he may share some of his knowledge?

Rich

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have an article scanned onto a pdf format about 2 E34's turned into race cars. PM me if you want copies.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Andy, I wish you all the best with your project and i hope you can keep us updated with pic's etc. I think that with all things racing what you could do comes down to how much can do you've got to throw at it.
Board member 'dickrs' has a stripped out s38 as his nurburgring toy, search a few of his posts for some pointer's. iirc, he has cf bonnet and doors, big mov-it brakes and no doubt a load of other bits and pieces to help it along.
cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm underway stripping the car at the moment so will post some progress pics as things take shape. Anyone need any interior bits pm me - it's all coming out!

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
We recently saw one parked up at the Ring car park, it was fully stripped out, carbon bits here and there, I haven't a clue what the spec was but perhaps if the owner is on here he may share some of his knowledge?

Rich
This is the car mentioned . From what I remember he had opted for KW Variant 2 dampers , roll cage , late E34 M5 floating discs and calipers up front , roll cage etc etc .

I also remember a guy from Bury St Edmunds that was racing an E34 M5 in the Kumho championship last year advertising his car for sale fairly recently and he would be a wonderful contact if you could locate him .

Best wishes with the project and keep us in touch !

D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The 2007 Kuhmo championship was won by an E34 M5! It would also be worth talking to the Belgium team who race one at GT level in Dubai etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys

Jon - Its a 5 speed '93 model. Its LHD with German history and last owner on the Isle of Man

Davidoli - Yes those pictures are a great inspiration. I'm going with KW Variant 2 as I've got that on my 320 Touring and its a great system. I am also going with a Custom Cages rollcage - triangulated to the front struts, short shift, Eibach adjustable top mounts, EBC discs with yellow stuff pads, Toyo R888's etc.

I would be interested in any details on race / semi-race exhaust systems (non-cat) and uprated bushes.

Andy

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I would be interested in any details on race / semi-race exhaust systems (non-cat) and uprated bushes.

Andy
Andy, as I understand it, the 3.8 manifold, cats & exhaust are works of art from the factory - they are hideously expensive high-flowing cats and removing them doesn't liberate anything except some more sound.

Are you trying to achieve more power, or less weight? I'd wager you could save weight out of the factory exhausts, but not more power!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nebpor - not too bothered about the sound (yeah right!) but I assumed I could liberate a few nags by removing the cats? Also cats are just one more expense when I visit the scenery and bash them up! I was planning to leave manifolds as standard at this stage.

On paper whilst its a heavy car compared to my likely competition the power advantage should help. I'm up against E30 M3's / RX7 / Lotus Sunbeams / Rover SD1's / E36 M3's / Merc Cosworths / 3dr & Sapphire Cosworths etc.

It'll be fun. The building of the car is the best bit :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nebpor - not too bothered about the sound (yeah right!) but I assumed I could liberate a few nags by removing the cats? Also cats are just one more expense when I visit the scenery and bash them up! I was planning to leave manifolds as standard at this stage.

On paper whilst its a heavy car compared to my likely competition the power advantage should help. I'm up against E30 M3's / RX7 / Lotus Sunbeams / Rover SD1's / E36 M3's / Merc Cosworths / 3dr & Sapphire Cosworths etc.

It'll be fun. The building of the car is the best bit :)
Andy, I've just seen that you're based in Sheffield. I used to live there until recently when I moved back to Scotland. I have some friends down there that might possibly have some useful contacts for sourcing parts etc. they are mainly Integrale nuts but you never know, they may be able to help. Even if not, I would love to see the car next time I am visiting Sheff!

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Evoman - I had a lovely Integrale Evo I which I reluctantly sold a couple of years ago to finance the racing. Great cars and I've been mulling over getting another one or maybe an E30 M3.

I bought it in Italy, caned it back over the Alps and had some great times with it. Should never had sold it but that's often the case isn't it?

If you have any contacts locally here in Sheffield that would be great. I spend a lot of time & money with the guys at Quarry Motors who are great too.

Next time you're coming to Sheffield let me know. I have endless 'pipedream projects' on the go.....I might one day even finish my E30 320 Cab racecar...

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks Evoman - I had a lovely Integrale Evo I which I reluctantly sold a couple of years ago to finance the racing. Great cars and I've been mulling over getting another one or maybe an E30 M3.

I bought it in Italy, caned it back over the Alps and had some great times with it. Should never had sold it but that's often the case isn't it?

If you have any contacts locally here in Sheffield that would be great. I spend a lot of time & money with the guys at Quarry Motors who are great too.

Next time you're coming to Sheffield let me know. I have endless 'pipedream projects' on the go.....I might one day even finish my E30 320 Cab racecar...

Cheers

Andy
Cool, you know where I'm coming from then, involvement behind the wheel at an astonishing level for a road car. I have occassionaly considered selling mine for something like an Exige or a Caterham, but I really don't think I'll let it go as it is a good 'un.

Sounds like you have similar good tastes!

I'll ask some friends down there and see what comes of it regarding parts/tuning. I've heard Quarry Motors mentioned before by one of the guys.

I would be interested to see the M5 project, will definately be down in Sheff over the spring/summer time; I'll drop you a PM closer to the time.

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
406 Posts
This is the car mentioned . From what I remember he had opted for KW Variant 2 dampers , roll cage , late E34 M5 floating discs and calipers up front , roll cage etc etc .

I also remember a guy from Bury St Edmunds that was racing an E34 M5 in the Kumho championship last year advertising his car for sale fairly recently and he would be a wonderful contact if you could locate him .

Best wishes with the project and keep us in touch !

D
same car i believe with some RK's

·
Registered
37 Posts
saw his car at the ring last weekend,awesome if its on track.also spoke to the man with the red kumho championship car. he may still have it..if youre interested i have a full coilover kit i had built by gaz in basildon.
far too hard for the road but may be what you need.i actually went back to standard for the ring and it was a lot smoother this trip. am in devon on 01626 888500

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Saw this one at Oulton Park last year.

Wanted to get some really good photos of it but my phone died. He was saying it was quite an even playing field power-wise as the classes were based on power to weight. He had 'about' 380bhp and was down to 'about' 1400kg.

The car was in great condition inside & out - put my 3.8 to shame on bodywork condition alone.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts