BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I'm an Australian expat who's been living in Jakarta since 2000.

A few days ago I ended up buying one of my all time favorite cars a Oct 1990 build E34 M5

It has done a genuine 52,000 kilometers (approx 30,000 miles) and is in really good shape , no rust at all.

It was regularly driven by the son of a 4 star army general from 1991 to 1998 then put in storage until May 2012 when they had a 'garage sale' . A customer of mine (a BMW enthusiast) purchased it from the general's son in May 2012 and then decided he had enough cars and decided to sell the M5 (he has a 730il and 750il and a 3 Merc S class and doesn't like manuals)

I own an aircraft and parts trading business and have a pretty well equipped workshop and handy with tools so I will be asking a lot of questions.

Here's the build sheet and some photos of the M5

Vehicle information
Type Value
VIN WBSHD92010GA25324
Type code HD92
Type M5 (EUR)
E series E34 ()
Series 5
Type LIM
Steering RL
Doors 4
Engine S38
Displacement 3.60
Power 232
Drive HECK
Transmission MECH
Colour SCHWARZ 2 (668)
Upholstery (9990)
Prod.date 1990-10-17

Options
Code
Description (interface)
Description (EPC)
S199A AUSSTATTUNG BLEIHALTIGER KRAFTSTOFF without catalytic converter
S302A ALARMANLAGE Alarm system
S401A SCHIEBE-HEBEDACH, ELEKTRISCH Lift-up-and-slide-back sunroof, electric
S430A INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S459A SITZVERSTELLUNG, ELEKTR.MIT MEMORY Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
S500A SCHEINW.WASCHANL./INTENSIVREINIGUNG Headl.washer system/intensive cleaning
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S548A KILOMETERTACHO Kilometre speedo
S560A LESELEUCHTEN IM FOND Reading light in rear compartment
S687A RADIOVORBEREITUNG Radio preparation
S781A LM Rad 9Jx17 auf Hinterachse BMW LA wheel M Kontur
S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Dispatch protection pack

Individual vehicle data
Text
Z1XX Special upholstery
= Innenausstattung in Komplettleder Walk-Nappa schwarz,
wie Schl.Nr. 0330
(Bereitstellung Schalttafel-Oberteil durch ZS-411)

The car feels tight with no rattles , squeaks and goes like hell without hesitation.

My goal is to bring the M5 back to top condition with a minimum amount of modification and drive it for at least the next 20 years.

Immediate work as follows

1. New tires all round

2. Idle control valve - idle jumps to 2,500rpm when the air conditioning is turned on , 1,000 rpm with air conditioning off

3. Replace or rebuild the rear shocks , PO has put non self leveling shocks in the back , I have the old OEM shocks

4. Remove the 535i badge from the rear and put the M5 front badge on the correct side of the front grill

5. Annoying steering wheel squeak.

6. Repair the air conditioning system , no air conditioning at the moment , it was working on Sunday prior to buying the car and now just blows hot air so could be a leak

7. Change all the fluids and filters , this has been done by the PO but I want to do it again so I know what fluids have been used.

8. Upgrade the stereo system head , the original Blaupunkt has a dead display and the speakers may need to be replaced as well , I want something compatible with an iPhone or iPod , I will keep the original radio for future generations that may want to restore the car after I'm gone (I'm 50 now)

9. Thoroughly clean and treat the leather seats, the seats are in good condition but the leather is a bit hard and needs some elbow work.

10. Some small dents and scratches that need repair.

11. Find out why the Brake Lining warning is coming on (only when I turn the ignition on or off) , the PO 'said' he put new brake linings in.

12. Clean the boot carpet and replace some of the missing tools in the toolkit (about half are still there)

13. Replace the ugly $2 black rubber floor mats the PO has put in. Carpet is like new.

All the lights work , trip computer is functioning , sunroof and windows all work great, doors have no sag and close like new.

Here's some photos a few days before I bought it

From what I can find out there are approx 10 to 12 E34 M5s 3.6L in Indonesia with only 5 on the M Registry. I purchased a genuine S38B36 engine in a jakarta junkyard complete with headers in 2007 for $800 and at the time I was told the owner got sick of bad fuel economy so somewhere in Jakarta there's an M5 running around with a 525 six :-( , I bought that M5 engine 5 years ago in the hope I would find an M5 here (which finally happened), so I have a spare engine already.

To me the E34 is the best looking of all the M5s, I've always wanted one.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics of my spare engine , an $800 junkyard find from 2007

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

I'm going to replace the hood and boot M badges with new normal white and blue BMW badges , I think there's too many 'M' badges on the car and the 535i badge is also coming off

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What tyre size is a good match for these rims ?

S781A LM Rad 9Jx17 auf Hinterachse BMW LA wheel M Kontur

I'm thinking of going wider 10mm over standard front and rear

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks ferrari-bmw

I've named it 'Darth Beemer' , everything is black on black ... with more black ...

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The top of the dashboard is covered in stitched leather , I've never seen that before on other M5s pics on the internet , is this part of the special trim option I wonder ?

Z1XX Special upholstery = Innenausstattung in Komplettleder Walk-Nappa schwarz, wie Schl.Nr. 0330 (Bereitstellung Schalttafel-Oberteil durch ZS-411)

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,319 Posts
Bagus!

Your leather dash is part of the special trim -- i think. My E28 m5 has a leather dash as well.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 5280 , u have a nice collection of M5s !

Which is your favorite ?

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Welcome to the M5Board AseanAero and what a lovely E34 M5 you have bagged !

In answer to a couple of your questions .

On staggered Throwing Star alloys , optimum tyre sizes are 235/45/17 front ( on the 8j rim ) and 255/40/17 rear on the 9j rim .

Your rear TS covers look to be on the wrong side of the car , so it would be the ideal opportunity to correct that when having the tyres fitted .

I agree with your decision to remove the badges and keep the car subtle and understated , although it's all down to personal taste and preference .

Enjoy your new M5 and do not hesitate to ask questions on here , as their is an abundance of knowledge , expertise and opinion !

One Big , Happy , E34 M5 Loving Family !!!!!!

D

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up on the throwing stars and tires David,

A big smile appears on my face when the tach goes over 4,000rpm , I love the turbine like power curve ... but still a well mannered pussycat in traffic. I've had no overheating issues at all and it's normally 35 to 40 deg C here and 90% humidity.

The best part of the car is the body is totally rust and damage free other than a few small dents and scratches from the millions of motorbikes we have in Jakarta.

The drivetrain is like new , there's no rattles , rumbles and everything feels tight.

The biggest issue at the moment is hose and rubber replacement , the car has been under a tarp in a garage for 14 years once it hit 7 years old (rich Indonesians don't like to be seen in obsolete models).

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My M5 is fitted with option S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version , what's the difference to normal European spec M5s ?

One mod I would like to do is an oil cooler , on my off road jeeps I was driving here it made a huge difference to keeping temps under control.

I think BMW got this engine really right , a great balance of performance and longevity , so I don't want to mess with it. Given the roads we have here the performance the M5 has is more than adequate for the moment.

P.S.

One of the great things about this country is there are no speed cameras, radars ... or speeding tickets and loss of license points, I don't know anyone that has got a speeding ticket in the 12 years I've been here. However on the roads where you can open up the M5 there are people that try and cross the tollway at 2am in pitch black night and most drivers don't use their rear view mirrors and drive like tranquilized ducks (Indo autobarn ... -yard (not autobahn) due to to the erratic behavior of other drivers. If you do get pulled over by the cops a donation for an after hours beer or lunch of $5 to $20 tends to solve most problems.

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
453 Posts
That is very nice with such low mileage.
The leather covered dash is part of "highline" optional trim. Very nice addition.
PS - you already have an engine oil cooler if that is what you are referring to.
I think the hot climate version might be a low compression engine. Are you part of the gulf region?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Fordkoppie ,

Jakarta is about 1,000km south of Singapore and the equator , we don't get temps below 25 deg C and the highest we will see is 40 deg C but very high humidity.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That car looks very close to mine except the trunk wing, wrong steering side and B36 instead of B38...and I can say, I'm jelous of your kms!!! wow! Glad the car ended up in good hands:grinyes:

What's up witht he 535i badge?

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,319 Posts
Thanks 5280 , u have a nice collection of M5s !

Which is your favorite ?
Thanks. I've been tempted by an e34 Touring, but just haven't found "the one." I'm a big fan of the e34s.

My favorite m5 is my e28. She's undergoing a full euro restoration -- about two years into it right now. I don't think I'd ever sell her. The e39 and e60 are great as well, but finding a good clean example of an e28 or e34 is getting harder to do. As you've noted, the s38 above 4000 rpm is glorious, and (believe it or not) the s85 in my e60 reminds me of the s38. Glorious over 4000 rpm.

My question to you is where can you get your e34 over 4000 rpms in Jakarta traffic? :dunno:

We were just in Indo in February visiting family in Jakarta, Cisalak, Seminyak, and Singapore. I took my fiance over, she'd never been...and loved it. I was born and raised in The States (bi-lingual), but other than my parents, my entire family is in Indo.

Congrats on your e34!
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My question to you is where can you get your e34 over 4000 rpms in Jakarta traffic?
Jagorawi tollway to Bogor at 3am or the new toll to Bandung which is a great road for 200kmh +

Jagorawi toll at 3am in an M3 off youtube. The toll is deserted at that time of the morning.

Jagorawi toll in a Honda during the day , as you can see the road discipline isn't good

I think I may take the car to the occasional track day to enjoy it

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's up witht he 535i badge?
That badge is coming off , a lot of the badging here is status , I think as the car got older not many people know what an M5 is here and the car was probably mistaken for a 520 or 525 in a social situation causing embarrassment to the owner. :)

Also the aftermarket M badges coming off the bonnet and boot , I'm putting the standard blue and white BMW propeller badges back on

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We were just in Indo in February visiting family in Jakarta, Cisalak, Seminyak, and Singapore. I took my fiance over, she'd never been...and loved it. I was born and raised in The States (bi-lingual), but other than my parents, my entire family is in Indo.
5280 , did you notice most of the high end ferraris , porsches and bmws that you see in Jakarta are usually on the back of a transporter truck (probably on the way to the workshop , home or Sentul race circuit) ? I rarely see high performance cars driven on the road here.

Also in 12 yrs I've never seen an E34 M5 in Indonesia before I bought this one , I knew there were some around but never seen one .

I have seen some of the later M3 , M5 and M6 on the road but only in the last few years, I guess after the 1998 Asian financial crisis it took nearly 10 years for the country to recover

1 - 20 of 618 Posts