BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Brian, I bought Amsoil synthetic ATF and 75/90 for g/box & final drive and I noticed my gear change feels better than before - less notchy. hard to tell if the FD is any better. I was also considering using Millers oils, as I have heard nothing but good reports on their stuff. Amsoil can be bought from Performance oils, 01598 752782 - Chas, if you speak to him you'll find he is helpfull and know's his stuff. Say hello from me. ( guy in Scotland with M5)

cheers,
Phil.
yewcorner said:
Can anyone offer any advice on what oils to use in my Gearbox and LSD? The car has done 136k miles.

Regards

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Phil, I'll check them out. BMW told me they used Castrol SLX, which I can't find any info on? and the handbook says ATF, (your authorised dealer will know the correct grades.) But ........ that was 12 years ago and the car has done 136k miles?

Appreciate your help ............. I have the same colour M5 as you (Avus) with SilverGrey Amaretta cloth interior, 92(K). It looks like you have an after market exhaust? What brand is it and how do you find it. Also do you use Amsoil for your engine and what weight?

The previous owner of my car used Miller oils and highly rated it, but its difficult to source as is the Amsoil.

Anyway, thanks again Phil

Cheers

Brian


Phlem5 said:
Brian, I bought Amsoil synthetic ATF and 75/90 for g/box & final drive and I noticed my gear change feels better than before - less notchy. hard to tell if the FD is any better. I was also considering using Millers oils, as I have heard nothing but good reports on their stuff. Amsoil can be bought from Performance oils, 01598 752782 - Chas, if you speak to him you'll find he is helpfull and know's his stuff. Say hello from me. ( guy in Scotland with M5)

cheers,
Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Hello Brian,
well observed, it is a supersprint rear section, sounds nice dont know if it helps performance or not and yes I did buy engine oil as well. I went for Amsoil series 2000, 20w/50, so far done about 1900 miles since it was changed and my low oil message hasn't gone off yet, prior to that I was using about a litre (0w/30) every 900-1000 miles, downside it is quite expensive circa £40 + vat for 5 litres, some of the other guy's on the board recommend silkolene pro ? - search for 'engine oil' threads, there's no shortage of advice, makes a decision harder though....My car has 132k on the clock and black cloth interior, which I prefer to leather and seems quite rare as well.
cheers,
Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Phil

I just checked out the Miller oil site and will probably get some of the CFS 15w60 Synthetic oil at £31.95 per 5 Litres as the recommended Castrol TWS 10w/60 seems to go about 1500 miles per litre (to thin?) and the original handbook suggests a 15w oil. However if the 20w oil has done 1900 miles so far then maybe I should look at this instead? Your right, to much choice though!!


With regard the interior ............ I looked at a number of leather clad M5s but plumped for the cloth. I reckon this stuff will last a lot longer than any leather interior and also adds a bit of colour with the motorsport colours! Thanks again.

Cheers

Brian


Phlem5 said:
Hello Brian,
well observed, it is a supersprint rear section, sounds nice dont know if it helps performance or not and yes I did buy engine oil as well. I went for Amsoil series 2000, 20w/50, so far done about 1900 miles since it was changed and my low oil message hasn't gone off yet, prior to that I was using about a litre (0w/30) every 900-1000 miles, downside it is quite expensive circa £40 + vat for 5 litres, some of the other guy's on the board recommend silkolene pro ? - search for 'engine oil' threads, there's no shortage of advice, makes a decision harder though....My car has 132k on the clock and black cloth interior, which I prefer to leather and seems quite rare as well.
cheers,
Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,073 Posts
Brian, I think the millers stuff will be a good choice although Mmm-Five's Silky stuff is popular and v.reasonable. Regarding the viscosity, I don't put too much emphasis on the 'W' figure as this only comes into to play in low temp situations, generally in the UK it doesn't get much worse than -4oC. In my case with the 20w I do not exceed 3000 rpm until my oil temp is on the move. The higher figure is more important in my view when it comes to consumption and temperature resistance. Let us know what you think of the Millers oil.
Good shout re seats, plus the leather seats look the same as any other 5 with the sports seat option.
cheers,
Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
yewcorner said:
With regard the interior ............ I looked at a number of leather clad M5s but plumped for the cloth. I reckon this stuff will last a lot longer than any leather interior and also adds a bit of colour with the motorsport colours! Thanks again.

Cheers

Brian
I agree about the seat, although I went for the grey cloth/amaretta. 150,000 miles and still looks new - can't see any leather seats lasting that long!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top