BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original muffler (91 M5, 120,000 miles, excellent condition otherwise) has failed and I am faced with a cat-back replacement. The original exhaust system on these cars is quite good, so I am tempted to go factory, but that is not without cost. I'm sure there are excellent third part components, too. Advice and experience appreciated.

fyi: The car is primarily driven on public roads; and, while I enjoy a reasonable sound level from the exhaust (current BMWs tend to seem very, very quiet to me), the neighbors would not appreciate being awakened each night by an incredibly agressive note. I have driven a 2003 M5 with a Supersprint exhaust and found that quite satisfactory - but V8's often have pleasing sounds; and this is, of course, a six.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a stainless steel exhaust on mine and it is very noisey but if the cost in not an issue i would get a standard centre section and a stainless rear box as this is the part of the exhaust that gets the most abuse from the westher etc...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Gilbert, theres alot of exhaust threads on here but condenses down to Eisenmann, SuperSprint and BMW O.E. The Supersprint seems to be the best option as it is as good as the OE system, lighter than the OE part and cheaper than the Eisenmann system. I get the impression the Eisenmann system is (slightly) the best (lightest) of the bunch but it is too expensive, although US prices might be better.

Cheers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Could someone give me prices for the Supersprint in Europe? The Spanish importer doesn't bring the E34 line anymore, so I'm a bit grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr
also, any benefit on swapping the exhaust manifold? I've seen a "M gmbh" manifold that looked the part..., but I don't know if it'll be worth it. I'm quite new to BMWs, after a bunch of VWs!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yorldi said:
Could someone give me prices for the Supersprint in Europe? The Spanish importer doesn't bring the E34 line anymore, so I'm a bit grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr
also, any benefit on swapping the exhaust manifold? I've seen a "M gmbh" manifold that looked the part..., but I don't know if it'll be worth it. I'm quite new to BMWs, after a bunch of VWs!!
-------------

I have been told not to touch the manifold, it is a precision piece of art.
Is it any wonder Supersprint do not make this item for our cars?

In Sweden the Supersprint system is 10,000kr, at Euro 9,4 this is equivelant to 1064Euros for the cat back system, ie middle muffler, and rear box. Fitting is very simple. The system sounds superb throughout the rev ranges. Its much much lighter than the original boat anchor mass that was the OEM system. The pipes stick out about 3cms too much from the rear apron, easily fixed if you have a half handy mechanic. See pic below.

If you have difficulty ordering in Spain - why not order form Italy?

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Fitting is no problem, i can make it ar my own work ( and after that I'll remap it...)
I've tried to order from Italy, but they said I had to contact the spanish importer, and the importer tells me they don't stock the E34 M5 anymore.
And if my memory doesn't fail (much), about 6 years ago there was a Supersprint manifold and metallic cats available!!!!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Jahangeer said:
The pipes stick out about 3cms too much from the rear apron, easily fixed if you have a half handy mechanic.
I take it that you have left yours as is supplied? How would you go about fitting it so that it does not stick out further than the OEM one?

I fear my exhaust will need replacing in the not too distant, and am considering the supersprint one, but am not keen on it not looking stock.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine needs to be replaced NOW (mainly the cats, which are killed...). I'll finally go for the Supersprint and some metallic kats. Hope it sounds good, 'cos I just love the way the big 6 sounds!! Not that nasty "myrodbearingsaregoingtojumpoutprettysoon" E46 M3 thing!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yorldi said:
Mine needs to be replaced NOW (mainly the cats, which are killed...). I'll finally go for the Supersprint and some metallic kats. Hope it sounds good, 'cos I just love the way the big 6 sounds!! Not that nasty "myrodbearingsaregoingtojumpoutprettysoon" E46 M3 thing!!
---------------

Maybe you should speak to Cyrus - a member on this board who I am sure can help getting it to you in Spain.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I will; send you a supersprint to spain. Thanks for the mention Jahangeer!

Anyway, if you want prices see here:

www.xsperformance.co.uk/e30zone

click on e34 m5 on the right hand side menu to find what your looking for.

POstage will be higher to Spain.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
illjah said:
I take it that you have left yours as is supplied? How would you go about fitting it so that it does not stick out further than the OEM one?

I fear my exhaust will need replacing in the not too distant, and am considering the supersprint one, but am not keen on it not looking stock.
-------------
The complete exhaust SS sytem comes in two pieces - if you take off two/three cm's from the pipe on the rear box that goes into the middle silencer pipes, then move the attachments for the rubber rings holding up the whole system the same distance, it should work, I haven't actually done it yet :7: - but that is the theory.....more or less. I have a good mechanic and well equipped work shop including top class welding equipment - should we run into any bother.

I think the pipes will look good once this is done, at the moment it looks quite nice, but since its a small part of the car in terms of visuals, one that you HEAR more than see, its not something I am in a rush to get done, but have marked down March 06 for the work (the car will be hibernating from 1Dec-28Feb).

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Jahangeer said:
-------------
The complete exhaust SS sytem comes in two pieces - if you take off two/three cm's from the pipe on the rear box that goes into the middle silencer pipes, then move the attachments for the rubber rings holding up the whole system the same distance, it should work, I haven't actually done it yet :7: - but that is the theory.....more or less. I have a good mechanic and well equipped work shop including top class welding equipment - should we run into any bother.

I think the pipes will look good once this is done, at the moment it looks quite nice, but since its a small part of the car in terms of visuals, one that you HEAR more than see, its not something I am in a rush to get done, but have marked down March 06 for the work (the car will be hibernating from 1Dec-28Feb).
Is that your new wheels i can nearly see on the car as well? You used to have the e39 M5 wheels yes? Went for the lighter ones?

Could you post a pic taken more from the side of the car to show clearer how far the tail pipes protrudes?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
illjah said:
Is that your new wheels i can nearly see on the car as well? You used to have the e39 M5 wheels yes? Went for the lighter ones?

Could you post a pic taken more from the side of the car to show clearer how far the tail pipes protrudes?

Cheers!
-------------------

I have planned a new wheel purchase next spring - those are still the E39 wheels, I thought I was putting the beast away for the winter so no point in getting the lighter wheels just yet as the temperature is dropping to 0 overnight here in Sweden.

some pics on this thread - not the angle you wanted. Will post some more better ones when my camera is back from being repaired.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48461

·
Registered
546 Posts
The price for stock and supersprint here is about the same. You can order from turnermotor sports. The B&B is available but is noticeablly louder and there is a 3-4 week delay as it considered custom, this is also the lowest cost. Available from bavauto.com or hopup racing. If you wish to maintain same noise level I suggest stock. If you search the threads there were some very useful ones posted disussing the varios systems available that I found useful. I went for the B&B do to limited funds.

·
Registered
911 Posts
For anybody thats interested,I have an all but brand new(Max. 500 miles) Supersprint rear box with very minor damage. Pm me with Questions/offers. I can send pics but the damage doesnt really show!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Geach said:
For anybody thats interested,I have an all but brand new(Max. 500 miles) Supersprint rear box with very minor damage. Pm me with Questions/offers. I can send pics but the damage doesnt really show!
how exactly is it damaged? Blown out, banged up?

·
Registered
911 Posts
redl1nerpm said:
how exactly is it damaged? Blown out, banged up?
Very very minor dent in 'outside' tailpipe,as if its been let drop on it. where the end rolls over instead of being rounded its got a section (3/4") thats flat. Does that make sense? can really only be seen from up close. Will try to get some pics in a min but it doesnt really show up that clearly.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Heres a pic,but its too hard to see really,the closest edge to the camera has the flat spot, also looking at it compared to the one on my car it looks as if that tailpipe is closer to the other one than it should be.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts